Anyone else out there know zero people who are into MMA/UFC?

Superman Elbow

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Seriously I have around a thousand Facebook friends and and not a single person post anything about MMA. Also at my workplace no one knows anything about MMA either, my dad watches a bellator event every once in awhile but that's it. I can't be the only person who has no one to talk to about MMA.

I have 0 Facebook friends and know lots of people who are into MMA, casually.

So, no.

And go find some actual friends, mate ;)

I bumped into one kid at work once with a frank mir background on his phone. before or since, NOTHING

lol at thousands of facebook friends....

I'm 28, most of my buddies at least are casual fans. They pay attention to big fights and cards. I don't have any friends who are real fans though. I had one friend who was super into it, but he became casual.

I'm 28, most of my buddies at least are casual fans. They pay attention to big fights and cards. I don't have any friends who are real fans though. I had one friend who was super into it, but he became casual.
I'm 30, so not much older. Everyone I know is into nfl and nba or NCAA but no one is into MMA. There's a coupe guys who pay attention only to McGregor, that's it.

I'm 30, so not much older. Everyone I know is into nfl and nbc or NCAA but no one is into MMA. There's a coupe guys who pay attention only to McGregor, that's it.

Yeah thats more or less how it is for me too. I guess calling them casual fans in my post above might have been a stretch.

Seriously I have around a thousand Facebook friends and and not a single person post anything about MMA. Also at my workplace no one knows anything about MMA either, my dad watches a bellator event every once in awhile but that's it. I can't be the only person who has no one to talk to about MMA.
This is a sign you should train a combat sport.

I've known a couple but it really is an esoteric interest in my circles.

I got like 10-15 texts from friends and family last weekend asking me about the ‘McGregor’ fight. They’re all casuals obviously.

I feel like every time I think UFC is getting mainstream, I try to talk to a good number of people about it, and most of them pay no attention at all, some do casually, or just know the names gsp or Conor mcgregor. It’s rare to meet a die-hard or even consistent follower of UFC/MMA.

I wrestled from the time I was 7 until 18, always wanted to take up bjj but I'm from the middle of nowhere small town Ohio.
If you're within an hour of a descent sized town (especially if it has a college), I'd recommend google. If there's a college, small groups/clubs might be open to outsiders - particularly with that wrestling background. r/bjj may also have some suggestions based on your area.

Or see if you can practice with a local wrestling team - it's the midwest, maybe even help coach wrestling. Worst case scenario - get some wrestling mats and set up a Gracie Garage.

I know plenty of people who watch MMA, not many of them post in social media about it. I haven't for years but I still watch all the big events.

Im sure if you spoke to your 1000 Facebook Friends you'd find some of them watch UFC.

Even my friends who are into it don't really know what they are watching or who is fighting if it's not Conor

I've known a couple but it really is an esoteric interest in my circles.
It really goes to show how much money is in advertising. ESPN was willing to pay $1.5b for 5 years of content, and seem to pull only half a mil to 2 million viewers for any one particular event.

But those viewers are still mostly 18-50yo males, the most highly coveted demographics.

Without even getting into leader loss ESPN+ value and/or the PPV provider deal made. Then again, streaming ads may not make it a leader loss soon.

The economics are fascinating, for those willing to think beyond the basics.

Is it “ok boomer” to be interested in a topic longer than 11 seconds and more than surface level?

Last edited:
Considering this sport involves locking two people in a cage and having them beat the fuck out of each other until one's unconscious, then eat unanswered shots to their unconscious head until a ref stops it.

I'm honestly surprised it has such a main stream appeal for how brutal the sport is. Not exactly something a lot of people are into or want their children to watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back