Angela "Overkill" Hill: won her UFC debut; now working as a security guard to get by.

The issue is: wouldn't we be seeing better fights in the UFC if getting a UFC contract meant that a fighter could focus on training mma without needing the distraction of a second job?

The issue is really that the UFC is both the major and minor leagues of MMA....and everything else besides a handful of fighters are amateur level.

There isn't any reason the UFC should have to pay this woman a bunch of money. No one knows who she is.

And the answer to your question is no. This woman was 1-0. The UFC signed her and she fought...so even if the UFC paid her 5 million dollars for the fight she wouldn't have magically been better.

Fighters skills don't increase because of their purse......their purses increase because of their skill.

Even the top fighters don't usually rely solely on UFC paydays--they have their hands in a lot of different things to help support them and allow them to live comfortably as full-time fighters. And in some cases, this 'extracurricular' activity helps them earn bigger paydays when the time comes. They hustle like anyone else who earns their way. And they all got to that point by enduring the grind at the lower tier, just like everyone before them.

yes exactly, sometimes people think that the fight game is what they want to do and it'll set them up for life. there is an extremely small window of opportunity to even the best fighters to rake in as much cash as possible and to use that money responsibly to plan for their careers after their athletic prime is over

not many people will get the chance to make that kind of cash out of their sport (very few in any sport in the world, really) and as you say, sometimes have to think ahead or hustle their way through until that opportunity comes

I'm not sure if this is a slight at a 1-0 fighter getting a fight in the UFC.....or that a fighter that was 1-0 when she signed with the UFC should somehow be making large amounts of money?

I'm suggesting that if the UFC gives someone a contract, they shouldn't need a second job.

You think the UFC should pay the fighters based on training hours? Does the fighter training directly make the UFC money?

Do you think that the UFC gives out contracts with no understanding that fighters will be training as part of the expectation of that contract?

Should the security company be paying her for training hours too because it makes her a better security guard?

I know of security companies that do. In fact a lot of companies pay employees for training time. You are unaware of that?

How much do you think she should have made for he first UFC fight? Given that she was 1-0 when she signed.

It was their judgment to give her a contract with a 1-0 record. But this isn't really about Hill in particular. I think she is being treated like everybody else. It is about us as UFC audience members having to watch fighters who aren't being paid enough to just be able to focus on training. This isn't just Hill, this is a lot of fighters, no? If we want to see top notch fights, then we should want to watch fighters who can focus on training and not have to have a second job.

She's ranked number 13 in the world. This puts the UFC about halfway between American Ninja Warrior and Being A Real Sport. Not embarrassing at all and a major selling point for potential new fans.

I'm not sure if this is a slight at a 1-0 fighter getting a fight in the UFC.....or that a fighter that was 1-0 when she signed with the UFC should somehow be making large amounts of money?

You think the UFC should pay the fighters based on training hours? Does the fighter training directly make the UFC money? Should the security company be paying her for training hours too because it makes her a better security guard?

How much do you think she should have made for he first UFC fight? Given that she was 1-0 when she signed.

1,800 people bought tickets for the TUF20 finale. More people than show up to tailgate at high school football games.

Shouldn't pay them based on training hours and you know that's not what was said. You're dumping down the debate by saying that and any point you make can't be taken seriously if that's your style.
Does the NFL teams higher coaches and trainers and pay them good money to train their athletes? Does training those athletes directly make the NFL/teams money? No! So how exactly does your argument make sense? It doesn't because you basically made up what you were arguing against. If you are going to debate then lets do it properly. No need to try to prove to yourself that your intelligent. You are Im sure so please don't do that.

Ps I'm using a tablet and my autocorrect changes stuff so if some words don't make sense Im sorry. Lol

I thought her beatdown of Kagan was pretty entertaining & she would be pretty cute if she cut that fro-hawk. Anyways, one of the few fighters I liked on the show.

I'm not saying the UFC should be mandated to pay her more, but she is worth more than what they pay her. I hope she gets another fight & beatdown someone like Felice "Attention" Wherrig.

What do you do, loser?

I'm an actor.

When I do get paid, it pays well... but you have to put in a lot of work doing shitty plays/short films for free in order to get your skills to the point where people will hire you for the real, professional gigs.

