Angela "Overkill" Hill: won her UFC debut; now working as a security guard to get by.

You are also making a correlation between fine tuned skill and entertainment that doesn't always exist.

Of course it doesn't always follow that the most skilled fighters will give the best fight. But if you are saying that it isn't generally added value to have fighters with more skill and training, then the logical consequence would be that the UFC needn't use pro fighters at all, right? Amateur events would be just as good as pro.

it is what it is

mma is a young sport that is still growing

And rightfully so. Every d-level athlete shouldnt make a full living off an a-athletes sport.

Of course it doesn't always follow that the most skilled fighters will give the best fight. But if you are saying that it isn't generally added value to have fighters with more skill and training, then the logical consequence would be that the UFC needn't use pro fighters at all, right? Amateur events would be just as good as pro.

Doctors are better with training, too. Fuck loads better, in fact. However I dont see hospitals tripping over themselves paying for their doctors to be there. The doctors usually have to get their own ass through school and do all their homework so they can have the job they want. They dont become a doctor and then ask the hospital to put them through medical school.

There is a tipping point. I just assert that it isn't at the Angela Hill level. Fighters at that level are unknown and readily replaceable much like the person working at McDonalds.

The opportunity to have one of those spots is almost certainly as valuable or more than the 16k. That is the chance to show that you are worth more and could possible affect a consumers decision to buy a ticket or watch on TV.

When you can affect the purchasing decision, you have value beyond your ability to fight and are worth more in the marketplace. You are less replaceable.

A prelim fighter who could in theory beat Wanderlei Silva is not worth what Wanderlei is because Wanderlei, even at a degraded skill level can impact the decision to buy. It's his presence more than his ability at this point.

It's what people will tune in for or tune away from that guides those early prelim slots. There is a virtually endless supply of people in that range who are willing to fight for the opportunity. That puts all of the leverage with the promotion and none with the unknown fighter needing the promotion in order to exist to the fan base.

But an athlete with a UFC contract should not be treated as a d-level athlete.

But that's what early prelim fighters are in the entertainment landscape.

Should or shouldn't doesn't mean a thing.

Nothing against Angela in any way, but if she stopped fighting tomorrow, nobody would notice. It would have no impact.

I really do HATE fighters who bitch about bonuses. I FUCKIN HATE that shit. I really HATE when a fighter wins spectacularly and then gets on the mic and asks zuffa for a bonus.

Hill is 2-0, and 1-0 in the UFC. she has a lot potential, but potential doesn't earn money. if she fights and wins another 2 fights, i'm sure her income will grow exponentially and then she can post pictures of her thousand-dollar desserts. life's not fair until it's fair.

She's a nobody in the land of the UFC, she lost in the house and got a gimme fight so all the girls could get a fight. If she never fought again I wouldn't be to fussed.

The top 15 of a previously nonexistent division that nobody cares about. It is clearly a dip shit job at this point in history.

$859 per day? She got 16k for her one day fight. It's the gap in between for these professions that make it tough for those that are very replaceable without affecting the final production.

So make 16000 that needs to be taxed, pay bills, pay trainers, pay rent, and then wait til whenever she fights again? Please stop, she chose the profession yes but lets not act like you can live on that type of money for a year. Angela will get another fight, after what she displayed at the TUF finale she will get a call but in the mean time she is making ends meet her way

There is a tipping point. I just assert that it isn't at the Angela Hill level. Fighters at that level are unknown and readily replaceable much like the person working at McDonalds.

You've just identified yourself as totally ignorant. You need to educate yourself.

Angela Hill is a Muay Thai North American champion and a rare strawweight with knockout power. These are reasons that the UFC wanted her despite her not having all that much MMA experience yet. It is plain that she is a very special fighter indeed who will have an exciting future in MMA. And so far the only MMA fighter to defeat her is the current division champion. If you don't watch her fights in the future it will be your loss.

So what TS ?
Should taxpayers all chip in so that she can make a good salary ?
Or should a law be passed to force the UFC to pay her more ?

What are you proposing ?

Maybe she just wants to have her next fight a little sooner since she won and took no damage.

I wish more UFC fighters wanted to be more active.

She would take your handout and shove it up your ass.

got get work where you can find it.

You should apply that to yourself, after your utterly inane doctor/medical-school analogy earlier. It was too wacky to even warrant a rebuttal.

lol

In what way? Worse than you repeatedly saying training makes fighters more skilled?

Guess what, I also chose a career where the money is less than guaranteed.

In fact, most of the work I've done, I've done for free. If you measured the ratio of unpaid to paid work hours, it'd probably be somewhere in the region of 100:1... maybe worse.

And you know what? I made that choice and I live by it. Fighters should do the same.

You want more money? Go do something else. No one's forcing you to be a fighter.

Beyond any sense of compassion for the fighters, it's just bad for the sport to pay them that low. Professional athletes should be able to devote all their time to their craft. I don't think any nationally televised professional sport in the United States has their professional athletes work second jobs.

I'm not calling for every UFC fighter to be a millionaire, but none of them should be near poverty in absence of working a second job. That makes it impossible to train to your maximum potential.

So make 16000 that needs to be taxed, pay bills, pay trainers, pay rent, and then wait til whenever she fights again? Please stop, she chose the profession yes but lets not act like you can live on that type of money for a year. Angela will get another fight, after what she displayed at the TUF finale she will get a call but in the mean time she is making ends meet her way

I don't think she is even complaining, she is doing what she needs to do, I completely respect that.

I'm arguing with those that suggest 16k wasn't enough for that fight. It was and her tweet indicates she'll fight again in April. If she never improves her income and fights 4x per year she has a livable wage without needing a second job.

Speak for yourself, Angela has talent and destroyed her last opponent I dont see why people wouldnt want to see that. She is a friend of mine so you can fuck off. If a person being themselves bothers you then go cry a river somewhere else, Angela is making ends meet her way until she gets another fight, go take your non talented/non fighting ass somewhere else instead of bitching. She didnt post the pic to be pitied and didnt post it to garner your attention. Angela just wants to fight plain and simple, if it was ronda posting a pic saying she was working security you would be dick riding and trying to be a white knight, difference is at least I know Angela personally and these bull shit responses are unwarranted to her

I give a criticism of her people share with me.

In response you deliver a muddled spiel after admitting you know her personally.

And then you punctuate this embarrassing spiel by trying to conveniently say I would do this or that.

Hey, check out the responses to this and squeal more for me:

Nzbvilu.jpg

Back