Are arm punches really that bad?

Mr Fingers;43661739]All the gyms I have trained at have at least one guy who thinks he knows better than the trainer. That guy who feels the need to debate every instruction or criticism that is given to him because he sees it a different way.
thats not a bad thing. To ignore is foolishnes , to question is OK.
Some ppl need to know a why or a when so that they can trust it.

Now if your getting that advice from a Freddie Roach i would say accept that but if that advice is from a "coach" whose only experience is watching some Rocky movies or HBO every now n then, then its ok to ask.

Finally the proof is in the pudding ,so to speak.
Like Tony (Pep) tells me....see if it works when you spar. If it is , then keep doing it. If it doesnt , then come talk to me.

:)

Last edited:
Arm punches are less powerful and more tiring since you are just using your arms and not getting your whole body weight into it.

uhhh...../facepalm/

theres so much misinfornation/ignorance online here , its mind boggling !

Think about what you're saying......moving the 6-7 muscles on an arm punch is more tiring than moving the 30 odd muscles from a full body punch ??? :rolleyes:

i know your response "Well the tiny arm muscles get tired on their own"
No it doesnt work like that.
Arm punchers usually have a much higher workrate and connect rate.

like i said watch the Diaz brothers or watch Paul Williams. Guy throws a 100 punches a fucking round ...every round ! thats cuz he arm punches.
Ali was an arm puncher too. Only when he had a guy ready to drop would he punch properly.

The thing with arm punching is you have to know how to do it properly.

Dont have the energy to post how.

Don't expect to throw precision, full force,
correct - movement punches every time you throw a punch.

uhhh...../facepalm/

theres so much misinfornation/ignorance online here , its mind boggling !

Think about what you're saying......moving the 6-7 muscles on an arm punch is more tiring than moving the 30 odd muscles from a full body punch ??? :rolleyes:

i know your response "Well the tiny arm muscles get tired on their own"
No it doesnt work like that.
Arm punchers usually have a much higher workrate and connect rate.

like i said watch the Diaz brothers or watch Paul Williams. Guy throws a 100 punches a fucking round ...every round ! thats cuz he arm punches.
Ali was an arm puncher too. Only when he had a guy ready to drop would he punch properly.

Dont have the energy to post how.

so you are the guy that watches those rocky movies or HBO now n then?
arm punches are a waste of energy, if your not going to punch properly dont punch at all.

Arm punching: The fine art of spending more energy, to hit with less power, increase the strain on your body, punch with less speed, and tire yourself out faster.

Protip: You are paying your coach to.... *wait for it*..... COACH you.

If your not going to listen to your fucking coach than find one you trust enough to listen to.

arm punches are a waste of energy, if your not going to punch properly dont punch at all.

Arm punching can be useful and does have its place, There is more than 1 correct way to throw certain punches. The right or wrong way has little to do with mechanics and more to do with application and situation that any given punch is used and most importantly UNDERSTANDING WHY AND HOW TO USE IT EFFECTIVELY.

For the TS, If your coach is correcting your technique, pay fucking attention.... that's why he is the coach. Arm punching does have it's place and it's uses, but you got to learn the fundamentals before you start learning the intricacies.

Arm punching can be useful and does have its place, There is more than 1 correct way to throw certain punches. The right or wrong way has little to do with mechanics and more to do with application and situation that any given punch is used and most importantly UNDERSTANDING WHY AND HOW TO USE IT EFFECTIVELY.

you are thinking too way ahead for this guy, to make this statement. let them learn the basics before introducing them to bad habbits. the only time I would ever consider throwing an arm punch is to gauge distance. having said that, I whole heartedly believe arm punches have no place in boxing.

Arm punches are weaker than full body punches.

The only time I use arm punches is in this scenario:

In the middle of my sparring sessions, I'll hit my partner with fast (yet weak) arm punches. After a while, my partner gets the idea that I'm tired and that I can't punch hard anymore and that he's in no danger. That's when he relaxes a bit and that's when I surprise and hit him with full body punches again.

Arm punches have their uses but, if you can, try to throw full body punches instead.

do you want to play pattycake or knock people's heads off?

