Are Americans falling behind in MMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at all. 1 hour muay thai, 1 1/2 bjj, 3-4 times a week. And that's the bare necessity of you want to fight

Why not just practice MMA rather than seperate your standup and grapplng?

While guys equaly good as khabibs may not be dime a dozen i dont share your faith in ufc talent scouts scouring the globe or even western europe that well

They DON'T, they are looking to build franchise fighters who get video game contracts, thats the big money. Once they establish a franchise they'll try to protect that fighter and give them easy victories.

Have you noticed all this call out BS pro wrestling garbage that's occurring nowadays... thats pure fluff to sell tickets these guys can't even keep a straight face... Dana White learned a lot from fake wrestling promotions over the years!

Why not just practice MMA rather than seperate your standup and grapplng?
It's impossible to learn all the skills necessary for mma in a one hour block. So you learn the styles needed, and then we have a MMA class once a week for fighters/aspiring fighters. That's standard practice in most gyms I've seen.

8 Championship Belts on the Men's Side - 6 are in the hands of US athletes

4 Championship Belts on the Women's Side - 1 is in the hands of a US athlete

7 out of 12 UFC belts controlled by the USA. No other country has more than 1. If the USA is losing, who the fuck is winning?

What a dumb post.
MAGA

I know aye. Imagine Megan does too.

I thought of her too, didn't want to go overboard ha ha. It's remarkable though, particularly as we traditionally don't grow up grappling like many Brazilians and Americans, big disadvantage when you think about it.

i think the answer ur looking for is no

other countries are catching up for sure, but usa is still ahead. its leveling off and increasing in skill at a slower pace than it once was.

some small or major changes COULD help that tho

I thought of her too, didn't want to go overboard ha ha. It's remarkable though, particularly as we traditionally don't grow up grappling like many Brazilians and Americans, big disadvantage when you think about it.
100%. If Bobby loses to Kelvin I will be a little upset but he did the unthinkable. His done us proud and I can finally chill but what you said, if someone told you a few years back you wouldn't believe them.

i think the answer ur looking for is no

other countries are catching up for sure, but usa is still ahead. its leveling off and increasing in skill at a slower pace than it once was.

some small or major changes COULD help that tho

I think that is what his post is attempting to allude to more than anything. based on some of his other posts.

First of all BJJ is a form of MMA. The reason you see so many BJJ gyms is because of how mainstream MMA has become in large part because of the UFC. Having said that I do think MMA has already reached its peak and it’s golden days in the United States were when Anderson Silva and GSP were champions. Even McGregor, Lesnar and Jones are not enough to keep MMA in the public eye. The general public has lost interest and it will be very difficult to recapture that a second time. I don’t think the UFC will be going bankrupt though either.

26 years ago no-holds-barred fighting was supposed to prove what the greatest martial art was, here we are today and I think the answer is pretty clear mixed martial arts as a style is superior to every other discipline ever created however I've noticed that the United States has fewer mixed martial arts gyms then I expected by now.

I expected mixed martial arts to take over the world but today if you search for MMA on Google Maps 99% of the results will be Brazilian jiu-jitsu gyms.

Royce Gracie was a Phenom No Doubt but we don't see anybody walking into the ring in a Jiu-Jitsu Gi nowadays however 99% of your training opportunities in 99% of America's hometowns is traditional Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

why has Brazilian jiu-jitsu dominated the the American martial arts market for so many years and it's almost impossible to find pure mixed martial arts as a style in most of America's towns?

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu doesn't have video games or TV shows or betting odds like MMA however it dominates the martial arts Marketplace!

I really feel like the rest of the world is leaving America in the dust and the fact that we are the biggest country with the best technology and the best athletes and still don't dominate the grappling Sports and MMA is a bit of a cluster.

In a lot of countries the state actually has free gymnasiums where people can go train in Combat Athletics meanwhile in America all our training opportunitys are private for-profit businesses who sweat liability and prioritize profits.

don't let the UFC rankings fool you,
I don't think the UFC has the best fighters in the world I think they put on the best fights in the world there's a difference!

All these years, all this publicity and promotion and Brazilian Jujitsu is STILL NOT IN THE OLYMPICS??? WTF is wrong with Brazil?

Brazilian jiu-jitsu dominated MMA in the beginning and that's why there are thousands of Brazilian jiu-jitsu gyms all over the country.

wrestling dominates MMA now and you can't find a wrestling as a martial art gym anywhere in the entire country!

When have you ever seen a "wrestling" gym?

wrestling might get included as some kind of Sideshow in the martial arts Buffet line at your Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu gym but you will never find a wrestling exclusive gym.
Wrestling is a team sport there are no gyms because there are teams who practice together in their schools lol.

For older people there simply isn't enough demand for wrestling only gyms because its grueling whereas any lazy fatass can roll around at a bjj gym

This is ridiculous. Americans are doing great in the UFC and MMA.

And BJJ participation is popular in America because many people don't want to spar and do muay thai or mma and take headshots leading to head trauma. And BJJ is also good for people who aren't already athletic beasts (which makes up 95% of the population).

It's all about business model guys

Who cares what works the best...promote the most profitable system

BJJ fits the traditional martial arts business model while MMA does not.

You can train hard in MMA and not take a single blow to the head by doing your muay thai on pads and grappling for position plus submission (consider being held in guard a "winning position" because your in a better striking position)

It dosent matter if it's a team sport or not,
Look at JUDO, team or individual or both.
You can run competition any way you want.

Wrestling is not a profitable system because there are no belts or association fees and tournaments are run by the AAU so it's really cheap.
Even the uniforms are 1/20 the cost.

Just wait and see, sombody gonna develop "cardio cagefighting"
MIT WORK and polymerics routine

MMA

Remember those “is 2012 the year we’ll have all Brazilian champions” threads?

Brazilian jiu-jitsu dominated MMA in the beginning and that's why there are thousands of Brazilian jiu-jitsu gyms all over the country.

wrestling dominates MMA now and you can't find a wrestling as a martial art gym anywhere in the entire country!

When have you ever seen a "wrestling" gym?

wrestling might get included as some kind of Sideshow in the martial arts Buffet line at your Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu gym but you will never find a wrestling exclusive gym.

Wrestling has always been more of a school sport there were over 250,000 participants in high school wrestling alone in 2018 https://www.statista.com/statistics/268028/participation-in-us-high-school-wrestling/

That’s just high schools, many more in colleges and wrestling clubs that are found in almost every USA city.

All of these guys compete and take the sport seriously. BJJ gyms have a crazy turn over. Many guys don’t last longer then 1-2 years with many dropping out inside 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back