Are arm punches really that bad?

UnderTheBridge

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My boxing trainer keep telling me that I don't throw punches correctly because I almost don't move the hips when I throw them and my body almost doesn't move. Is it that bad? I just seem to be better this way... Are there successful fighters who are known to throw "arm punches"?

No. Arm punches have no power in them. That does not mean that they are completely useless. If you need to do a feint or a distraction to set up something else speed is more important than power. Other than that arm punches do way less damage than "hip" punches. Just move you hips left and right and throw a hook. Then throw a hook without moving your hips. You will see the diference.

So yes arm punches are bad

did you see Forrest Griffin beating Shogun Rua and Rampage Jackson ?

cant be that bad.

Its ok. Its good to hip punch but if you cant thats ok too. You work to your strengths.
watch Nick n Nate Diaz or Paul Williams in boxing.

Shit , Ali was a notorious arm puncher.....didnt bother him the least.

No. Arm punches have no power in them. That does not mean that they are completely useless. If you need to do a feint or a distraction to set up something else speed is more important than power. Other than that arm punches do way less damage than "hip" punches. Just move you hips left and right and throw a hook. Then throw a hook without moving your hips. You will see the diference.

They have LESS power..

Technically most combinations are arm punches. You arm punch a right hand to set up a left hook.

arm punches are not good. you are just being lazy and not wanting to put some effort into your training. people will just walk through your punches to nail you. use the right techniques, who knows you could have some real power.

Technically most combinations are arm punches. You arm punch a right hand to set up a left hook.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Even if the earlier punches in a combination are feints, you need your body weight to be appropriately positioned to throw whatever the "real" strike of the combination is. The punch that sets up a left hook should also put your body weight over your left foot so that the body is behind the hook. You get your body weight over the left by driving with the right foot and putting your body into the leading right.

Arm punches are less powerful and more tiring since you are just using your arms and not getting your whole body weight into it.

Um... no.

The full body rotation on a punch with one hand sets up the next punch with the other hand. If you're just throwing the first punch with your arm you're gonna have to wind up/load up the second punch to get any power on it.

Always strive to use proper technique.

What have you achieved just using arm punches? Is it truly that difficult to learn to use your hip in conjunction with your striking?

The only time I throw an arm punch is when I'm trying to NOT hurt someone in sparring, or when I'm just messin with someone.

If you don't have respectable power...anyone you fight will walk through your attacks to hit you because you can't stop them.

Power is generated at the hips with all punches. This spans every martial art in the world, so there's a reason for it. If you don't put your hip into it, you'll never generate the power to really devastate.

All the gyms I have trained at have at least one guy who thinks he knows better than the trainer. That guy who feels the need to debate every instruction or criticism that is given to him because he sees it a different way. The guy who can tell you all about what works in a fight, yet has no experience in the subject

My boxing trainer keep telling me that I don't throw punches correctly

Then you probably aren't throwing your punches correctly. Have you sparred anyone yet? I can assure you that once you do, it won't seam better that way =]

There are going to be a lot of things that your trainer wants you to do that will feel very unnatural, and you're going to have to fight your instincts. Getting hit in the face hard is probably going to make you want to curl up (if it doesn't knock you out/down), and it most certainly would feel better that way, but you have to train yourself to respond differently.

Think of anything you've done for a long time: riding a bike, speaking a language, etc. anything that you've done consistently throughout your life. Now think of how much you know about those things, all of the little details. How you shift your weight on a bike, sentence structure...

Your trainer most likely has this kind of knowledge about fighting. It would be absolutely insane to disregard what he says.

So basically, you don't want to listen to your coach and are looking for an excuse to keep ignoring his advice, right?

:rolleyes:

Back