Angela "Overkill" Hill: won her UFC debut; now working as a security guard to get by.

Just barely average in the pinnacle organization in all of professional MMA. That should be worth not having to supplement one's income as a security guard.

just barely average at wal-mart, one of the biggest and richest organisations in the world is likely not enough to not have to suppliment one's income to live the lifestyle they desire

that's just not real life

the ufc contains the pinnacle of MMA within it's fold but they also have a number of card fillers/unexceptional talent and they are generally paid accordingly

Just barely average in the pinnacle organization in all of professional MMA. That should be worth not having to supplement one's income as a security guard.

Right, UFC Straw Weight is the pinnacle of MMA.

How many customers make buying decisions based on that division? Investment is being made to develop it, but the seller will get the same buys with or without it. The first fight on the prelims is just a commodity. It could be 2 gym teachers, nobody cares and nobody will alter their purchase decision because of it.

It's pretty difficult with todays digital boom. There is so much content that it's tough to get seen.

Even if you made an indie film to the level of El Mariachi by Robert Rodriguez in todays market it would still be difficult to make waves.

Getting paid isn't the biggest deal if you enjoy it though. LoL.

True, but I'd say it's much easier now than it's ever been before. By a long shot.

Yeah, there's more competition. But now, you can make a full length feature for practically zero dollars, especially if you beg/borrow equipment and talent.

But even if you need to pay for everything, you can get the bare minimum for 10-20k. The development of digital cameras, home PC's and the home editing software makes filmmaking far more accessible than it was back when Rodriguez mad El Mariachi.

Just the cost of camera/film used to put filmmaking outside the reach of most people.

Fuck, I just saw a video the other day shot on a goddamn Samsung Note phone and it was in 4k definition! The picture quality was FAR better than any indie film from the 80s/90s. Those guys would fucking cream themselves if they could've seen the the technology we have available today. And soon, that level of quality will be standard in phones, so you won't even need to buy a high end camera to make a bare-bones film of surprisingly good quality.

Not to mention the digital distribution methods make it far easier to be seen, not harder. I mean, pre-internet, what were your options? Festivals and art house cinemas... that's it.

Well the good news is if she keeps fighting like she did her first fight she will not have a too worry about a second job. If shes worthy shell be fine. Its supposed to be hard.

sad part is she graduated from cooper union. i think she concentrated in animation. its her fault for not applying the same dedication to art as she did to training. otherwise she'd be able to make a decent living doing freelance animation/visual development work to support herself instead of having to work security.

Cooper union, eh? Pretty crazy she's doing this shit. My cousin in law also graduated from cooper union. She is an architect and she has been jobless for more than a year. Lol

Last edited:
Did nate really get 16k? I'm going to look for a source but do you have one?

He did, but he's working off a front loaded contract. He got paid to sign and less per fight.

How do I donate to your fund? I don't know how you find time to post here. Especially with 2 full time jobs and sleeping. You my friend are a dedicated poster. Lol
Send it to Crymeariver 5th Avenue. Thanks!

Also, I laughed at "2 fulltime jobs".

just barely average at wal-mart, one of the biggest and richest organisations in the world is likely not enough to not have to suppliment one's income to live the lifestyle they desire

that's just not real life

WalMart underpaying its employees does not affect the quality of its merchandise. The UFC not paying its fighters enough so that they can train without the distraction of a second job DOES affect the quality of the product of the UFC, and affects it negatively. As a consumer, I want to see fighters at their best. They won't be at their best if they can't focus fully on training.

If the UFC aspires to a reputation as the best MMA promotion in the world, they sure as hell shouldn't be using WalMart as a business model, because being the best MMA promotion isn't about being the biggest or the richest company, it is about putting on the best quality fights for the customer.

Right, UFC Straw Weight is the pinnacle of MMA. How many customers make buying decisions based on that division? Investment is being made to develop it, but the seller will get the same buys with or without it.

Wrong.
But also irrelevant. I'm sure each division has pretty much the same contracts. This pay issue is an issue that affects all weight divisions equally, male and female. Don't go off on meaningless tangents.

The first fight on the prelims is just a commodity. It could be 2 gym teachers, nobody cares and nobody will alter their purchase decision because of it.

