Opinion AOC paid her student loans on the congressional floor

Dumbass should have gotten a degree that would allow her to do something besides bartend for the last 12 years.

I don't know if you know this I have had female friends who bartended 3 nights a week an make over 1,500 a week in a small city. Some got jobs in Boston because they were hot as hell an made nearly that in a day. It may not be your cup of tea but I bet she made in New York 2 to 3 grand a week conservatively. The problems with my friends they would go into New York or Montreal an spend it in a day AOC likely saved every cent.

College isn't presented as a choice for High School students. They're told for four years that to be successful in the United States a Bachelor's degree is required as a minimum. Then at 17 years old they sign into massive crushing debt. It's predatory, and college tuition should not be anywhere as high as it is. Western countries see post high school education as a net positive for society, much like guaranteed access to healthcare.

It's wild to me people on the right consider leftists Anti American, when we want to help the country as a whole rise up.

What about JC? Its cheap and saves money. Or online options? Trade school?

Nobody is forced to go into debt for college. It is a choice with consequences.

She was elected to public office at the age of 28. I don't think she began bartending at the age of 16.

I think there are a lot of ways to criticize AOC. But for some reason people pick things that aren't really a problem. There's nothing wrong with bartending, there's nothing wrong with wearing decent professional clothing or a wearing a decent watch, there's nothing wrong with having $20,000 in the bank or $20,000 in student loan debt, etc.

Nothing wrong with any work, but bitch went to a $50k/yr school and has been bartending since graduation - so at least the last 6 years.

Do you really not see the problem with that?

I don't know if you know this I have had female friends who bartended 3 nights a week an make over 1,500 a week in a small city. Some got jobs in Boston because they were hot as hell an made nearly that in a day. It may not be your cup of tea but I bet she made in New York 2 to 3 grand a week conservatively. The problems with my friends they would go into New York or Montreal an spend it in a day AOC likely saved every cent.

A- I don't believe that figure.

B- Great she should have already paid off her student loan. She's "conservatively" made $780k since graduating.

C- Why spend $200k on a degree from a private college if you're going to be a bartender?

Yeah this oppressed brown woman has $19,000 more in her account than this privileged white male.

I fucking hate this cunt
As a white male, you are an embarrassment to our people. If you have less than a grand on hand , you lose your white card.

B- Great she should have already paid off her student loan. She's "conservatively" made $780k since graduating.

C- Why spend $200k on a degree from a private college if you're going to be a bartender?
That someone can make 500 dollars a day bartending? Heck doorman at Boston's Four Seasons Hotel pull down over a grand a day. I heard stories where people who give them 50 dollar tips an even nice SLR cameras.

It's wild to me people on the right consider leftists Anti American, when we want to help the country as a whole rise up.

You want to do that by taking other people's money and labor...

It's like the "healthcare is a right". Something that requires the time and labor of others isn't a right.

If you/we want to fix healthcare, eliminate insurance, reduce waste and prevent predatory or exorbitant pricing while going universal and it's voted on by the people, great let's do it.

You want to reduce the cost of education and find ways to offer lower interest loans, great. Now imo in the real world where the ultra rich won't actually end up paying for things I don't believe that people who payed for trade schools, worked through intern/apprenticeships or didn't go to college should foot the bill for others to go.

That someone can make 500 dollars a day bartending? Heck doorman at Boston's Four Seasons Hotel pull down over a grand a day. I heard stories where people who give them 50 dollar tips an even nice SLR cameras.

Can they? Sure. Is it the norm? No.

So AOC made 780k+ since graduating and hasn't paid her student loans? Not a very smart econ major.

You want to do that by taking other people's money and labor...

It's like the "healthcare is a right". Something that requires the time and labor of others isn't a right.

If you/we want to fix healthcare, eliminate insurance, reduce waste and prevent predatory or exorbitant pricing while going universal and it's voted on by the people, great let's do it.

You want to reduce the cost of education and find ways to offer lower interest loans, great. Now imo in the real world where the ultra rich won't actually end up paying for things I don't believe that people who payed for trade schools, worked through intern/apprenticeships or didn't go to college should foot the bill for others to go.

Isn't that the whole point of assembling together as a society?

Obviously the debate should be over where the line is drawn, but it seems as though some people operate from a starting point of 'me!' when discussing issues that pertain to 'us'. Anytime you have large congregations of people, sacrifices for the benefit of the whole are necessary. A well-educated populace, open to all regardless of financial clout, seems like a good thing, doesn't it?

I would even entertain an argument for mandatory conscription for would be recipients of grants, as a way to 'repay' the debt that society has provided.

