Another underwhelming Izzy performance... ??

its the wrestling

gastellum, vettori, romero, jan

I think I just value boxing a lot , probably more than most MMA fans and to me Izzy should be jabbing A LOT more often and he's got a huge reach on everybody. I'd like to see him set up some combos upstairs with his jab. He waits to counter too often and avoids pocket exchanges for the most part. I think it's just my style preference.

He was advancing yeah but he landed damn near ZERO meaningful offense the entire fight. Forward pressure doesn't mean shit if the offense that comes with it isn't effective. Vettori had a double Jab, and THAT was it.

Izzy only landed leg kicks throughout the fight. It wasn’t a good performance.

Not really a compliment. You don't want your middleweight champ having similar fights to your women's champ/beating them in similar fashion.
That's on Vettori, not Israel. Israel shut him down.

It wasn't the most entertaining performance, but it was very dominant.

I think I just value boxing a lot , probably more than most MMA fans and to me Izzy should be jabbing A LOT more often and he's got a huge reach on everybody. I'd like to see him set up some combos upstairs with his jab. He waits to counter too often and avoids pocket exchanges for the most part. I think it's just my style preference.
Yeah, his Boxing is the weakest part of his striking game

Izzy only landed leg kicks throughout the fight

Which is still more than Vettori so I'm not sure what you're point is, and it doesn't really disprove mine either.

{<huh}

Strikes landed are strikes landed in the end of the day, and Izzy landed more strikes overall, are you implying Vettori should have been rewarded for pushing forward but landing nothing? That's not how this works Sway.

lol? he presented no threat to izzy and still izzy refused to do anything expect spam leg kicks and keep backpedaling
Vettori didn't gave him much room, he was busy pressuring him unlike that dumb and stupid motherfucker Costa that just stood there and was barely doing anything.

Adesanya style isn't to risk

reminds me when Anderson was dominating. He had his share of boring fights too

Which is still more than Vettori so I'm not sure what you're point is, and it doesn't really disprove mine either.

{<huh}

Strikes landed are strikes landed in the end of the day, and Izzy landed more strikes overall, are you implying Vettori should have been rewarded for pushing forward but landing nothing? That's not how this works Sway.
I’m not saying Vettori won the fight. I’m saying that Izzy looked like crap. He wasn’t piecing him up or landing with power. He was backing up and throwing leg kicks. Marvin came a lot closer to finishing the fight than Izzy did.

He looked good. Not great, but good. Not boring, either. There was just no need for him to overextend and risk getting taken down.

Vettoris face was basically clean after the fight. Underwhelming by Izzy, coming from a fan

I’m not saying Vettori won the fight. I’m saying that Izzy looked like crap. He wasn’t piecing him up or landing either power. He was backing up and throwing leg kicks. Marvin came a lot closer to finishing the fight than Izzy did.

The RNC Choke was close, but that can't be his only claim to fame when he got the position reversed shortly after and swept on a number of occasions allowing Izzy to get back to his feet. Jan almost got a submission on Izzy to, you want to know the difference? Jan was a MUCH better technical striker, and had more tools and attributes to work with unlike Marvin.

Marvin's just a really well rounded and tough guy, he's not particularly threatening ANYWHERE against the elite of the Division, hence his lack of finishes against the Top 10.

For someone talking so much shit and promising a finish he looked like the said shit. He was in zero danger and did nothing but leg kicks for 25 min. He did enough to win for sure, but not enough to back up the trash talk. And for sure not a performance worthy of a champion. Good for him this division is the least competitive.

Is he, dare I say,
BORING?

Idk man. I'm not trying to be that guy. No hate, he won fair and square but aside from the leg kicks he really didn't do much. He had plenty of opportunities to counter upstairs but didn't do much of it at all.

I can't tell if his boxing is mediocre, if he just coasted tonight, if he's a veiled point fighter or if he was actually scared of Vettori's power but I thought the performance was underwhelming.

U agree experts??
Very underwhelming he still kept going backwards against a guy with a virtually mashed broken leg. Really he did fuck all.

For someone talking so much shit and promising a finish he looked like the said shit. He was in zero danger and did nothing but leg kicks for 25 min. He did enough to win for sure, but not enough to back up the trash talk. And for sure not a performance worthy of a champion. Good for him this division is the least competitive.
You hit in on nail bud. Izzy's performance was embarassing, he kept going backwards against someone who had just one leg.

Is he, dare I say,
BORING?

Idk man. I'm not trying to be that guy. No hate, he won fair and square but aside from the leg kicks he really didn't do much. He had plenty of opportunities to counter upstairs but didn't do much of it at all.

I can't tell if his boxing is mediocre, if he just coasted tonight, if he's a veiled point fighter or if he was actually scared of Vettori's power but I thought the performance was underwhelming.

U agree experts??
As someone that don't like sanya at all i can say you he fought pretty well, the fact is just marvin is a hell of a tough guy and also look how he was able to avoid sanya shots, marvin is absolutely not respected as the fighter he is..

He just has bad TDD and no BJJ. Palhares would probably have finished him in 2-3 minutes.
The gastelum fight showed he does have some game off his back when needed. He uses very similar strategy to anderson a lot of times and just chills and waits for opportunities. Eventually it could backfire on him when he fights someone who is really good at takedowns as he would most likely lose via decision at best

My God, how can some of you guys call yourself mma fans. You see a complete technical shutdown with so many great moves (that 1-2-leg kick is so damn beautiful) and you call that boring. I don't know why you watch this sport if you can only find beauty in some flashy finish every time. If this is boring, then 85% of fights are.

I am not even talking about how it cannot look any different if you fight Vettori. I mean you can engage in slugfest if you want but even Vettori wouldn't want that. You do what your opponent give you while applying your game.

Back