YOU DECIDE

My buddy is a rugby guy. 210 pure muscle but punches like a hockey player. He grabs you with his left hand and rabbit punches you with his right. It's pretty powerful because he is so strong. We were at my place hitting the heavy bag and he was amazed that I could move the bag way more than him. I am 180 but use hip power. My ko punch has way more power than his. It's all physics. You power output will be equal to the sum of the forces generated at every joint. Power comes from the ground. Your feet. From there is travels up your body through the rotational forces of your joints. ... ankles, knees, hips, shoulders etc until it exit your body. If you throw arm punches you aren't making use of the rest of your body.

For the TS, If your coach is correcting your technique, pay fucking attention.... that's why he is the coach. Arm punching does have it's place and it's uses, but you got to learn the fundamentals before you start learning the intricacies.

i can always count on a few regulars like you to restore my sanity.

i like how when i post factual evidence of this online (Paul Williams,Ali,Diaz Brothers,Corey Spinks(?) ppl go into that Republican Fox TV mode of either Ignore or Deny ....NO NO NO NOPE NO NO.....HEE HAW HEE HAW HEE HAW !!!

people are so fucking hidebound on this forum.
Makes you wonder , if so many are sticklers for pure textbook style, why the fuck do they look closer to The Korean Zombie than Ricardo Lopez ?

My buddy is a rugby guy. 210 pure muscle but punches like a hockey player. He grabs you with his left hand and rabbit punches you with his right. It's pretty powerful because he is so strong. We were at my place hitting the heavy bag and he was amazed that I could move the bag way more than him. I am 180 but use hip power. My ko punch has way more power than his. It's all physics. You power output will be equal to the sum of the forces generated at every joint. Power comes from the ground. Your feet. From there is travels up your body through the rotational forces of your joints. ... ankles, knees, hips, shoulders etc until it exit your body. If you throw arm punches you aren't making use of the rest of your body.

:rolleyes:

nobody said anything about arm punches being more or even as powerful as 'textbook' punches.

Ever see a golfer swing without using their hips and core - just arms?

Ever see a judo or wrestling throw without using hips or core - just arms?

Ever see a round house kick with power that did not twist at the core?

Using your core generates significant power. Arm punch for light jabs or feints, but if you want to do damage twist at the core. If you get crowded in the corner twisting is the only way to generate power. Try throwing an arm punch when you opponent is 6 inches away.

Know when guys throw arm punches? When they get taken down in MMA. How many knockouts or damage have you seen from a guy on the bottom throwing punches? More annoying /distracting. The only real damage from the bottom is with the elbow and even then you will see people use their core to get more power if they can.

To me its an amazing question, like saying are take downs necessary for wrestling or should you learn kicks for MT.

Let me ask why you have a coach? You obviously don't trust him or you would follow his training. Using the core is suck a key and basic competent of boxing/striking that it takes 10 seconds of practical application to see the difference between using your core and not using it.

Last edited:
I can't remember which boxing coach said it but it went something like "Dumb guys make the best fighters, because they shut up, always do what I say exactly and never question anything I tell them to do."

When a new guy walks in to an experienced coaches gym and starts making stupid statements like "arm punches are better" he is going to end up being KO practice for the gym pro. The learning curve is steep in this game but the cost of entry is as low as a gym membership and a Sherdog account.

Good luck all the same.

dont do drugs and dont throw punchs straight from your arms not only will you telegraph so easily which if you telegraph your moves you make it easy as pie for someone to counter..and counters kill..

i can always count on a few regulars like you to restore my sanity.

i like how when i post factual evidence of this online (Paul Williams,Ali,Diaz Brothers,Corey Spinks(?) ppl go into that Republican Fox TV mode of either Ignore or Deny ....NO NO NO NOPE NO NO.....HEE HAW HEE HAW HEE HAW !!!

people are so fucking hidebound on this forum.
Makes you wonder , if so many are sticklers for pure textbook style, why the fuck do they look closer to The Korean Zombie than Ricardo Lopez ?

Maybe not textbook punchers but they def aren't throwing arm punches.

Don't try to justify having slow hips. :)

But I agree with those who point out that flicking the arm out isn't always a bad thing but it should never be confused with good technique. If you have a reason then fine, otherwise get your hips faster so you can still flip that arm out for "speed".

Back