And you wanna tell me getting choked out is "not dangerous"?

silHx.gif

The infamous toe tap

Did anybody watch Mitrione's left foot while he was choked out? That looks super scary to me. If a body reacts like that, then you can't tell me that is not dangerous.

Ok doctor.

LOL,,, your brain gets its circulation cut off, and its no big deal !!:eek:

you can bet a few of your brain cells die, the longer, the more.
Cells need oxygen, the brain is not getting enough, it shuts down,
that is why you go to sleep. If the cells don't die, they would get
damaged from the lack of oxygen.

If you go to sleep, and the choke is still on, its a big deal

Thanks! Finally a guy who has his brain cells intact!

No one in here has any idea what theyre talking about.

chokes do not cut off 100% of blood to the brain. Its more like 20%.

and by the way shaking your head back and forth kills brain cells. Brain always adapts and finds new pathways as long as the damage isn't too great.

For a choke to be dangerous a person has to hold for it minutes some thing like 5 or 6 and even then you would have hold it even longer for it to be scary dangerous .Just look at the tons of drowning victims who where not breathing for minutes and recover with no problem. MMA chokes are not very dangerous

The worst part is the bruising to the throat, the actual nap is pretty much nice, esp when the choke is well done technically speaking.

It simply isn't dangerous, esp not with ref breaking it up.

But still, better to tap and not risk pooping yourself.

I'm waiting for a heavyweight to have the balls to eat a huge Mexican buffet before a fight, get choked out, and leave an elephant-sized, 'Andre the Giant'-type crap in the middle of the Octagon. It would be hilarious listening to Rogan call it. What you say in a situation like that?

It's not dangerous.

The point is, a lot of these fighters ARE choked out often......in fights and in training......it all adds up.

Brain damage can come much later in life.

Always tap. Mitrione did a dumb thing.
This is completely unsubstantiated. You need to be out for a longer time than any choke I've ever seen applied in practice, competition or a fight for brain cells to die. People are rarely out for more than a few seconds before the oxygen to the brain is restored.

we used to choke eachother out in middle school for fun back in the day before we even knew what mma was, we just called it the fainting game and we all came out just fine

you guys are so afraid of everything its sad

Did anybody watch Mitrione's left foot while he was choked out? That looks super scary to me. If a body reacts like that, then you can't tell me that is not dangerous.
In this thread I learned that sleeping is dangerous.

sleeping-dog-dreams-his-running.gif

I think the way the chokes get handled by MMA referees is spot-on. Feel the arm if somebody hasn't moved for five seconds, if limp call the fight.

Safer than driving to work anyway.

Getting into a prolonged fire fight with Afghani militants is safer than driving to work in Soviet Russia.

I'm waiting for a heavyweight to have the balls to eat a huge Mexican buffet before a fight, get choked out, and leave an elephant-sized, 'Andre the Giant'-type crap in the middle of the Octagon. It would be hilarious listening to Rogan call it. What you say in a situation like that?

If the ice incident is any indication, this would be epic... Completely and totally disgusting, but epic nonetheless.

I prefer to not tap to a choke, but I've only went there twice or so.

I tap because it's amateur level BS that means nothing if I win or lose, other than for fun/training.

If it was a pro fight, and it meant some kind of win bonus of any kind, you would never see me tap. I would either win or go out on my shield... In training if someone gets me, I tap as fast as I can once options are gone. If I was in a UFC card with thousands watching, I'd probably rather go out than tap.

Just personal opinion.

That's is true

Because your brain lacks oxygen. But that doesn't mean is dangerous if blood is immediately supplied to the brain right after the brain shuts down. Of course it might kill some brain cells but it's insignificant unless you get choked out often and you don't get released quickly.

Well then no big deal for MeatHead since he doesn't have any brain cells.

Japanese scientists have done studies and so far found no difference in brain activity.

Getting blood choked is not a big deal.

Concussions are an entirely different phenomena.

We hear it all the time that getting choked out is no big deal...

Glad Mitrione is alright, that looked scary. To say the least.

Excellent assessment, doctor.... It scared you, therefor it's dangerous? Just stop

The brain can go three to six minutes without oxygen before permanent damage begins to occur. There isn't an MMA referee in the world incompetent enough to wait long enough for that to happen. There's a reason that military training emphasizes choking the enemy only long enough to incapacitate them, then finishing them with a weapon or blunt force to the base of the skull, and that reason is that waiting long enough to choke someone to the point of death is probably going to get you killed.

People take the piss out of Schaub, but that was an awesome D'Arce he wrapped up the fight with. He's clearly working hard on his BJJ.

The point is, a lot of these fighters ARE choked out often......in fights and in training......it all adds up.

Brain damage can come much later in life.

Always tap. Mitrione did a dumb thing.

Proof?

Brain damage comes only after ~4 minutes, and I think no referee lets a fighter be choked for about a full round.

And yeah my argument is easily googled.

So are we gonna see a ton of "Choke Drunk" jiu jitsu guys in a few years? I doubt it.

Back