And you wanna tell me getting choked out is "not dangerous"?

Not a big deal. Actually going unconscious is your brains way of preventing damage. You have far less neural function unconscious as opposed to conscious, and your brain switches off the lights once the blood runs dry to avoid function failure. It also takes a minute and a half for brain damage to start AFTER oxygen starvation (once you're out).

Unless you're getting choked out and your opponents are holding chokes for minutes afterwards, it's basically harmless.

It's the same concept as 'passing out' or fainting. The blood leaves the head too quickly after an adrenalin dump sends a surge of blood to the limbs and the person becomes 'woozy' then passes out.

It's not like there's ever been a proven link to brain damage as the result of fainting. It's the same thing.

all of this.

We hear it all the time that getting choked out is no big deal...
Did anybody watch Mitrione's left foot while he was choked out? That looks super scary to me. If a body reacts like that, then you can't tell me that is not dangerous.

Glad Mitrione is alright, that looked scary. To say the least.

go away white belt.

seriously.

1 - how long has mma been going on.

2 - how many incidents are there of someone dying of a choke.

meathead also signaled the ref he was alright, like an idiot, because he didnt want to lose.

google is your friend, before you make an account to say that.

Swallow your ego and just tap

I agree with you in principle, but in all fairness, with gi chokes and leg triangles, sometimes you don't realize you're going out until it's too late and the tunnel shuts right before your eyes before you can make your hand or voice cry uncle... They really can be gentle and effective.

There is a few studies on this. And most of them come to the conclusion that if the choke is released in a short period of time it is harmless if you are fit and healthy.
If kept on for 4-6 minutes then serious brain damage can occur.
Not sure about long term effects, there may not be many people who get choked unconscious on a regular basis to conduct an effective study.

I agree with you in principle, but in all fairness, with gi chokes and leg triangles, sometimes you don't realize you're going out until it's too late and the tunnel shuts right before your eyes before you can make your hand or voice cry uncle... They really can be gentle and effective.

Agreed. But meathead has been fighting long enough to know he was in trouble, but the feud just made him too dumb to tap.

Theres also a difference between not tapping, and thumbs upping the ref.

The ref knew damn well he was going out, and thats why he jumped in quick at the end.

There is a few studies on this. And most of them come to the conclusion that if the choke is released in a short period of time it is harmless if you are fit and healthy.
Not sure about long term effects, there may not be many people who get choked unconscious on a regular basis to conduct an effective study.

Theres 100 years of bjj training and competitions, and 20 years of mma orgs in north america. and all the vale tudo orgs in brazil.

its one of the most pressure tested things on the planet.

Just dont try it at home, unless you know what you are doing thats all. Especially not in a real fight. THAT can be dangerous. Other than that, no, its been tested ad infinitum.

How many Judokas are there in the world? Is there any need for an "effective study"? I'm sure somebody would have noticed how all the dumb, slurry guys in their 60's like to grapple in pyjamas...

Agreed. But meathead has been fighting long enough to know he was in trouble, but the feud just made him too dumb to tap.

Theres also a difference between not tapping, and thumbs upping the ref.

The ref knew damn well he was going out, and thats why he jumped in quick at the end.

I think the way the chokes get handled by MMA referees is spot-on. Feel the arm if somebody hasn't moved for five seconds, if limp call the fight.

Safer than driving to work anyway.

Theres 100 years of bjj training and competitions, and 20 years of mma orgs in north america. and all the vale tudo orgs in brazil.

its one of the most pressure tested things on the planet.

Just dont try it at home, unless you know what you are doing thats all. Especially not in a real fight. THAT can be dangerous. Other than that, no, its been tested ad infinitum.

The thing is I don't think people realize the absurd difference in time between choking somebody out (10 seconds max) and harming somebody with a choke (60 seconds minimum). You really have to enjoy squeezing a limp lifeless person's neck to do any harm, and at that point it's not the sport that's dangerous.

I think the way the chokes get handled by MMA referees is spot-on. Feel the arm if somebody hasn't moved for five seconds, if limp call the fight.

Safer than driving to work anyway.

