Angela "Overkill" Hill: won her UFC debut; now working as a security guard to get by.

She made like 16 K (8 show + 8 win bonus)
For one fight

Fuck I'll take 5k and get my ass knocked out

16k - taxes and gym fee's = About 10k for 3 months work.

= Around $800 per week.

Not sure about the states but thats around $200 below minimum wage in Australia.

Of course it's the life you choose but at least minimum wage right lol...

Oh my god, she actually has to take...a...JOB?! Jesus Christ! What is this world coming to! How can she not be guaranteed a life of not actually working and just training and fighting?! Good God help us, have mercy! How do I donate money to this poor woman?

How do I donate to your fund? I don't know how you find time to post here. Especially with 2 full time jobs and sleeping. You my friend are a dedicated poster. Lol

What was the last "shitty plays/short film" you were in that could have effect your speech ability or to walk for a week? I get the comparison but its a terrible one is my point. From what I understand she's not just complaining about pay but not getting another fight yet. So unless you are contracted by a studio for a certain amount of films/pay its night and day. If you are then you wouldnt be doing shitty plays or short films. You also would be complaining about not getting work.

Of course, it's very different. We're both "performers" but the comparisons end there. What I do is much, much, much easier and I'd never argue otherwise.

But my point is that it was my choice to pursue my dream, just as it's a fighters choice to pursue theirs. I know it's highly unlikely I'll ever earn much money, and I knew that going in. Of course, there's potential to make a fuck load of money, just like there is with fighters, but probably less that 1% of actors worldwide ever see any significant money. Same with fighters.

If money was my goal, I could've pursued a career that would earn me much more, but I made a different choice. So, for me to bitch about how much work I'm getting, or how much money I'm earning, would feel wrong. And I think it's the same for fighters. They made the choice to be a fighter. One of the ramifications of that choice is that it's pretty likely they'll never make much money.

If they want to make a lot of money, they should choose a different career. I'd say the same to any athlete/artist.

However, all that said, I do feel sorry for fighters in the UFC who have to take second jobs. Being a fighter is a risky business, and most will never even make it to the UFC, but, if you do make it to the highest levels in the sport, you should earn enough to be able to train without needing a second job.

But I'd say the same about Olympic athletes. They've all put in a shit load of blood, sweat and tears too, and a lot of them struggle to make ends meet their whole careers.

If you were in the spotlight on national tv, being seen by millions of people, you would get paid an assload of money because of the actors union, aka SAG.

Hill was one of their poster girls for that last season of TUF and she's ranked in the top 15. It's not like this is some sort of human rights violation or anything, it just makes the UFC look like a semi-pro bush league. Like an eating competition or something.

You don't know what you are talking about. Acting is a tough profession because very few can earn the big money. I promise you that any actor at the level in their profession where Hill is in hers would need a second job to eat.

Conor McGregor was on $12k/$12k in his second fight in the UFC. Now look at him. He has put himself out there, he's marketed himself and now the UFC is paying him huge dollars and he's making bank.

well that's why mma talent pool will always be so limited.

Guess what, I also chose a career where the money is less than guaranteed.

In fact, most of the work I've done, I've done for free. If you measured the ratio of unpaid to paid work hours, it'd probably be somewhere in the region of 100:1... maybe worse.

And you know what? I made that choice and I live by it. Fighters should do the same.

You want more money? Go do something else. No one's forcing you to be a fighter.

Damn bro, what do you do?

Edit: Just read the above responses. Good luck with your career man.

16k - taxes and gym fee's = About 10k for 3 months work.

= Around $800 per week.

Not sure about the states but thats around $200 below minimum wage in Australia.

Of course it's the life you choose but at least minimum wage right lol...
Your minimum wage is a net figure after taxes and expenses? In the US minimum wage is set at the gross earnings level. Net 800 per week would gross up to about 52k per year. Well more than minimum and absolutely liveable for a single person without requiring a second job.

Am I wrong, or does having a UFC contract keep one from fighting for other organizations at the same time? This is another reason why the UFC should pay fighters more.

Joanne Calderwood likes to fight. I expect she would fight once a month (or even every other week) if she was allowed to, and was given medical clearance. If she could pick up fights at InvictaFC or WSOF between her UFC fights, I fully expect she would. And she could earn much more money by fighting more fights in addition to her UFC fights. But her UFC contract constrains her to wait for the UFC to offer her a fight, and not fight otherwise, am I wrong, or is this how it works?

