Anyone unemployed ?

Typed like an unemployed community college student.

:icon_chee Just kidding. But seriously, it's bad.

accept* and yes don't rub it in :icon_cry2

P.s. I have dyslexia fuck you

sincerely, Lost <3

Last edited:
I am. Had an interview this past Tuesday. Hoping I get it.

Even if I do though, I won't start training for another few months. Slow process.

I need to find a crappy PT job before then.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of things do you sell on those websites to make a living?

My friend builds bicycles and sells them on ebay, he makes a good living from doing so.

Generic clothing for kids.

Hey, is this Rich Dad, Poor Dad a scam? My mum is convinced they can change her life around and all that other shit.

It teaches you "financial education".

Have you blokes tried "networking"? If so, how is has that helped?

I was unemployed 2009 and last year for a bit.

You DO have to treat it as at LEAST a "near" full-time job, as in, applications, phone-calls, meetings, interviews for 6 hours a day MINIMUM.

Hit every local meetup/networking meeting, applications online (even 100 a day) is NOT job searching.

You will be better served applying to 5-10 jobs a day, 20-40 a week that you reach 60%+ of the requirements, and FOLLOWING UP with a phone-call, walking INTO the office with your resume / cover, finding out who the manager is, etc.

Find manager: who posted the job? Search LinkedIn, find the department Director (even if thats not the hiring manager), use Jigsaw (its a $1 per contact, or, upload 1 contact of a previous company for 1 contact), and cold-voicemail them.

It will increase your chances for an interview.

If its NOT the hiring manager, your iterate your interest, and ask if their is someone specifically you can speak with.

Do this every 2 weeks until you hear a NO.

Tune your resume (don't lie, but you don't use a management resume for a sales position, etc.), so have different folder.

My own had resumes:
General-Full
Account Management
Account ManagementSEOFocus
Recruiting
RecruitingManagement
Sales
SalesManagement

All with little tweaks: like emphasizing the MOST qualifying position for that job (re: marketing positions have 1-2 paragraphs, but in the sales resume, they have 1-2 sentences).

Its about the FOLLOWUP.

The ONLY goal of your resume and job search is to get INTERVIEWS.

Then follow from their.

If you identify 10 industries you want to work with, target 10 companies a week:
-Research the company, space they operate, growth pattern, what you Feel you can contribute to the company
-Find the hiring manager
-Follow-up
-Failing the hiring manager, a voicemail/call into the HR is fine
-If you "love" the company, show up and drop your shit off, asking if the hiring manager has 10 minutes to chat

Keep a damn spreadsheet/word doc, anything to track who you've applied too, your follow-ups, and when to re-follow-up

Example, a tech company I wanted to work for, I found who posted the job, the potential Director, and the potential Sr VP. I was connected on LinkedIn to a Director in a DIFFERENT group (from promoting/commenting intelligently on the articles he published, following the industry and company), and cold-Linkedin messaging him,

Hope you are doing well, and I am enjoying your [article posting, new projects / products you are driving, or your company is whatever]

I recently applied for an entry-level role with _company as a _position. I have included my cover below, but was curious if you had a specific person in mind I could reach out to too sink / swim (will definitely swim!) in an interview? If not, no worries, though I would be forever grateful!

Let me know if I can be of service otherwise.

This let the "pressure" off of "if you know someone, I'll kill the interview, but otherwise, its no worries!"

Following up has been the only way I've landed positions (gained interviews, then gone from their).

let me repeat, applying online 50x a day is NOT effective job searching, and makes you "feel" like you are doing something.

Its great if you've done the above GOOD job searching, and can net interviews, but its not the most effective.

One problem with "networking" groups is that the majority of people are unemployed.

So instead hit "meetups" like marketing associations, tech groups, etc.

After the 6 hours of job searching, build your personal skillset to make yourself marketable (a blog, learn a new tech set, write a portfolio, write case studies on companies you want to work for, design marketing campaigns for _anything) etc.

Last edited:
i started interning for an insurance company a few weeks ago. i'm an office assistant so i have to redirect calls, organize stuff, and other pseudo-administrative tasks. eventually i plan on becoming a certified personal trainer through ACSM. work for a chain gym for a year or two and then maybe start my own business.

I was for about 4 weeks in november. I would get job offers than fail the background check because I have an assault charge. It really made me upset to the point where I wanted to rekick the kids asss who got me charged. Anyways eventually I got in with a company who believes im an angel and felt they didnt need to do a background check. Stay strong to the unemployed who are actually out there looking for jobs.

I am. Had an interview this past Tuesday. Hoping I get it.

Even if I do though, I won't start training for another few months. Slow process.

I need to find a crappy PT job before then.

I had the same problem. I took me a month from the time I was told I had the job until I actually started. Background check and physical took forever.

Currently selling stuff on Ebay and Amazon, also just started an ecommerce site. I need to do some seo's so i can start transferring the sales over to my site. It's fucking awesome working for myself, I have no schedule and can do whatever the hell I want.

What items do you specialize in selling?

I was unemployed for three months this past summer.
Then I got a great job with a state university, with awesome benefits.

I start a new job on Wednesday. I got fired from my old job on December 12th... so unemployed for a little over a month. Definitely sucked.

being unemployed sucks

im not going back to college, and ive been unsuccessful in finding a job

good thing is most of my friends arent going back either so im not alone. just broke.

I was really against social care....food stamps and the such, but i realized, if the system if there for you to take advantage...why the fuck not?

Of course im still working full time, but hey if i ever get fired, i will definitely collect on that UE check....Fuck it the system is broken anyways and won't be fixed anytime soon.

Been unemployed since October after being laid off. Thinking about getting unemployment checks, but I feel enough like a bum already and I still have good amount saved up. No place is hiring, and Im not sure what I want to go to school for.

I was really against social care....food stamps and the such, but i realized, if the system if there for you to take advantage...why the fuck not?

Of course im still working full time, but hey if i ever get fired, i will definitely collect on that UE check....Fuck it the system is broken anyways and won't be fixed anytime soon.

i would feel like i failed my family and myself if i ever had to collect food stamps and unemployment checks.

Been unemployed since October after being laid off. Thinking about getting unemployment checks, but I feel enough like a bum already and I still have good amount saved up. No place is hiring, and Im not sure what I want to go to school for.

You earned the right to recieve unemployment from working your previous jobs. Take advantage of it and keep looking for jobs in the meantime.

I haven't worked in about a year(I was attending school last semester) and I've been trying to find a job for well over a month now -- I've applied at about a dozen places, and none of them have responded. I refuse to apply to a corporation like Walmart or any fast food places.

My question is, if I were to request an unemployment check, would I even qualify for one? If so, how much would it be monthly?

I haven't worked in about a year(I was attending school last semester) and I've been trying to find a job for well over a month now -- I've applied at about a dozen places, and none of them have responded. I refuse to apply to a corporation like Walmart or any fast food places.

My question is, if I were to request an unemployment check, would I even qualify for one? If so, how much would it be monthly?

Why refuse to work at Walmart? How is that trying?

Why refuse to work at Walmart? How is that trying?

I think anyone here that has worked at Walmart or knows anyone that works at Walmart can attest to the fact that they treat their employees like shit, and it's just overall a terrible place to work at.

If I dropped out of High School and never attended college I'd consider working at Walmart, but since that's not the case, I think I'm good. I did however apply to a few a management positions at Target.

I'm not really going to pick up an unemployment check, because I'm not a bum, however, I was just curious as to how the system works and if I'd be 1) able to receive an unemployment check in the first place and 2) how much it would be for.

Back