Social American History X on Netflix

F1980

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Pretty sure this movie was made to be an anti racist film, but after watching it for the first time yesterday, I'm not so sure. I've heard of this movie every now and then since it came out when I was still in high school. I've always thought it was about a racist guy who throughout his life, became a crusader for diversity. The talking points made by the racists in this movie are the same talking points made by racists in real life. It puts racists under a very negative light... but it also puts black people shown in this movie to be generally negative as well. Too many thugs and gangbangers that are very familiar if you've grown up in LA.

I think it shows that hatred and violence can create a vicious cycle that won't end. It was brave to not sugar coat either side.

One of my all time favorites.
It shows ignorance manifested in behaviors and the consequences of that ignorance.

It's a movie that's in there to show that there is compassion in the weirdest of places (a Neo-Nazi getting protected by the black dude and his friends from the laundry) and that past actions still have consequences (the ending) and hate creates a cycle.

Pretty sure this movie was made to be an anti racist film, but after watching it for the first time yesterday, I'm not so sure. I've heard of this movie every now and then since it came out when I was still in high school. I've always thought it was about a racist guy who throughout his life, became a crusader for diversity. The talking points made by the racists in this movie are the same talking points made by racists in real life. It puts racists under a very negative light... but it also puts black people shown in this movie to be generally negative as well. Too many thugs and gangbangers that are very familiar if you've grown up in LA.
It tries at a bit of realism. Was it supposed to pretend there isn't a problem with black people and gun-violence?

It was a warning to both white and black people. You can learn to hate for no good reason, and you can turn somebody hateful through crime. Any kind of people can wrong you, in the end.

It's a movie showing how someone is drawn to the ideology and how some find redemption and leave it.

The strange part is the ending - it's almost as if he was right to be a racist when Danny gets shot. Just a weird ending to a really good movie.

The strange part is the ending - it's almost as if he was right to be a racist when Danny gets shot. Just a weird ending to a really good movie.
That's not the message of the ending like, at all... the ending is all about past actions having consequences and that hate can breed more violence and shit that hits you in the end.

I’ll be honest, it did seem to be a little too sympathetic with the extreme far right at times for my taste.

Amazing movie. Watched it again on Friday while working at home.

What a damn shame that Edward Furlong ended up looking like Brian Peppers.

800px-Edward_Furlong_image_2.JPG

peppers.jpg

That's not the message of the ending like, at all... the ending is all about past actions having consequences and that hate can breed more violence and shit that hits you in the end.

The kid blew smoke in a thugs face that was trying to intimidate him - it's literally the only action Danny does in the whole movie.

Sure he's shot for that action, but really he just stepped out of a bathroom stall and was getting stepped to. He had no actions to face consequences; unless you are saying he deserved to be shot for his brothers padt acts.

I’ll be honest, it did seem to be a little too sympathetic with the extreme far right at times for my taste.
This is also too simplistic of a take.

It's sympathetic to two characters. Ed Norton's for being an angry kid that makes a choice through which is brother follows that ends in the brother's death. It has sympathy for the dead brother who had chosen to turn the page and try and better themselves only to be killed in a bathroom and for the older brother having to live the rest of his life with the knowledge that his choices indirectly/directly caused his brother's death.

The kid blew smoke in a thugs face that was trying to intimidate him - it's literally the only action Danny does in the whole movie.

Sure he's shot for that action, but really he just stepped out of a bathroom stall and was getting stepped to. He had no actions to face consequences; unless you are saying he deserved to be shot for his brothers padt acts.
You don't think it was well fucking known in the school who Danny and his brother were? It wasn't known WHY Derek went to prison or that they were skinheads and friends/followers of Cameron?

That movie is a masterpiece. Yes, it's harsh, brutal, and has some hardcore racism, but the message is how racism is a failed philosophy and that different people, with different talents, working together is far more humane and productive for a society.

Simply a well done movie, relax and enjoy, unless your into being offended...

It's a movie showing how someone is drawn to the ideology and how some find redemption and leave it.

I thought it was a good example that the real world isn’t nice and that the past can follow you and to also test resolve.

Is the actions of one gangster that you fought against representative of an entire race?

Back