The market for women beating each other up just isn't that fruitful.

If you want a promising career with a strong chance of success, don't become a cage fighter. Especially if you're a woman.

I'm suggesting that if the UFC gives someone a contract, they shouldn't need a second job.

Why not? Why does being the first fight on a UFC card automatically entitle someone to stable income?

Do you think that the UFC gives out contracts with no understanding that fighters will be training as part of the expectation of that contract?

I would assume they assume everyone trains. Is training required by the UFC? No. Does the training itself directly provide any income back to the UFC? No.

I know of security companies that do. In fact a lot of companies pay employees for training time. You are unaware of that?

Pretty sure the UFC paid for food and lodging for angela to live in a house for 12 weeks and do nothing but train. Was that not enough? A security company would pay for angela to train while she's "on the clock" during a work day. Security companies don't pay security guards to go take BJJ at night. Just like the UFC doesn't pay fighters to go train UFC. Just like the PGA tour doesn't pay golfers to go practice golf in their spare time. Its expected. You're training to win a prize, you don't get a prize for training.

THey do 5'3 female "security"?

she doesn't necessarily have to be working in a hell's angel's bar lol... if she's working somewhere checking some ID, telling people not to smoke and to leave when they're too drunk, why not?

Shouldn't pay them based on training hours and you know that's not what was said.

You're just trying to draw a distinction between "pay them to not have to work" and "pay them so they can train full time".

They are in effect the same exact thing. Paying a fighter enough so they can train full time and not have a second job = paying them to train.

Is it not?

I'm an actor.

When I do get paid, it pays well... but you have to put in a lot of work doing shitty plays/short films for free in order to get your skills to the point where people will hire you for the real, professional gigs.

What was the last "shitty plays/short film" you were in that could have effect your speech ability or to walk for a week? I get the comparison but its a terrible one is my point. From what I understand she's not just complaining about pay but not getting another fight yet. So unless you are contracted by a studio for a certain amount of films/pay its night and day. If you are then you wouldnt be doing shitty plays or short films. You also would be complaining about not getting work.

Fighters skills don't increase because of their purse......their purses increase because of their skill.

Fighter's skills increase because of training. Training costs money and also requires time (and time away from a second job requires money too).

Oh my god, she actually has to take...a...JOB?! Jesus Christ! What is this world coming to! How can she not be guaranteed a life of not actually working and just training and fighting?! Good God help us, have mercy! How do I donate money to this poor woman?

I'm an actor.

If you were in the spotlight on national tv, being seen by millions of people, you would get paid an assload of money because of the actors union, aka SAG.

Hill was one of their poster girls for that last season of TUF and she's ranked in the top 15. It's not like this is some sort of human rights violation or anything, it just makes the UFC look like a semi-pro bush league. Like an eating competition or something.

Paying more money to a McDonald's employee might not get you a better burger or better fries, so i can see how you may not see any advantage to you, purely as a consumer, if those workers get paid more. But do you really think that you wouldn't see better fights if UFC fighters could just focus on their training without having to take outside jobs? A certain minimum pay that would better allow UFC fighters to focus more on training would CLEARLY result in better product for us as consumers, would it not?

A prelim fighter is like a McDonalds employee. At McDonalds, all of the employees do the same for the company. It doesn't take much to fill the job. Now every floor at McD's is made up of career burger flippers as well as up and coming high school and college students meant for more. Just because they are meant for more however doesn't mean McD's gets more from them in their current station.

Nobody cares about th prelim fighters, they just want a fight. The supply of people willing to take that fight is high. For the consumer, it's just a burger. People consume that particular burger because of the brand, not because of the chef just like stuffing your face at McD's.

You're just trying to draw a distinction between "pay them to not have to work" and "pay them so they can train full time".

They are in effect the same exact thing. Paying a fighter enough so they can train full time and not have a second job = paying them to train.

Is it not?

No its not. That's like saying "the ufc is paying conor to have interviews in his off time". He makes enough money from the ufc where he can train and do interviews. So is the ufc paying him to do those? Exact same thing. Could you imagine if they were? Lol.

Back