All Time GOAT poll

I dont think Ive ever heard someone argue that getting subbed means you cant be GOAT.

Lol at "as per Sherdog"

It's a non-sentient website with a bunch of different people's opinions on it, there is no consensus.

The rules as I have heard them.
No one that has not fought in the UFC can be goat.
No one that tapped to strikes can be goat.
No one that lost by a sub can be goat.
No one that tested positive can be goat.
No one that fought cans can be goat.
No one that fought smart can be goat.
Anyone with a weaker resume than Jake Shields is far from goat.
So who the fuck is the goat if we abide by all the sherdog rules? Maybe Phillip Miller can get by the most of these rules?
Looks like DC fits the bill.

Chael Sonnen. Undefeated, Undisputed. Fits the bill.

I tried to do something like this before with fights but it didn't really gain any traction at the time, but perhaps now there's fuck all else to do it will, or perhaps it's just another one of my shitty ideas.

Anyway, the idea is everyone sends me a list of their top 10 picks for the GOAT. I will then collate the answers and assign points and turn it into a big list which I will then present as a countdown to see who the true Sherdog GOAT is. I won't just bang the list out all in one go, I'll try and count down about 10 a day from maybe 100 fighters depending on how many people vote to build up a bit of suspense. I'll also try and include blurbs, records, fights to watch, key wins etc in the countdown.

Points would be assigned as such.

1. 10 points
2. 9 points
3. 8 points
4. 7 points
5. 6 points
6. 5 points
7. 4 points
8. 3 points
9. 2 points
10. 1 point

This isn't UFC exclusive, so vote for Fedor, Sakuraba, Vovchanchyn or whoever if you like.

I'll give people until 7am GMT on Wednesday 8th April to vote. Once you send me a ballot it cannot be amended as I'm going to try and collate them as I go so if I get a lot of ballots (which hopefully I do) I can get to the actual countdown ASAP.

Send me votes via PM, but then put a post in the thread maybe to say you've sent one so people can get an idea of how many people are voting. (though I can do that anyway).

When doing the countdown I'll also list everyone's #1 votes in the thread so we're all accountable.

Yeah, lets see how this goes.<6>

Last edited:
1-10: Fedor
11: GSP
12: Jones
13: DC
14: Anderoid
15: Aldo

1. Fedor 15 points
2. Georges 12 points
3. Aldo 10 points
4. Demetrious 7 points
5. Silva 6 points
6. Jones 5 points
7. Hughes 4 points
8. Frankie 3 points
9. Khabib 2 points
10. DC 1 point

The question is so subjective that we will never have a clear answer. What makes someone the GOAT? Fighting record? Title defenses? Most Finishes? It’s different for everybody. I respect your determination but I think your beating a dead horse with this one.

That's for the individual voter to decide I guess.

@Hellowhosthat I'm not ok with the point system. Nobody does it like that.

1st place should be 10 points, and last place 1 point. Just like the Ballon d'Or.

<PlusJuan>

I mean that's a pretty good measure of what sherdoggers think. They're wrong, because it's Silva. But that's the consensus right there.

I just think it'd be interesting to see if it's any different this way.

I'm in Dana 249 mode on this.

I mean that's a pretty good measure of what sherdoggers think. They're wrong, because it's Silva.

305595.jpg

Back