And you wanna tell me getting choked out is "not dangerous"?

I could get choked out 100 times in a row, if the choke is released when I go out there is no damage. At all. I'm fine. I took 100 naps.

IT DOES NOT ADD UP TS.

4-6 minutes until "brain death" sounds like blood chokes wouldn't be dangerous at first. However brain death is the worst case scenario and in the minutes leading up to it, parts of the brain are dying.

Blood chokes are serious shit. No they don't add up, and getting choked for 10 seconds won't permanently damage you. However, getting choked for 30 seconds will. I remember a match in the early days of MMA where a rear naked choke was held for about 30 seconds until the towel was finally thrown in; when the choke was released the guy immediately went into a seizure and was unconscious for several minutes. I remember a news article ffrom last year where a kid was showing off a rear naked choke at aa party, held it for around 30 seconds, and inadvertently killed his friend.

Choking is bad for you. It seems like a lot of people in this thread somehow forgot that strangulation kills people and puts them in comas; and no, it doesn't always take 4 to 6 minutes. Depriving oxygen from your brain will cause it to shut down, and the longer the brain is starved for oxygen, the more of it will die. I hope nobody honestly thinks you can hold a tight choke for a full minute without putting the person you're choking in serious danger of brain damage, becoming a vegetable, or death.

When you refuse to tap , it already show that you are not having enough oxygen to feed your brain . not tapping is stupid and dangerous .

I've been put out probably 5-6 times in bjj and have seen a ton of ppl go out. Blood chokes don't become dangerous until you hold them for a pretty long time while being out.

The point is, a lot of these fighters ARE choked out often......in fights and in training......it all adds up.

Brain damage can come much later in life.

Always tap. Mitrione did a dumb thing.
As my user name implies, some people are just too dumb to tap.

I've been put out several times and I'm perfectly fine. I've also had my body react the same way. It's part of training and competing. If you're smart, you tap early and often. If you don't you go to sleep, it is no big deal.

probably the dumbest post I've ever read

We hear it all the time that getting choked out is no big deal...
Did anybody watch Mitrione's left foot while he was choked out? That looks super scary to me. If a body reacts like that, then you can't tell me that is not dangerous.

Glad Mitrione is alright, that looked scary. To say the least.

You've got a great point there. I say the "left foot / you can't tell me test" should finally be admitted in MMA. If that foot trembles, no WAY this is safe and "you can't tell me" it is!

Seriously, I think that is a flawed protocol for judging safety. All we can go on is grapplers of the past. How many of them show brain damage when older compared to strikers like boxers??

THAT would be a far better test than the "you can't tell me" test, no?

It's perfectly safe and fine as long as the choke is released when the person goes out.

The danger comes when after they lose consciousness and the choke is still being applied that will stop the brain from getting oxygen, but it would take quite a while to do irreversible brain damage and as soon as the choke is let go blood and oxygen go back to the brain and you're fine. People have gone like 15 minutes without oxygen to the brain and are fine afterwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ufc925
Back