And you wanna tell me getting choked out is "not dangerous"?

S

supark

We hear it all the time that getting choked out is no big deal...
Did anybody watch Mitrione's left foot while he was choked out? That looks super scary to me. If a body reacts like that, then you can't tell me that is not dangerous.

Glad Mitrione is alright, that looked scary. To say the least.

Did anybody watch Mitrione's left foot while he was choked out? That looks super scary to me. If a body reacts like that, then you can't tell me that is not dangerous.

I've been put out several times and I'm perfectly fine. I've also had my body react the same way. It's part of training and competing. If you're smart, you tap early and often. If you don't you go to sleep, it is no big deal.

I've been put out several times and I'm perfectly fine. I've also had my body react the same way. It's part of training and competing. If you're smart, you tap early and often. If you don't you go to sleep, it is no big deal.

Lmao....do you realise WHY you go to sleep?

Because your brain lacks oxygen. But that doesn't mean is dangerous if blood is immediately supplied to the brain right after the brain shuts down. Of course it might kill some brain cells but it's insignificant unless you get choked out often and you don't get released quickly.

Interrupted blood flow to the brain. If its sustained it becomes a very big deal and very quickly, but a little twitching isn't nearly as terrible as it looks.

Because your brain lacks oxygen. But that doesn't mean is dangerous if blood is immediately supplied to the brain right after the brain shuts down. Of course it might kill some brain cells but it's insignificant unless you get choked out often and you don't get released quickly.

The point is, a lot of these fighters ARE choked out often......in fights and in training......it all adds up.

Brain damage can come much later in life.

Always tap. Mitrione did a dumb thing.

I prefer to not tap to a choke, but I've only went there twice or so.

I tap because it's amateur level BS that means nothing if I win or lose, other than for fun/training.

If it was a pro fight, and it meant some kind of win bonus of any kind, you would never see me tap. I would either win or go out on my shield... In training if someone gets me, I tap as fast as I can once options are gone. If I was in a UFC card with thousands watching, I'd probably rather go out than tap.

Just personal opinion.

The worst part is the bruising to the throat, the actual nap is pretty much nice, esp when the choke is well done technically speaking.

It simply isn't dangerous, esp not with ref breaking it up.

But still, better to tap and not risk pooping yourself.

The point is, a lot of these fighters ARE choked out often......in fights and in training......it all adds up.

Brain damage can come much later in life.

Always tap. Mitrione did a dumb thing.

Yeah, just look at all those punch drunk Judo guys in their 60's. Seriously, grow up.

I prefer to not tap to a choke, but I've only went there twice or so.

I tap because it's amateur level BS that means nothing if I win or lose, other than for fun/training.

If it was a pro fight, and it meant some kind of win bonus of any kind, you would never see me tap. I would either win or go out on my shield... In training if someone gets me, I tap as fast as I can once options are gone. If I was in a UFC card with thousands watching, I'd probably rather go out than tap.

Just personal opinion.

Eh, why did you feel the need to tell us all that? "By the way everyone, just so you all know, I'd never tap in a fight. I'm actually a bit of a hero."

Yeah, just look at all those punch drunk Judo guys in their 60's. Seriously, grow up.

Grow up?

What in the name of Christ is childish about saying cutting off oxygen to your brain isn't clever?

Sometimes getting choked is scary, I'll admit that. My sensei arm triangled me once and I entered a state of physical panic I can only assume was my body expressing anxiety over impending death, because it felt like my head was going to pop off my shoulders.

But asphyxia tends to happen with the painless gi chokes or leg triangles, because you don't react with panic.

My hat is off to anybody who's tough enough to go out rather than tap to a guillotine, rear-naked or arm triangle. I'm simply not that guy.

Getting choked unconscious is no doubt dangerous to some extent.

But you lose about 8 times the amount of brain cells spending 20 minutes on Sherdog.

Grow up?

What in the name of Christ is childish about saying cutting off oxygen to your brain isn't clever?

Nothing. But implying that "brain damage" mounts up from chokes is nonsense. Proof is all around us. 60 seconds of asphyxia is dangerous, but it never comes to that unless the person choking you is seriously trying to kill you.

Eh, why did you feel the need to tell us all that? "By the way everyone, just so you all know, I'd never tap in a fight. I'm actually a bit of a hero."

"I would either win or go out on my shield"

Oh my

Getting choked unconscious is no doubt dangerous to some extent.

But you lose about 8 times the amount of brain cells spending 20 minutes on Sherdog.

Dangerous yes. Harmful no.

As in you can do it repeatedly over long periods of time with no adverse effects, BUT if something went insanely wrong, you could die.

Sherdog is harmful, not dangerous.

Not a big deal. Actually going unconscious is your brains way of preventing damage. You have far less neural function unconscious as opposed to conscious, and your brain switches off the lights once the blood runs dry to avoid function failure. It also takes a minute and a half for brain damage to start AFTER oxygen starvation (once you're out).

Unless you're getting choked out and your opponents are holding chokes for minutes afterwards, it's basically harmless.

It's the same concept as 'passing out' or fainting. The blood leaves the head too quickly after an adrenalin dump sends a surge of blood to the limbs and the person becomes 'woozy' then passes out.

It's not like there's ever been a proven link to brain damage as the result of fainting. It's the same thing.

And about the twitches that sometimes occur, they're no worse than what can sometimes happen to people during or after sex.

It might look scary to the ignorant, but choking has been a part of martial arts training for centuries, and the people who train those martial arts tend to age very well indead. Boxing and football are the scary sports with repeated concussions. There's a big difference medically speaking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back