Whenever you tune in to watch a fight, even the prelims, that is a business-affecting decision with economic consequences. Advertizers buy time for the Fox prelims, they sure as hell want people to expect a good fight on the prelims and take the time out from their day to come and watch so that their advertising gets seen. Even the Fight Pass prelims need to be good so that people will want to subscribe to Fight Pass. It certainly will not do to put on two gym teachers. Don't be ridiculous.

You talk like you are quite happy if the early fights on a card suck. Why would you want that, if you could have good fights throughout a card instead?

If the UFC aspires to a reputation as the best MMA promotion in the world, they sure as hell shouldn't be using WalMart as a business model, because being the best MMA promotion isn't about being the biggest or the richest company, it is about putting on the best quality fights for the customer.

in your opinion... the guys that have actually built this sport and given thousands of fighters a living and a chance at their dream would likely disagree. mma is a sport and the sport of mma requires the best quality fights for the customer but the ufc is a business and it's absolutely all about being the biggest and the richest company and it will always be about that, so please let yourself down gently and stop hoping that it'll ever be anything else, it'll only hurt you more in the long run!

also please see fights like cro cop vs mir, anderson silva v thales lietes and even the latest jones v cormier fight as reference... higher pay, or even higher skill does not necessarily translate into better and more enjoyable fights

anyway i personally have spent too much time in discussing this when i really don't even care! lol... i wish her all the best and hope she can earn the opportunity to train and fight full time and chase her dream... but to paraphrase author terry pratchett, everyone has a dream, but everyone needs wages whilst hoping for it to happen... [full quote: "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages."]

So,she'll be a 115 lbs female security guard?

Whenever you tune in to watch a fight, even the prelims, that is a business-affecting decision with economic consequences. Advertizers buy time for the Fox prelims, they sure as hell want people to expect a good fight on the prelims and take the time out from their day to come and watch so that their advertising gets seen. Even the Fight Pass prelims need to be good so that people will want to subscribe to Fight Pass. It certainly will not do to put on two gym teachers. Don't be ridiculous.

Maybe in a philosophical sense, but in reality, it is only the portions that affect the decision to tune in or tune out that matter. You are also making a correlation between fine tuned skill and entertainment that doesn't always exist.

You talk like you are quite happy if the early fights on a card suck. Why would you want that, if you could have good fights throughout a card instead?

I prefer that they don't suck, but i don't expect Jones/Gus either. A good fight happens when competitors are equally matched. That match can be made at lower than the highest skill level and still provide quality entertainment that FOX offers their sponsors.

Two hungry fighters, equally matched makes for some good fights. That level of fighter is easy to come by and easily replaceable. When replaced, it will affect the viewing decision of 0% of those who previously intended to watch.

Maybe in a philosophical sense, but in reality, it is only the portions that affect the decision to tune in or tune out that matter.

The expected quality of the prelims should be the main reason to tune in to the prelims. If you only think the main card will be any good, then there's no reason to tune in to the prelims.

wasnt that like her 2nd mma fight?

she can join the other 1000's of mma-ers having to do this. meh.

16k - taxes and gym fee's = About 10k for 3 months work.

= Around $800 per week.

Not sure about the states but thats around $200 below minimum wage in Australia.

Of course it's the life you choose but at least minimum wage right lol...

Not really. You can't base minimum wage on a weekly amount. That would imply a certain number of guaranteed hours, or else hourly wages would be fucking insane.

Minimum wage is based on hourly wages both for juniors and adults, with it changing in certain industries and within different states.

because being the best MMA promotion isn't about being the biggest or the richest company, it is about putting on the best quality fights for the customer.

if that was the case then there would be no 115 womens divsion.
which i would fully support.

Would she rather be working in Invicta? They barely have any events anymore...
I don't think she posted this to be pitied or to complain about money.
The bigger issue here is the lack of a limitation of extended breaks for healthy
fighters waiting on hand for a fight. Perhaps she should go the Cowboy route and
sit in some offices and demand some fights. Or use this time off to begin to form
a fighters union. Someone mentioned that she graduated with a degree in animation...
Well she chose her path. She can make it something great. There's people with much
less opportunity.

Back