People in the right areas can make a shit load of money bar tending/waiting tables. Like high end restaurants where tabs run almost $100 for 2 without getting an expensive drink. If someone is waiting like 3-5 tables an hour with tabs for 2 around $80-140+, tab for 4 with a decent bottle or 2 of wine get to around $250. They are going to be making like $50-200 an hour.

Now places like vegas with table minimums and bottle service they can make a ridiculous amount.

But yes, point b & c 100%.

She's like a lot of women. They expect someone else to pay the bills (husband, tax payers) while her money is for shopping and entertainment.
It's not just women anymore. There are millennial men who've adopted that attitude too. I'm embarrassingly a member of that generation but haven't jumped aboard the "come on, bro, pay for my stuff" train.

Maybe because she insists on making a spectacle of herself when doing mundane things?

The obvious point was to show how insanely difficult it is for normal people to pay student debt loans when even she is struggling to do so.

I guess you would like for an elected official to be like Mitch Mcconnell or his ilk who would surely tell you to go fuck yourself into a pile of your bills while they laugh, having taken all their perks from your tax money.

Is this debt forced? Or is it a choice?

Essentially forced if one wants to get ahead. The debt is also a scheme by lenders, with little to no regulations, and you can thank Trump and his admin for severely loosening those protections greatly, along with consumer protections across the board.

Essentially forced if one wants to get ahead. The debt is also a scheme by lenders, with little to no regulations, and you can thank Trump and his admin for severely loosening those protections greatly, along with consumer protections across the board.

Lies. You dont need college debt to get ahead. In fact, many people get behind from bad financial choices like school loans.

College is not a necessity in our society.

There are also cheaper education choices. Schools loans are a choice.

Lies. You dont need college debt to get ahead. In fact, many people get behind from bad financial choices like school loans.

College is not a necessity in our society.

There are also cheaper education choices. Schools loans are a choice.

Great argument. It's weird how millions upon millions of Americans simply didn't take your bootstrap mentality and poof themselves a well paying job with benefits out of thin air with "cheaper education choices."

Isn't that the whole point of assembling together as a society

To give your time and money away with no benefit to yourself? No, I don't think so.

starting point of 'me!' when discussing issues that pertain to 'us'.

Incorrect, it doesn't pertain to "us". Some people choose to incur that massive debt with no prospect to pay it down. It's them personally as in for that person it is 'me!' asking for free. Also only roughly 40% of high school graduates get a college degree. So it's not even half of 'us' and most don't rack up that extreme debt.

For that 40% figure.
"In 2016, the most recent year for which statistics are available, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that 69.7 percent of students who graduated high school in 2016 were enrolled in college. About 49 percent of these students are enrolled in community colleges, according to a 2017 report issued by the National Student Clearinghouse Research Center. Although most students enroll in college, many of them don't graduate. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, about 58 percent of college students finish their degrees within six years. About 40 percent of students graduate within four years, according to College Planning Partnerships.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, about 33 percent of adults had a college degree as of 2016, and this number has been steadily climbing over the past several decades."

As far as the rest of your post. I previously stated, if you want college to be less expensive work towards that or if you want it to be "free" make college graduates pay for it.

What about JC? Its cheap and saves money. Or online options? Trade school?

Nobody is forced to go into debt for college. It is a choice with consequences.

You see. I actually went to trade school. I have zero debt and if things fail in the tourism and entertainment industry for me I could always go back to being a chef.

I have zero issues with my tax dollars going to benefit others who were screwed over people who were taken advantage of as kids forced into crippling debt. I also believe the Wall Street Speculation Tax Bernie proposed to make public post HS education available to all people is a brilliant net positive.

I also have zero issue with the Federal tax dollars used to combat the fire that rendered your family homeless, or FEMA money used to help those who had everything taken from them when Paradise was lost. Granted, living in a highly flammable area was a choice but I consider myself a good natured fella.

Did FEMA fail your family and your community? Or did you turn your nose up at Federal help?

Great argument. It's weird how millions upon millions of Americans simply didn't take your bootstrap mentality and poof themselves a well paying job with benefits out of thin air with "cheaper education choices."

Are you saying that trade schools, community college, in state university after community college, etc don't exist?

75% of college students went in unsure of a career path or changed majors. But the biggest is that over half don't even know what they want to do after college.

"New statistics released by Allaboutcareers.com, a leading careers exploration website, reveal that 44% of undergraduates are unable to define the industry that they would like to work in once they graduate. Over 37,000 undergraduates and 1500 school and college students were asked about their career aspirations and 52% of school students agreed or strongly agreed with the statement, “I have no idea what I want to do with my career"."

So it's not about poofing or bootstrapping anything. It's about making conscious good decisions. Not let's take out a fat loan and hope for the best.

Back