Anyone else out there know zero people who are into MMA/UFC?

I don’t know anyone who likes MMA. Lost touch with the one guy who did about 6 years ago now.

Considering this sport involves locking two people in a cage and having them beat the fuck out of each other until one's unconscious, then eat unanswered shots to their unconscious head until a ref stops it.

I'm honestly surprised it has such a main stream appeal for how brutal the sport is. Not exactly something a lot of people are into or want their children to watch.
There is truth to that, it would be a small niche of people who like watching MMA and have the mental capacity to be a anything other than a casual.

what about joining a fight club / dojo to get some friends who are into?

I always feel like a savage after bringing it up to people who aren't into it at all. "YOU like THAT stuff?"

I work in construction and there's only one guy who regularly asks me about fights or fighters.

It's hard to say because i follow MMA so closely it always feels like it's relevant, but as a whole, it's damn near non-existent.

You'll always get people mentioning Conor, but the old guard that most casuals were aware of have faded from memory, now people mention that "Mohawk guy" or "the french-canadian guy".

MMA is far more popular than it once was sure, but i feel it's in a pretty major contraction right now.

I don't know any hardcores irl, but know a handful of casuals/conor fans.

Considering this sport involves locking two people in a cage and having them beat the fuck out of each other until one's unconscious, then eat unanswered shots to their unconscious head until a ref stops it.

I'm honestly surprised it has such a main stream appeal for how brutal the sport is. Not exactly something a lot of people are into or want their children to watch.
People used to take joy in watching others get tortured and executed. And in the Middle Ages, it was considered a wholesome activity to take your kids to. Dan Carlin has an awesome episode of Hardcore History about that titled "Painfotainment".

It's still free: https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-61-blitz-painfotainment/

A lot of my buddies dont watch the fights but are aware of the big names like Conor and Khabib. I have 2 with which I can talk about MMA but thats just because they actually train boxing and kickboxing, so they are kind of part of that world.

im 43 years old and have no one but my sher bros to share my love of fighting with...

My son is 20 and pretends there isn't a bloody fist fight on the tv when he walks by.

People used to take joy in watching people get tortured and executed. And thought kids watching them was wholesome. Dan Carlin has an awesome episode of Hardcore History about that titled "Painfotainment".

It's still free: https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-61-blitz-painfotainment/
Big Dan Carlin fan. His new book is pretty good too (if you're listened to a few of his podcasts you can hear his voice in the back of your head while reading it).

Apparently not everyone enjoys listening to a 20 hour lecture on WWI, or the great kings before Alexander the Great, or Japan - Shogun era to post WWII. But I fucking love it.

But I haven't listened to this one. I will check it out. Thank you.

its kinda pathetic to have mma fans as friends, tbh
what a bunch of dweebs

Most of my friends think MMA is boring and gay. You can't blame them, some fights are really bad

MMA had a brief moment of mainstream popularity back in the Chuck Liddell days. Ever since then, it's really only ever talked about when Brock/Ronda/Conor are featured. The sport itself has very little casual appeal anymore.

I live in NJ and soccer is now more popular than MMA here. Never thought I'd see the day, but here we are.

One interesting observation is that there are more participants training martial arts than ever before- bjj gyms are sprouting up like weeds around here. And yet, most of the trainees still don't watch MMA.

Big Dan Carlin fan. His new book is pretty good too (if you're listened to a few of his podcasts you can hear his voice in the back of your head while reading it).

Apparently not everyone enjoys listening to a 20 hour lecture on WWI, or the great kings before Alexander the Great, or Japan - Shogun era to post WWII. But I fucking love it.

But I haven't listened to this one. I will check it out. Thank you.
No problem, Dan Carlin is awesome! I haven't checked out his book yet, glad you recommend it.

If you like your history with a little more humor, Last Podcast on the Left also has a related episode on "Hangman and Headsmen" http: //lpotl.libsyn.com/episode-345-hangmen-and-headsmen

Most people who say they are into MMA, know next to nothing about it.

I would say the majority of people in my circle know about MMA but very few watch it regularly. Once you get over your mid 20's or so and actually have real life shit to deal with on a daily basis sitting around with your friends at 45 years old breaking down MMA fights isn't very high on the topic list when you get together.

Seriously I have around a thousand Facebook friends and and not a single person post anything about MMA. Also at my workplace no one knows anything about MMA either, my dad watches a bellator event every once in awhile but that's it. I can't be the only person who has no one to talk to about MMA.

Man, you're describing the story of the last 8 years of my life. I'm Italian so it's all about football and motor sports arounde here, little bit of basketball and rugby, maybe a pinch of tennis and that's it.

I'm in my early thirties now and absolutely NO ONE of my fb friends gives a shit about MMA. A few years back I knew a few gals that had become Ronda fans but mostly for what she represented rather than being actual fight game fans. I've also heard some bloke here and there say "oh yeah I know McGregor, he's great" but that's about it.

Yes, MMA and boxing are not mainstream sports here...maybe the younger generations are more into it but I dunno really

I believe there a good chunk of people who love watching violence. That's why boxing got so popular, movies, TV Shows. The olden days they had the gladiators entertaining the crowd. Now we got MMA fighters. There always will be people thirsting for this kind of entertainment.

Back