Anti-Doping at the Olympic Games

Alejo

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Does anybody know how strict are the Anti-Doping controls at the Olympics? I've tried to google it, but I'm not getting to much information.

For example, are athletes randomly tested 365 days a year, like in the UFC? Do they test blood more than urine? Do the other events, where the athletes participate during the rest of the Olympiad, have the same strict Anti-Doping controls?

From what I've learned watching MMA, it seems to me that if they do not have random drug tests throughout the whole 4 year period before the Olympics, chances are they are all taking something.

Dude the UFC literally has probably the most comprehensive drug testing of any major sport.

It's actually really sad and I'm not sure why leagues like the NFL, NBA, etc. don't get absolutely shit on for having a joke of a testing program compared to a sport that makes like 1/50th of the revenue they do.

The Olympics is a joke too, you only get tested like a month before the competition starts. Everyone is roided to the gills. The trust national teams to drug test their athletes in competition (lol) before that.

Also these athletes basically constantly drug test themselves and keep tabs on their blood work to stay within normal ranges and ensure they won't test positive. And I still am not sure if they test for HGH and other substances that require expensive and specific tests.

There are like 6/7 runners other than Usain Bolt who have gotten below 9.80s in the 100m dash, and every single one tested positive for steroids except for him.

Do you think Usain Bolt is just a freak of nature or can we just accept the obvious that he's also using steroids?

Do you think Usain Bolt is just a freak of nature or can we just accept the obvious that he's also using steroids?

You don't think he is a freak of nature? Ever seen another 6'5" world class 100m sprinter?

When do you think he started doping? He's been stupidly fast since he was 15. He only started track in 2001 at 15, and by the end of the year he went into the 47s in the 400m and 21.6 for the 200m, medalling at the world youth games ... at 15 yrs of age in his first year running competitively. Is that when he started doping?

By his second year of competitive running he was already junior world champion.

You don't think he is a freak of nature? Ever seen another 6'5" world class 100m sprinter?

When do you think he started doping? He's been stupidly fast since he was 15. He only started track in 2001 at 15, and by the end of the year he went into the 47s in the 400m and 21.6 for the 200m, medalling at the world youth games ... at 15 yrs of age in his first year running competitively. Is that when he started doping?

By his second year of competitive running he was already junior world champion.
Dude his coach is on camera buying steroids and HGH lmao he's a known chemist more than a coach. He even changed his last name to try and hide the fact he had been caught before dealing steroids to his athletes, apparently not understanding how Google works.

He likely started doping around the 2008 Olympic Games.

Just look at his time drops these are unheard of and clearly the result of doping.

2008: 9.69s broke world record in 100m

2009: 9.58s broke world record in 100m

Same thing happened for his 200m

Understand there are only 7 other people who have run sub-9.80 in history and they all have tested positive for steroids.

Please explain to me how someone breaks the world record and then lowers their time within less then a year by .11s which is an eternity in the 100m? Do you think naturally he became that much faster?

Sorry it's just not possible for people who are already at the peak of their sport to suddenly rapidly increase their time in that manner naturally.

Usain Bolt is naturally probably one of the fastest people on the planet, but he is 100% supplemented by PEDs like essentially every sprinter is.

This are the kind of questions I wanted to find answers to. If Bolt, Phelps or whoever are not been randomly tested for the whole 4 year period before the Olympics, I'm betting there is a 90% chance they are all on drugs.

That doesn't mean they not are genetic freaks also, or that they do no train hard. But, no way I believe those guys are clean if they are not been tested like the UFC test its athletes.

The Olympics are a joke. Just look at Russia they had state sponsored doping, they cant be the only one. Jamaica is also known to cover for their athletes or straight up not test them.
They would never do anything that would jeopardize Bolts clean image. Bolt is on the juice 100% look how all those other guys get busted left and right and they are slower then him.

That is why its not a fair contest you have countries like Australia, Germany, UK and the US etc. Were the governing body actually tries to bust people for doping. And you have those other countries that actually help the athletes cheat.
Just imagine how juiced up everyone from North Korea must be.

So he was already the best and just wanted to be more 'the best'?

Just look at his time drops these are unheard of and clearly the result of doping.

Don't show me progression. Show me where he was getting beaten and then became unbeatable. He was never getting beaten up. OTOH, Ben Johnson was beaten by a few runners (including one of my friends) until Dr. Jamie Astaphan took over. Carl Lewis was not unbeatable until he grew 5" after his growth spurt. Tim Montgomery looked normal running 10.0, then a year later he looks like a monster and is running 9.75. Where is that with Bolt?

Understand there are only 7 other people who have run sub-9.80 in history and they all have tested positive for steroids.

THat ^^^^ is the single best argument.

Please explain to me how someone breaks the world record and then lowers their time within less then a year by .11s which is an eternity in the 100m? Do you think naturally he became that much faster?

two things: (1) we've never seen a 6'5" world class sprinter before (2) his starts are still very average --- he might be able to go even faster.

Sorry it's just not possible for people who are already at the peak of their sport to suddenly rapidly increase their time in that manner naturally.

But he may not have been at his peak.

Calvin Smith the former WR holder in the 100m was clean. So was Robson Da Silva. Both of those guys might have gone sub-9.8 with modern shoes and a post Tokyo 1991 track surface.

I've known a clean athlete to be the best in a sport that is as dirty as they come. Every 3 or 4 decades you get a single freak.

Keep in mind I'm a drug free athlete, worked to organize an anti-doping team, my only other message board ID is "compete_clean" and a I ran a sport anti-doping website.

