Any Ex-Overweight Mayberrians?

I was a chubby kid until I started practicing kickboxing at the age of 14. Now I'm fit and I feel awesome.

I'm around 5'10 and was 102kg at my heaviest - I looked solid until I took my top off and there was a gut and handles. My resolve to hit the gym and eat clean saw me drop 14kg in 12weeks and I now feel and look great. Confidence is up and I no longer have to worry about things likely legs chaffing when I wear fitted jeans. Oh, I also paid a nutritionist!

Maybe it's the weight loss but I think regular exercise in general does wonders for your psychological well being - once you see results you'll never want to go back! TS my hat goes off to you, you've achieved what many others haven't or never have the will to see through! Did you hit the gym or just ,monitor your foods/calorie intake?

I have some extra fat around my lower back/hips. Proportionally, I've always had a bit extra around there compared to my stomach. I'm actually not sure if it's loose skin now or just the last place that fat is being stored. Maybe a bit of both? I'm going to try drop my BF% a little more and assess the status.

I'm no expert tbh, it could still be fat I suppose. But a few things lead me to think it's just skin leftover (I can feel some decent abs underneath, my weight loss stopped dramatically @ 170lbs and I had to grind down to 150lbs, and the rest of my body responded really well to the exercise). I always exercised alone with no real knowledge of weight loss so it's just my guesswork really

I'm around 5'10 and was 102kg at my heaviest - I looked solid until I took my top off and there was a gut and handles. My resolve to hit the gym and eat clean saw me drop 14kg in 12weeks and I now feel and look great. Confidence is up and I no longer have to worry about things likely legs chaffing when I wear fitted jeans. Oh, I also paid a nutritionist!

Maybe it's the weight loss but I think regular exercise in general does wonders for your psychological well being - once you see results you'll never want to go back! TS my hat goes off to you, you've achieved what many others haven't or never have the will to see through! Did you hit the gym or just ,monitor your foods/calorie intake?

Congrats! I can agree with the psychological well being aspect. Being on the couch all day and eating like a slob made me feel like shit (and look like shit).

I did both. Although at some stages I wouldn't exercise, so I would just monitor my intake so I didn't gain weight.

Apart from my gut, my jiggly ass, my 4 chins and my dangly arms, I'm fit as a fiddle.

I have gone back and forth from 200 to 220 for about 12 years now (28 yrs old)

I am about 210 right now, was a little less than 200 in the summer. The holidays are killer. But I don't east fast food or snack a lot so even though I am occasionally inactive I don't get too obese. In the past couple years I've done some adventure races, 5ks, and stair climbs and it's definitely a great feeling being relatively in shape. I'll start working out again once I get settled in the new house, it's been a while!

Congrats! I can agree with the psychological well being aspect. Being on the couch all day and eating like a slob made me feel like shit (and look like shit).

I did both. Although at some stages I wouldn't exercise, so I would just monitor my intake so I didn't gain weight.

The exercise is definitely the deal sealer, I wouldn't have been able to drop as quick as I did without regular cardio. I'm taking it you just cut out the sugar and fats? Did you research anything like BB.com etc or did you just take educated guesses?

BTW I'm currently in the States and its so damned hard to eat anything other than deep fried food!

I'm technically overweight. I doubt I'll get my BMI below 25 any time soon either.

BMI is retarded, or atleast doesn't work if you're relatively fit or have any amount of muscle on you. I'm 185 lbs, 5'11" with about 12% BF, but my BMI is like 25.5. It's a very generalized system.

i let myself get a huge gut not that long ago.

lost 40 pounds in about 3-4 months. not hard.

went to gym 5 days a week. cut out bread, gave up sweets, chicken breast and zucchini is your friend. really did not have to put too much effort into it.

also, don't eat just to eat.

Peak weight: 114kg
Current: 74kg

I wore size 42 pants, now 31.

My key to permanent weight loss was to accept a new life style change rather than going on a temporary diet. Soft drink was the first to go, then snacks, then sweets, etc...

Oh yeah - At my heaviest, I was around 270. Then I started training in MMA and the weight just flew off and I got in shape - Didn't even notice at first cause I was having so much fun. In over year, I lost about 90 lbs, two shirt sizes and around 8 inches off my waist.

My key to permanent weight loss was to accept a new life style change rather than going on a temporary diet. Soft drink was the first to go, then snacks, then sweets, etc...

I wear size 48 pants....FAT FAT FAT

The exercise is definitely the deal sealer, I wouldn't have been able to drop as quick as I did without regular cardio. I'm taking it you just cut out the sugar and fats? Did you research anything like BB.com etc or did you just take educated guesses?

BTW I'm currently in the States and its so damned hard to eat anything other than deep fried food!

I didn't do a tonne of research, but the sticky in S&C helped me out alot. I am very familiar with calories/kilojoules, so without counting my exact intake, I'm always pretty aware of how much I've actually eaten/drank over the course of a day. This tendency just manifested itself over the years naturally.

Was 350+ and am now around 210 normally. Got down to 199 with cardio and started working out with weights and what not now. Have loose skin at this weight so didn't really want to get much lighter. With the weight lifting for a few months, I hope to put on some good muscle so when I do cut to around 180-190 area I won't look like complete shit. As for the questions:
Has your quality of life improved?

--Absolutely. I run 5k's and 10k's every month and competed in a triathlon. I don't sweat when I do more than breath so that is pretty sweet. Fit in seats at sporting events/airplanes. Everything is pretty much way easier.

Do you function better socially?

--I functioned pretty well socially as a fat guy so I'd say not too much. Just made me more confident so obviously that would help your social skills.

Are you having more success with females/males?

--Been with a chick since August who is way hotter than any of the previous chicks I had been with and actually got hit on by decent looking girls this semester at school (definitely a first).

i let myself get a huge gut not that long ago.

lost 40 pounds in about 3-4 months. not hard.

went to gym 5 days a week. cut out bread, gave up sweets, chicken breast and zucchini is your friend. really did not have to put too much effort into it.

also, don't eat just to eat.

Yeah this is true. It's not hard in theory, but it's never easy to stick to something for an extended time period and alter ones lifestyle.

Congrats, thats a big change. How tall are you if you don't mind me asking?

Oh yeah - At my heaviest, I was around 270. Then I started training in MMA and the weight just flew off and I got in shape - Didn't even notice at first cause I was having so much fun. In over year, I lost about 90 lbs, two shirt sizes and around 8 inches off my waist.

90lbs wow, congrats. I was going to start training MMA but I tore my ACL in both knees lol.

Yeah, I was a fatty lost it and kept it off for 10+ years.

Everything is better.

I gained it back during Grad school and my first few jobs after that. Struggling with it now.

Serious decrease in quality of life.

Back