And you wanna tell me getting choked out is "not dangerous"?

They need to cut mitrione and schaub, both are terrible fighters. Then again so are most heavyweights.

Oh, I'm with you all the way there. People shouldn't go around choking people outside of training situations, for sure. I think even professional fighters who know what they're doing should try not to, because it only makes them look bad.

All I meant was I think people get confused because in a movie if somebody wraps their hands around your throat for 15 seconds, you're dead, and that's probably why they think martial arts chokes are so dangerous.

I wouldnt go wholesale like that, but theres a big difference between someone who knows what they are doing and someone who doesnt. Likewise theres a big difference between people who are willing and people who are not.

The idea of someone watching ufc and then going off and doing it for a joke on someone who is drunk and stoned, in a room full of sharp edges and without their permission is the biggest issue. No one would KO someone for fun.

Likewise, punching someone isnt likely to be called attempted murder.

Ive seen doormen expertly take down a big man in 3 seconds. Ive also heard of one incident where someone needed to be resuscitated because they died in the store, after a marine intervened when they had smashed a bottle over a female shopkeepers head.

Just be very careful, if you know what you are doing.

And if you dont then leave it to the professionals.

There is a few studies on this. And most of them come to the conclusion that if the choke is released in a short period of time it is harmless if you are fit and healthy.
If kept on for 4-6 minutes then serious brain damage can occur.
Not sure about long term effects, there may not be many people who get choked unconscious on a regular basis to conduct an effective study.

Dude...im about to save you from some jail time... damn.

Where do people get this shit.

I've been put out several times and I'm perfectly fine. I've also had my body react the same way. It's part of training and competing. If you're smart, you tap early and often. If you don't you go to sleep, it is no big deal.

LOL,,, your brain gets its circulation cut off, and its no big deal !!:eek:

you can bet a few of your brain cells die, the longer, the more.
Cells need oxygen, the brain is not getting enough, it shuts down,
that is why you go to sleep. If the cells don't die, they would get
damaged from the lack of oxygen.

If you go to sleep, and the choke is still on, its a big deal

You also have to remember these guys are in the same weight division and there is a ref right there.

Being in the same weight division is a massive equalizer in the game, as Jon Jones is finding out in his own way.

A 16 dude pulling an air choke too hard on a 8 stone dude is not a great scenario, anatomically, which is why there are weight divisions in UFC.

Essentially - its beyond safe in an MMA event, and beyond stupid if you dont know what you are doing.

Yep, after a minute.

Be a little careful with the message here.

There is no scenario, outside of an actual BJJ/MMA fight, where a choke should be on longer then 10 seconds.

In all forms of fighting, a choke is released as soon as someone goes out, and maybe a second afterwards and usually a few seconds beforehand.

I wouldnt give people the message a minute is cool, by any stretch of the imagination.

If you go up to your BJJ trainer, and ask him to choke you out, and he is still fucking around 10 seconds later, then tap and find a new club. No one puts a choke on anyone for anything like a minute, unless its two trained athletes and they are defending the choke in a fight.

Its not dangerous in MMA, because its not.

At the same time, its not something anyone should do unless they know what they are doing , period.

Last edited:

Do you think you're teaching me something? No shit it's dangerous, every facet of combats sports is dangerous. If you're that worried about hurting your body you should probably pick another hobby.

It takes approx. 60 seconds of O2 deprivation before brain cells start to die. When I went through EMT training, 4-6 minutes was indeed the cited period of time for brain death to occur under normal conditions. While you go out quickly, there is still some O2 present. Just not enough to maintain full functionality. Somewhat like your portable device turning off the display to extend battery life. I have never seen a published peer reviewed study that pointed to any permanent damage resulting from 10-20 seconds of deprivation.

Nah brah, I love it when professional athletes are allowed to fist fight in the middle of a sporting event..

Not sure if serious. Maybe mixed. I used to like brawls a little too until learned about CTE.

While strikes to the head are large part of MMA and eliminating or diluting would reduce the entertainment factor so few would watch and squelch economic viability. Unfortunately a necessary evil but promotions like UFC regulated well. Fighters are same size , PED tested and only fight when both ready on comparable field. Fighters are not required to stand and trade until one drops. Some do but not expected and rarely good strategy. Tip my hat to Don Frye.

Hockey does not need bare fisted impromptu fights. It is physical enough with checks etc... and fighting not the objective.

Possibly the hockey players could do side MMA grudge matches.

page 5 and no pic, why is this still open again?

Not sure if serious. Maybe mixed. I used to like brawls a little too until learned about CTE.

While strikes to the head are large part of MMA and eliminating or diluting would reduce the entertainment factor so few would watch and squelch economic viability. Unfortunately a necessary evil but promotions like UFC regulated well. Fighters are same size , PED tested and only fight when both ready on comparable field. Fighters are not required to stand and trade until one drops. Some do but not expected and rarely good strategy. Tip my hat to Don Frye.

Hockey does not need bare fisted impromptu fights. It is physical enough with checks etc... and fighting not the objective.

Possibly the hockey players could do side MMA grudge matches.

I was not being serious. I find 'hockey fights' to be a ridiculous tradition.

I think he was just tapping out with his toes.

We hear it all the time that getting choked out is no big deal...
Did anybody watch Mitrione's left foot while he was choked out? That looks super scary to me. If a body reacts like that, then you can't tell me that is not dangerous.

Glad Mitrione is alright, that looked scary. To say the least.

Be a little careful with the message here.

There is no scenario, outside of an actual BJJ/MMA fight, where a choke should be on longer then 10 seconds.

In all forms of fighting, a choke is released as soon as someone goes out, and maybe a second afterwards and usually a few seconds beforehand.

I wouldnt give people the message a minute is cool, by any stretch of the imagination.

If you go up to your BJJ trainer, and ask him to choke you out, and he is still fucking around 10 seconds later, then tap and find a new club. No one puts a choke on anyone for anything like a minute, unless its two trained athletes and they are defending the choke in a fight.

Its not dangerous in MMA, because its not.

At the same time, its not something anyone should do unless they know what they are doing , period.

Yeah I wasn't saying a minute is cool, I was saying the ten seconds you could reasonably be in a choke are well within the danger zone.

Mitrione got shut down, as expected.

Schaub Abu Dhabi champ in 2014!!!

We hear it all the time that getting choked out is no big deal...
Did anybody watch Mitrione's left foot while he was choked out? That looks super scary to me. If a body reacts like that, then you can't tell me that is not dangerous.

Glad Mitrione is alright, that looked scary. To say the least.

"Looking scary" and "dangerous" are different things in medicine. Sometimes they are related, sometimes - not.

It's better to get choked out than knocked out, both for your headache level and career longevity.

The point is, a lot of these fighters ARE choked out often......in fights and in training......it all adds up.

Brain damage can come much later in life.

Always tap. Mitrione did a dumb thing.

God dammit, could you people look up at how long it takes for brain cells to start dying from lack of oxygen? Why do idiots assume they know something (when they don't) and hurry to share their assumptions on the internet?

Grr.

It. Does. Not. Add. Up.
Strikes to the head do. Oxygen deprivation for a few seconds doesn't. If anything, chokes are more dangerous because of spine damage, not because of losing consciousness for a second.

Back