Yeh, the ref cant stop the fight with meathead giving a thumbs up. There would be 5 fans in TS place crying their eyes out.

He just went. LOL OK. Took a step back and then waited 3 seconds.

I think it's telling how Judo competition won't allow arm or knee locks before competitors are a certain age, but chokes are ok. In training, they always tell you to go easy with the joint locks, but nobody worries about the chokes at all.

I really think this is just a matter of unfamiliarity breeding ignorance.

How many Judokas are there in the world? Is there any need for an "effective study"? I'm sure somebody would have noticed how all the dumb, slurry guys in their 60's like to grapple in pyjamas...
Most people will tap rather than getting choked out. So if someone wanted to make a study of the long term effects of getting choked out regularly it may be difficult to get enough subjects. Is there a need for an effective study? Probably not, but people make studies over things more preposterous than this.

The thing is I don't think people realize the absurd difference in time between choking somebody out (10 seconds max) and harming somebody with a choke (60 seconds minimum). You really have to enjoy squeezing a limp lifeless person's neck to do any harm, and at that point it's not the sport that's dangerous.

Its not that simple. Be careful in real life.

Doing it for party tricks, especially on (willing) girls, you need to be very careful with the windpipe and the landing. And also the fact you are pissing around with a (possibly) drunk person, doing something that could be construed as very rape like. Just the fact people drink or smoke weed changes the game up a lot. Also you dont know their medical history. When MMA fighters do that on youtube, they also know exactly what they are doing, and how to react if things go sideways. In an MMA fight, its always the same weight division also. Chokes dont take a lot of pressure to work. You have to be very careful with the windpipe also.

You should really check yourself before doing it as a demo, and never ever ever ever do it on anyone unless they want you to.

Doing it in a real life fight, you need to realise they wont tap, because they dont know how to, and they will fight you like you are trying to kill them.

Theres not a lot of examples of people accidentally killing their friends, but there are incidents of people (and even security/police) killing people in a real life fight, because their adrenalin is up and they go full retard. MMA fighters have a completely different conditioned response.

Dont try this at home basically, and if you do, thats on you.

Most people will tap rather than getting choked out. So if someone wanted to make a study of the long term effects of getting choked out regularly it may be difficult to get enough subjects. Is there a need for an effective study? Probably not, but people make studies over things more preposterous than this.

Anybody who trains Judo goes out now and then, irrespective of their attitude to tapping. A lot of Judo chokes you won't even realize you're in trouble before it all goes dark.

Its not that simple. Be careful in real life.

Doing it for party tricks, especially on (willing) girls, you need to be very careful with the windpipe and the landing. Also you dont know their medical history. When MMA fighters do that on youtube, they also know exactly what they are doing, and how to react if things go sideways.

Doing it in a real life fight, you need to realise they wont tap, because they dont know how to, and they will fight you like you are trying to kill them.

Theres not a lot of examples of people accidentally killing their friends, but there are incidents of people (and even security/police) killing people in a real life fight, because their adrenalin is up and they go full retard. MMA fighters have a completely different conditioned response.

Dont try this at home basically, and if you do, thats on you.

Oh, I'm with you all the way there. People shouldn't go around choking people outside of training situations, for sure. I think even professional fighters who know what they're doing should try not to, because it only makes them look bad.

All I meant was I think people get confused because in a movie if somebody wraps their hands around your throat for 15 seconds, you're dead, and that's probably why they think martial arts chokes are so dangerous.

rashad evans did to chuck liddell was dangerous.

And about the twitches that sometimes occur, they're no worse than what can sometimes happen to people during or after sex.

It might look scary to the ignorant, but choking has been a part of martial arts training for centuries, and the people who train those martial arts tend to age very well indead. Boxing and football are the scary sports with repeated concussions. There's a big difference medically speaking.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...3-8459-657e0c72fec8_story.html?wpmk=MK0000205

Hopefully soon technology can offer some help for more timely ID.

Waiting until fighter limp invites a little extra time but so far most are noticed quickly.

Maybe some health buffs will chime in later. Curious as a fan. Giving up on football due to CTE. Love hockey but fights goto go.

Back