Opinion AOC paid her student loans on the congressional floor

Well then please enlighten me. What was her point?
That if she has a hard time paying off her $50K+ per year loans with interest, then other people who haven’t been members of Congress for 9 whole months must have a much harder time.

While I like the idea of government getting out of student loans all together, deflecting all blame from 18 year-olds who take out massive loans with no real plan in place to pay them back is weak.

Last edited:
That if she has a hard time paying off her $50K+ per year loans with interest, then other people who haven’t been members of Congress for 9 whole months must have a much harder time.

While I like the idea of government getting out of student loans all together, deflecting all blame from 18 year-olds who take out massive loans with no real plan in place to pay them back is weak.

i agree. people have been taking out student loans for a long time now, ever since the 1950s. but for some reason, people decided to get over priced useless degrees thinking they were going to get high paying jobs, and now are mad because their dream jobs arent there, or are doing jobs outside of their major and making chump change.

millions of people have paid off their student loans and plenty of people are actively making their payments....but that doesnt matter. something has to be done because 40 million adult aged children are in debt because they made a stupid decision for an over-priced college experience and a degree that had a terrible return on investment, so now their life is on hold and they have to live with their parents

#
i agree. people have been taking out student loans for a long time now, ever since the 1950s. but for some reason, people decided to get over priced useless degrees thinking they were going to get high paying jobs, and now are mad because their dream jobs arent there, or are doing jobs outside of their major and making chump change.

millions of people have paid off their student loans and plenty of people are actively making their payments....but that doesnt matter. something has to be done because 40 million adult aged children are in debt because they made a stupid decision for an over-priced college experience and a degree that had a terrible return on investment, so now their life is on hold and they have to live with their parents
You do realize part of this problem is a lack of sound governance. There are people on this thread who took political science majors seriously? The other is many people where told to become engineers because you know the jobs. But were are these mysterious jobs. Many people have engineering degrees only to find out the company wants 5 to 10 years experience.

The government has to deal with situations where companies seek almost impossible skills sets.

#

You do realize part of this problem is a lack of sound governance. There are people on this thread who took political science majors seriously? The other is many people where told to become engineers because you know the jobs. But were are these mysterious jobs. Many people have engineering degrees only to find out the company wants 5 to 10 years experience.

The government has to deal with situations where companies seek almost impossible skills sets.

sorry but not sorry, those engineers must be useless and/or autism. i work for the govt and work on several projects with engineers; everyone i met got a job offer while they were doing their intern or right before they graduated.

The obvious point was to show how insanely difficult it is for normal people to pay student debt loans when even she is struggling to do so.

I guess you would like for an elected official to be like Mitch Mcconnell or his ilk who would surely tell you to go fuck yourself into a pile of your bills while they laugh, having taken all their perks from your tax money.
Is her debt to salary ratio not (roughly) .125?

She made a payment on her college loan during congressional hearings to make a point. She wanted to prove a point and to show how crippling student loan debt is for someone who's not making Congress kind of money.

She showed that she currently had 20,200 in debt an it dropped to 19,000 dollars.

"
Ocasio-Cortez opened her remarks by telling the witnesses and audience that she had made a student loan payment while attending the hearing.

"I literally made a student loan payment while I was sitting here at this chair, and I looked at my balance, and it was $20,237.16," she said. "I just made a payment that took me down to $19,000 so I feel really accomplished right now."

Student loan hearing: Hasan Minhaj calls student debt 'paywall to the middle class' during congressional testimony
"

She was happy to show her debt to everyone on the congressional floor.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/2276327001
Well, Tim Pool, who claims to be left wing, or center-left, still managed to spin the shit out of that...

Right wing grifter mode engaged. B)

She makes more money than me and has less in her account than me. I'm sold, double my taxes because some thot paid her bills. The nerve of some people to think paying your bills is making a strong point because you should pay it for her.

You can do what I did and get good at something so you have a scholarship, or do what I wish I did and skip it entirely. You can even be way worse than me at your sport and still get a full ride if you're a woman because title IV has mandated that women's sports can give full scholarships to bench warmers.
I don't understand what your point is. I also make less money than her, but have more money because I've been making money longer because I'm older. I'm assuming you're in the same position. She'll obviously get there too. She's been in Congress for less than a year, give her a chance.

The obvious point was to show how insanely difficult it is for normal people to pay student debt loans when even she is struggling to do so.

I guess you would like for an elected official to be like Mitch Mcconnell or his ilk who would surely tell you to go fuck yourself into a pile of your bills while they laugh, having taken all their perks from your tax money.
if she is paying 3k at a time, she is not having trouble paying it down.

if she is paying 3k at a time, she is not having trouble paying it down.

What an impertinent and foolish thing to post.

Did you conclude she's struggling based on this advanced calculation or did you pass on that synopsis from a journalist/analyst/pundit etc? If so, could you post the source?

Proof that it's exceedingly expensive to live in major American cities?

I would imagine living in Washington DC is quite expensive.
Living there seemed cheap compared to Boston for me, but yeah, and it's only gotten more expensive since I moved there 15 years ago for a job pretty much right out of college. I was able to afford a much nicer apartment there, though. Had a washer and dryer in unit. :)

PS - Just looked it up. Boston is still more expensive than Washington. Boston is the 4th most expensive city in the country. New York is number one. D.C. is #6. So yeah, D.C. should actually seem cheap to her coming from New York, much like it was for me when I was closer to her age.

Last edited:
Back