Anyone else out there know zero people who are into MMA/UFC?

After 246 the Facebook feed was filled with people who I know damn well don’t follow mma or ufc posting memes about the main event. Fucking casuals.

I know a lot of people who follow MMA and/or boxing.

No one who follows Kickboxing though. A couple people who watched it back in the k1 grandprix days I guess.

Seriously I have around a thousand Facebook friends and and not a single person post anything about MMA. Also at my workplace no one knows anything about MMA either, my dad watches a bellator event every once in awhile but that's it. I can't be the only person who has no one to talk to about MMA.

You can talk to us....

Considering this sport involves locking two people in a cage and having them beat the fuck out of each other until one's unconscious, then eat unanswered shots to their unconscious head until a ref stops it.

I'm honestly surprised it has such a main stream appeal for how brutal the sport is. Not exactly something a lot of people are into or want their children to watch.

Well boxing is even more brutal and just as popular and its been accepted for a long time.

Seriously I have around a thousand Facebook friends and and not a single person post anything about MMA. Also at my workplace no one knows anything about MMA either, my dad watches a bellator event every once in awhile but that's it. I can't be the only person who has no one to talk to about MMA.

ive tried to get friends and/or family excited for an event over the years. They’ve shown temporary interest but it NEVER lasts.

Casuals only tune in for Conor or when Ronda used to fight.

I was watching oilers vs coyotes game saturday afternoon and the color guy was talking about "the other great Connor performing tonight"... Almost spat out my tea don't mention that Irish plumber in same sentence as McJesus, Remenda you bum.

Just curious, where are you from?
I am from Serbia, Balkan Peninsula, Europe.
Actually, I was born in Bulgaria, and people are very friendly towards MMA there. But when you cross the border, in Serbia 99% of people think you are insane and even offer you "psychiatric help".

Would you really be making these pointless threads if you actually had friends?

What does it matter whether one's colleague/dentist/plumber is into mma?

After Khabib spanked McGoober at UFC 229, a lot of hardcore Muslims I know suddenly became MMA fans, celebrating the great hero Khabib who defeated the infidel whiskey merchant.

Some of the people I know whom I least expected to be MMA fans, suddenly started posting about Khabib.

Al-Hamdulillah.

Here in Austria this sport is super niche. People that know about MMA or rather UFC here are mostly huge casuals.
My friends are kinda interested in MMA due to me getting excited for certain cards and talking about them. But they wouldn't sit home alone and watch by themselves like a true sherdoggwr.

I work with one lad who is into MMA, well more so into UFC he doesn't really watch other but he does watch every UFC event so we have lots to talk about.

Other than that people only know McGregor. Saturday at work everyone was talking about the fight but no one was staying up to watch it other than one or two.

One of my best mates invited me round to his to watch the fight but he's not a casual he just watches the big fights like Conor so I didn't really want to go round because I'm interested in the whole card so I'd end up missing it. Plus he came up to me saying "Conor is fighting tonight isn't he, he's fighting that Cowboy guy. Conor is going to get battered isn't he?" So I stopped him there.

For a number of years I didn't meet anyone who was into MMA, but when I recently decided to go back to school I noticed that quite a few of the younger crowd are into it now, more so than when I was in high school/college. McGregor vs Khabib was on a different level tho, everyone was into it. Even family members who never watched a fight I didn't force them to were suddenly streaming that shit.

Bellator but not UFC? Does your dad know a bellator fighter or something?

I hear you mate, I'm the only person in my entire office who watches MMA, all of them like AFL or cricket instead which is so dull in comparison. It's why I'm on here so often at work.

My Dad is 70 and in to MMA. It is very cool to be able to have that with a parent. I got him into it back when Pride was on, and being a lifelong boxing fan, it was easy to make the crossover. Funny, he got me into boxing as tiny kid, watching Tyson, Hearns on mainstream TV, staying up late and watching Sweet Pea vs Chavez on PPV when I was in like 4th grade or something, and then I got him into the new era. Too bad UFC has this silly ESPN + thing and cut out the baby boomers like him from the pic.

This is a sign you should train a combat sport.

Terrible idea

The irony of self defence is that you will definitely destroy your body, but will probably never be attacked

I have those very VERY few encounters with people who actually know jack about MMA.

2011 - Back in high school, an old friend of mine asked if I was gonna watch Patricio Pitbull vs Georgi Karakhanyan, which surprised the fuck out of me. My BJJ coach asked about Feijao vs Hendo and Bigfoot beating Fedor in Strikeforce. Haven't talked to either guy in a very long time.

2017 - For a community college Geology class, I got partnered with a guy who apparently trained with Travis Lutter. I told him I remembered Lutter from the Anderson Silva fight. We hit it off but never got partnered again after that day.

2020 - Manager at my part-time job asked me about my old Bellator sweater from like 2015 and started talking about recent MMA events and he suddenly brought up the WEC once Cerrone came into discussion. Surprised the shit out of me too.

That's about it. I appreciated every single one of those discussions.

No one give a shit about MMA in the real life. They rather prefer watch real athlete like football players or basketball players. I can't blame them though.

Back