Opinion AOC paid her student loans on the congressional floor

am i retarded or did her Loan Balance go down, not the bank account?

or did i misread
Yeah cause if it’s her loan balance that makes more sense I think.....if it was her bank balanced don’t think most of the "poor" she’s advocating for have $20,000 in savings.

Living there seemed cheap compared to Boston for me, but yeah, and it's only gotten more expensive since I moved there 15 years ago for a job pretty much right out of college. I was able to afford a much nicer apartment there, though. Had a washer and dryer in unit. :)

PS - Just looked it up. Boston is still more expensive than Washington. Boston is the 4th most expensive city in the country. New York is number one. D.C. is #6. So yeah, D.C. should actually seem cheap to her coming from New York, much like it was for me when I was closer to her age.

Somebody else pointed out that she probably has a residence in DC and one in NY.... that's a lot of rent money

I'm still waiting to hear about how being able to pay down $3000 at once means you can hardly pay your debt when there is only $20,000 left.
Not that it matters to the argument, but where did you get $3000 from? The payment was like $1200 in the OP.

So brave. Wonder if she majored in Art History.

Living there seemed cheap compared to Boston for me, but yeah, and it's only gotten more expensive since I moved there 15 years ago for a job pretty much right out of college. I was able to afford a much nicer apartment there, though. Had a washer and dryer in unit. :)

PS - Just looked it up. Boston is still more expensive than Washington. Boston is the 4th most expensive city in the country. New York is number one. D.C. is #6. So yeah, D.C. should actually seem cheap to her coming from New York, much like it was for me when I was closer to her age.
Hmm, I saw DC ranked above Boston in other lists. Both are easily in the top 10 most expensive cities to live in the country, though.

Not that it matters to the argument, but where did you get $3000 from? The payment was like $1200 in the OP.
I think it's the same head scratch I had to be fair.

Average congress person is like $150k a year right? I know it's closer to 174k but let's say to make maths easier it's 150k after taxes and deductions for like savings and shit.

Average rent for a DC apartment is like 2,224 per month per this site:
https://www.rentcafe.com/average-rent-market-trends/us/dc/washington/

That's 26,688 a year or 27k for math sake. That leaves 123,000 leftover from her yearly salary.

Per here:
https://www.nakedapartments.com/blog/average-rental-prices-nyc/

Bronx is ABOUT 2500 a month (and I THINK her district includes the Bronx and a chunk of Queens so let's just run with it). She pays about 30k a year for a Bronx apartment (just playing averages.

That still leaves over 90k for a combo of like groceries and other shit like that. The part that confuses me is why she only paid $1,200 or $1000 when she could probably pay more... I know @PolishHeadlock2 said it probably has to do with interest rates on mutual funds and other economic shit that I admittedly don't get but I also am a tad confused why she didn't drop like $2k on it... Cause if we use the 150k number as her yearly amount she makes almost 12500 a month....

I think it's the same head scratch I had to be fair.

Average congress person is like $150k a year right? I know it's closer to 174k but let's say to make maths easier it's 150k after taxes and deductions for like savings and shit.

Average rent for a DC apartment is like 2,224 per month per this site:
https://www.rentcafe.com/average-rent-market-trends/us/dc/washington/

That's 26,688 a year or 27k for math sake. That leaves 123,000 leftover from her yearly salary.

Per here:
https://www.nakedapartments.com/blog/average-rental-prices-nyc/

Bronx is ABOUT 2500 a month (and I THINK her district includes the Bronx and a chunk of Queens so let's just run with it). She pays about 30k a year for a Bronx apartment (just playing averages.

That still leaves over 90k for a combo of like groceries and other shit like that. The part that confuses me is why she only paid $1,200 or $1000 when she could probably pay more... I know @PolishHeadlock2 said it probably has to do with interest rates on mutual funds and other economic shit that I admittedly don't get but I also am a tad confused why she didn't drop like $2k on it... Cause if we use the 150k number as her yearly amount she makes almost 12500 a month....
A couple of guesses...
- She hasn't been "working" for that long, so she hasn't been able to accumulate wealth from her position
- She might have had moving expenses when she got her apartment in DC
- She probably spends more than average on rent to live in a place with additional security (which she certainly needs)
- She might have had to buy a car for DC
- She still has to pay federal and state taxes, so that $174K is less
- She might be putting away for pension plan or separate retirement plans, as well as insurance premiums
- She might have a credit card bill or some other liability with a higher interest rate to take care of first
- She might not get re-elected, so she would rather save money than spend it on paying off a loan
- Other out of pocket expenses that are typical for congressmen (idk, not gonna research it)
- Hookers and blow

no. The poster said she's struggling to pay and that's obviously not true.
I don't know how you come to that conclusion with the information given. Your conclusion is a non-sequitur from the premise.

Last edited:
So brave. Wonder if she majored in Art History.

International relations and economics. Certainly two completely useless fields, especially for someone in office. She should have been some rich guy's kid like a good politician.

5 pages on whether or not this is her bank account or loan amount. Riveting

International relations and economics. Certainly two completely useless fields, especially for someone in office. She should have been some rich guy's kid like a good politician.
So brave.

<{MingNope}>

Lmao @ only having 20k in savings. I have that in my pocket right now.
LMAO <Lmaoo>

I just make a student loan payment last week, guess I deserve a cookie.

LMAO <Lmaoo>

I just make a student loan payment last week, guess I deserve a cookie.

You’re still paying your student loans? Maybe she has a point...how long does it normally take to pay student loans?

You’re still paying your student loans? Maybe she has a point...how long does it normally take to pay student loans?

30 years for most people. 20 if they do it correctly.

Back