I'm not saying he is certainly clean, I just want to know where the jump in performance occurred and what dodgy missed or failed tests there are. He may be dirty or he may be a freak of nature among dirty teammates. If he's doped then I'll be the first to troll this board with that news.

I find it astounding that no one is talking about Mo Farrah, Galen Rupp and the Nike Oregon project since:

(1) Phil knight has a history of history of organizing doping teams (Athletics West anyone?)

(2) It is now well publicized that Galen Rupp has been on thyroid meds and TRT since he was in high school.

(3) Mo Farrah is one missed test way from being banned.

(4) Kara Goucher spilled the beans on the Nike Oregon project shoving prescription meds (not prescribed to her) at her when she had a bad race.

Crickets.

Bolt was stuck at barely sub 20s for a few years and didn't win anything against the grown ups until 2008 when he improved massively. As did a bunch of his compatriots.

Bolt was stuck at barely sub 20s for a few years and didn't win anything against the grown ups until 2008 when he improved massively. As did a bunch of his compatriots.

@senri

Not according to the IAAF website. https://www.iaaf.org/athletes/jamaica/usain-bolt-184599

He ran sub 20s 3 yrs after starting in competitive track -- then it took another 4 yrs to run the WR. Is that ludicrous?

The scarier thing is his 100m progression;

yr 1: 10.03 (first year running the 100m!!)
yr 2: 9.69

We could argue what that means.

Bolt was 16 when he ran 20.58 and went under 20secs at age 17, 3 yrs after he ran his first race -- so ya, he was destined to be the greatest 200m runner in history.

To be fair, in Beijing he pretty much started his celebration with 30 meters left so it's not too surprising that he was to beat that time so soon. But ya to say I'm skeptical about Bolt being clean is an understatement, don't know that I even really care all that much its nature of the sport.

To be fair, in Beijing he pretty much started his celebration with 30 meters left so it's not too surprising that he was to beat that time so soon. But ya to say I'm skeptical about Bolt being clean is an understatement, don't know that I even really care all that much its nature of the sport.
I'd buy that explanation but the exact same unexplainable time drop happened with his 200m

He broke the world record at Beijing then broke it again by an unprecedented amount less than a year later. He didn't do the celebration thing for the 200m to explain the difference.

Bit of an honour system leaving the countries to look after it themselves for the most part. When athletes from countries with crappy testing start to excel it does make one a bit skeptical

I'd buy that explanation but the exact same unexplainable time drop happened with his 200m

He broke the world record at Beijing then broke it again by an unprecedented amount less than a year later. He didn't do the celebration thing for the 200m to explain the difference.

It mostly has to do with the power he generates on his strides as well as the cadence of his legs which is as fast as those who are under 6ft, this is the primary reason as its rare to move the way he does for as tall as he is. Knowing that he is tall means he can prolong his top speed for longer than 20m which is the standard for elite sprinters.

He was sprinting ludicrous times as a youth with little base strength and just going off of raw talent.

Dude his coach is on camera buying steroids and HGH lmao he's a known chemist more than a coach. He even changed his last name to try and hide the fact he had been caught before dealing steroids to his athletes, apparently not understanding how Google works.

Usain Bolt is naturally probably one of the fastest people on the planet, but he is 100% supplemented by PEDs like essentially every sprinter is.

If he was doping he would have been caught like all other athletes did recently from WADA. Blood samples are kept for up to 8 years. Nobody was safe even superstars like Iliya ilin in weightlifting was caught despite govt backing.

I find it hilarious that Lily King blasted Yulia Efimova for being a drug cheat, then proceeds to beat the drug cheater while she is on her high horse about how clean she is. The bitching only works if you went out and LOST to the big bad Russian cheater. The fact that you dominated the big bad drug cheater makes me feel like Lily King herself is on the best drugs.

It mostly has to do with the power he generates on his strides as well as the cadence of his legs which is as fast as those who are under 6ft, this is the primary reason as its rare to move the way he does for as tall as he is. Knowing that he is tall means he can prolong his top speed for longer than 20m which is the standard for elite sprinters.

He was sprinting ludicrous times as a youth with little base strength and just going off of raw talent.

In sherdog logic, you just ignore stuff like he ran sub 20secs at age 17, 3 yrs after showing up at a track.

Since he's Jamaican, the answer must be that he was doped from age 15!!

In sherdog logic, you just ignore stuff like he ran sub 20secs at age 17, 3 yrs after showing up at a track.

Since he's Jamaican, the answer must be that he was doped from age 15!!

Hahahah i suppose. Canadian sprinter Andre degrasse tyson who just won bronze. It wasnt long ago that he ran under 11 in his first race ever in high school in a plain shirt along with basketball shorts and borrowed spikes from a friend whom suggested that he go out and race. He was spotted immediately as that is not normal talent lol. Bolt is the same kind of talent but bigger and taller.

Hahahah i suppose. Canadian sprinter Andre degrasse tyson who just won bronze. It wasnt long ago that he ran under 11 in his first race ever in high school in a plain shirt along with basketball shorts and borrowed spikes from a friend whom suggested that he go out and race. He was spotted immediately as that is not normal talent lol. Bolt is the same kind of talent but bigger and taller.

De Grasse must have been doping when they cancelled basketball at his high school. I mean look at his phsyique!

For cereal!

@senri

The IAAF website is cool because you can click on the "progression" tab for each athlete and look at how their PBs improved. You want to know what a doped athlete looks like? Look at Tim Montgomery. At 24 he was slower than Usain Bolt was at age 17 -- and then out of no where Tim Montgomery goes in consecutive years: 10.00, 10.01, 10.01 and then 9.78.

So at 24 he had already plateaued and then suddenly crushes the WR. Not surprising he did time for dealing, money laundering and heroin distribution.

Back