This is another reason why the UFC should at least pay enough for fighters to not have to work a second job: the UFC is contractually limiting the practice of these fighter's profession (as well as giving them opportuities). They can work outside jobs, but not take outside fights.

I worked security like 3 years, never complained.

But my point is that it was my choice to pursue my dream, just as it's a fighters choice to pursue theirs. I know it's highly unlikely I'll ever earn much money, and I knew that going in. Of course, there's potential to make a fuck load of money, just like there is with fighters, but probably less that 1% of actors worldwide ever see any significant money. Same with fighters.

IMO the big difference between Olympic athletes, Actors etc versus UFC fighters is that the fighters are actually employed by an organisation.

I spent a big portion of my youth training for the 400m in track. You make zero dollars until you're an olympic medallist. You can't complain because it's something you want to do.

That was years ago. Recently I spent over a year developing and producing an independent feature. It's time and effort but it's with zero. The pay off down the line may be big

Of course, it's very different. We're both "performers" but the comparisons end there. What I do is much, much, much easier and I'd never argue otherwise.

If money was my goal, I could've pursued a career that would earn me much more, but I made a different choice. So, for me to bitch about how much work I'm getting, or how much money I'm earning, would feel wrong. And I think it's the same for fighters. They made the choice to be a fighter. One of the ramifications of that choice is that it's pretty likely they'll never make much money.

If they want to make a lot of money, they should choose a different career. I'd say the same to any athlete/artist.

However, all that said, I do feel sorry for fighters in the UFC who have to take second jobs. Being a fighter is a risky business, and most will never even make it to the UFC, but, if you do make it to the highest levels in the sport, you should earn enough to be able to train without needing a second job.

But I'd say the same about Olympic athletes. They've all put in a shit load of blood, sweat and tears too, and a lot of them struggle to make ends meet their whole careers.

I get your point but Im not sure Im making my point the best. I guess Im saying what you do "shitty plays/short films" is a closer comparison to fighting at a local show. As opposed to the being in the UFC would be like signing with a movie studio and not getting roles and not being allowed to be in those plays or short films. Does that make sense? Lol Im pretty tired so Im not sure if what Im thinking and sayingare the same thing. Lol

Am I wrong, or does having a UFC contract keep one from fighting for other organizations at the same time? This is another reason why the UFC should pay fighters more.

Joanne Calderwood likes to fight. I expect she would fight once a month (or even every other week) if she was allowed to, and was given medical clearance. If she could pick up fights at InvictaFC or WSOF between her UFC fights, I fully expect she would. And she could earn much more money by fighting more fights in addition to her UFC fights. But her UFC contract constrains her to wait for the UFC to offer her a fight, and not fight otherwise, am I wrong, or is this how it works?

This is another reason why the UFC should at least pay enough for fighters to not have to work a second job: the UFC is contractually limiting the practice of these fighter's profession (as well as giving them opportuities). They can work outside jobs, but not take outside fights.

Guess what Mark. I can take on a second job but I'm not allowed to take one in the financial sector. This is normal. No business wants to employee you while you compete with them.

?? she was on film for about 5 minutes outside of her fight

She faded down the stretch as the show got taken over by bitches, but they are going to rely on her to sell that division since she is one of the few likable ones and has more potential than most of those other chicks.

She's number 13 in the world and she needs a second job to make ends meet, which means the UFC is underpaying fighters or the division is a joke. Either way, that's an image problem for Zuffa. This is up there with JDS having a middle aged wife and Barao having to do his own laundry by hand.

Your minimum wage is a net figure after taxes and expenses? In the US minimum wage is set at the gross earnings level. Net 800 per week would gross up to about 52k per year. Well more than minimum and absolutely liveable for a single person without requiring a second job.

I hate it when people bring up taxes and expenses. Every person/business has taxes and expenses.

I get your point but Im not sure Im making my point the best. I guess Im saying what you do "shitty plays/short films" is a closer comparison to fighting at a local show. As opposed to the being in the UFC would be like signing with a movie studio and not getting roles and not being allowed to be in those plays or short films. Does that make sense? Lol Im pretty tired so Im not sure if what Im thinking and sayingare the same thing. Lol

His acting as comparable to angela being the first fight on a ufc card, would be him eating in the background at the diner in a Seinfeld episode.

The show wasn't about him, nobody noticed him, and no one bought a ticket to see him.

Interesting that she said no bonus. By the way she stated it, it seems like she just got 16k and no backstage reward / no sponsorship because it was the finale. 16k and that's it, before the cost of medicals / extra cornerman & accommodation / training costs. Pretty average, although she isn't a needle mover.

Back