Are arm punches really that bad?

uhhh...../facepalm/

theres so much misinfornation/ignorance online here , its mind boggling !

Think about what you're saying......moving the 6-7 muscles on an arm punch is more tiring than moving the 30 odd muscles from a full body punch ??? :rolleyes:

You are completely wrong and the one spreading misinformation.

Arm punches have their place...they're called jabs, but they're used to set up big strikes, you always wanna throw your weight into straights, hooks and the like, because those are the punches meant to do damage. And even jabs aren't totally what you're explaining, but they're the closest thing that actually works.
The best advice I can give you as a budding boxer myself, listen to your coaches, both of mine had pro runs for a while and they sure as hell know a lot more than me.

Arm punching with an inability to power punch is a huge problem. The fighters you mentioned are world class and can do everything they need to. The TS is basically asking if its ok to ignore his trainer and just focus himself in arm punching.

I agree that proper punching fundamentals must be fully understood and that it is imperative to be able to use proper punching technique effectively before attempting to learn the intricacies. As for the TS, I immediately discredited him when he asked if he should ignore his trainer! If your gonna ignore your trainer, then it makes fuck all difference what you do or dont think you know. Ya cant teach the unteachable, they will have to learn the hard way by getting there asses handed to them by someone who listened to their coach.

Thats a big mistake in MMA and Boxing. If you have a hole like that in your game your opponent WILL exploit it. Im telling you need to learn to punch properly. If you don't know how to do it, or can't do it when it comes fight night. Its a bad thing. You can't deny that. You leave a hole for your opponent to exploit.

agreed.... but every fighter has a "hole" or a weakness, it is just a matter of another fighter being able to exploit it, or being savvy enough to recognize it. Proper technique, is a pretty broad description. Every varying style and discipline has their own definition and methodology of proper technique or "best practices". If you cant punch properly, but your opponent cant defend properly, well..... worked for Keith Jardine, kinda, till a guy who recognized the flaw and had the ability to capitalize on it came along. Then every one else recognizes the flaw, I.E: Chuck Liddel, get KO'd with the exact same punch, different sides, but same shot, the puzzle gets solved by one fighter, every other fighter sees the weakness. The ability to capatilize on mistakes or exploit an opponents shortcomings has less to do with proper technique and more to do with the ability to recognize the opportunities.

If you think your Joe Calzaghe all of the sudden and you don't need to learn how to put your body into punches there are going to be stylistic disadvantages for you against a large amount of your opponents.

again, think through what you just said. Joe may have had stylistic disadvantages....... but it didnt stop him from being undefeated in the ring! I fail to see his big disadvantage. It's only a disadvantage if someone else can exploit it, in Joe's case...... they apparently couldnt

Boxing as is MMA is a lot more of a chess match than people realize. Its very much counter what your opponent is doing. And so on and so on and whoever imposes their will over their opponent wins. If you got a hole inn your game like having a bad habit to always arm punch? You will lose fights.

I agree and appreciate your well thought out responses. Again, I think i am speaking in generalities and your referring to the TS. Either way, my responses are in red above.

If you have a slap boxing style (see: Nick Diaz) then arm punches can work well for you especially if you have good enough cardio to have a high volume output. If you have more of a classic stand-up style then I would say that arm punches are not in your best interest.

Work to your strengths.

Couldn't arm punches be useful in bare knuckle fight where the punches should be lighter? You wouldn't burn so much energy and you could be a little faster... probably. :)

Back