All Time GOAT poll

I think Jones is p4p GOAT even though I dont like him, that is assuming he dosnt lose before he retires. If he does take a few losses than I would rank Fedor as the GOAT.

Anderson Silva 8.8%...
Not even close to being the GOAT.
Must be a conspiracy

Do you think the main reason most people who consider GSP the UFC GOAT is that Anderson and Jones roided?

It seems like GSP is considered the UFC GOAT, not because of his own merits, but because what others did outside the cage.

GSP's title reign was from 2007 to 2013, and yet he was overshadowed almost every year by Anderson Silva and later by Jon Jones. GSP was only clearly the best UFC fighter in 2009. That's only 1 year out of 6 years.

Kinda reminds me of DC being the LHW champion. Everybody knew he wasn't the best fighter, but since Jones failed his drug test, he got the LHW belt. The way I see it, people went like: "OK, Anderson and Jones were clearly the best, but they got busted. Lets see who's further down the list".
"Oh it's GSP".

Such reasoning seems a bit weird since GSP only had 1 fight under USADA, in which he didn't exactly look like a world beater. History has proven that roiders can test clean for at least 1 fight. Both Anderson and Jones have tested clean under USADA before, so 1 fight hardly proves anything.

Furthermore, being fair and honest seems like a weird argument to favor GSP, since he has a history of greasing with vaseline, which, just like steroids, could have been a factor to win fights. And despite being very vocal about fighters getting drug tested, he was acting very shady when WADA was about test him for his fight vs. Hendricks; asking all kinds of weird questions, like whether they would test him for HGH and other banned substances. Something which even the NSAC director found odd.

Roids or not, I can't think of another sport where a GOAT wasn't clearly the most dominant of his era, and was instead overshadowed by others. In fact, GOAT's often overshadow proven steroid users, which makes them even greater.

Is GSP the consolation UFC GOAT?

Last edited:
Best UFC fighter per year during GSP's title reign IMHO:

2006:
Anderson destroys Franklin and wins the MW belt. GSP barely beats BJ and then beats Hughes to win the WW belt. Close one. But Anderson didn't arguably lose a fight and looked more dominant.
Winner: Anderson

2007: GSP got tapped by Serra. Anderson beat Rich Franklin for the 2nd time.

2008: Anderson beats Henderson, moves up to LHW and wins. GSP finishes Serra (who was unranked before fighting GSP) and decisions Fitch. Anderson's wins were clearly better.
Winner: Anderson.

2009: Anderson has a boring decision over Leites, but later brutalizes a top 5 LHW. GSP TKO's former LW in BJ Penn (last finish of his title reign) and decisions Alves. Anderson moved up and had the most impressive win.

2010: Anderson decisions Maia and barely beats Sonnen. GSP decisions Hardy and Koscheck. GSP's wins were more dominant.
Winner: GSP

2011: GSP decisions Jake Shields. Anderson KO's Vitor and Okami. Jon Jones destroys Bader, Shogun, Rampage and Machida. There is no doubt who was the best.
Winner: Jon Jones

2012: GSP decisions Condit. Anderson finishes Sonnen and Bonnar at LHW. Jones beats Rashad and Vitor. It's a close one between Anderson and Jones, but Rashad was the highest quality win.
Winner: Jon Jones.

2013: GSP decisions Nick Diaz and arguably loses a decision to Hendricks. Anderson gets KO'd by Weidman. Jones finishes Sonnen and barely beats Gustafsson. It's close between Jon and GSP, but I think Jon's win over Gustafsson was clearer than GSP's win over Hendricks.

Last edited:
Best UFC fighter per year in the UFC IMHO:

2006:
Anderson destroys Franklin and wins the MW belt. GSP barely beats BJ and then beats Hughes to win the WW belt. Close one. But Anderson didn't arguably lose a fight and looked more dominant.

2007: GSP got tapped by Serra. Anderson beat Rich Franklin for the 2nd time.

2008: Anderson beats Henderson, moves up to LHW and wins. GSP finishes Serra (who was unranked before fighting GSP) and decisions Fitch. Anderson's wins were clearly better.

2009: Anderson has a boring decision over Leites, but later brutalizes a top 5 LHW. GSP TKO's former LW in BJ Penn (last finish of his title reign) and decisions Alves. Anderson moved up and had the most impressive win.

2010: Anderson decisions Maia and barely beats Sonnen. GSP decisions Hardy and Koscheck. GSP's wins were more dominant.

2011: GSP decisions Jake Shields. Anderson KO's Vitor and Okami. Jon Jones destroys Bader, Shogun, Rampage and Machida. There is no doubt who was the best.
Winner: Jon Jones

2012: GSP decisions Condit. Anderson finishes Sonnen and Bonnar at LHW. Jones beats Rashad and Vitor. It's a close one between Anderson and Jones, but Rashad was the highest quality win.

2013: GSP decisions Nick Diaz and arguably loses a decision to Hendricks. Anderson gets KO'd by Weidman. Jones finishes Sonnen and barely beats Gustafsson. It's close between Jon and GSP, but I think Jon's win over Gustafsson was clearer than GSP's win over Hendricks.
Dan Hardy is one of the weakest title challengers ever.
Maia might be the best BJJ fighter in the history of MMA and AS's win over Chael is the mma equivalent of Doug Flutie's hail Mary against Miami or the Music City miracle.

2010 is still Andersen.

I'd say so

No unbiased fan would ever consider GSP the goat by his in-cage accomplishments. Anderson and Jones far outshine him in skills and dominance.

That's why drug tests are brought up in every single goat discussion, because GSP hasn't done enough in the octagon to be awarded the goat distinction, so his biased fans turn to outside, mostly irrelevant factors

I kind of soured a little bit on GSP when he went after Bisping
Just seems like he took the easiest path, and I always thought he was cute concerned about his legacy which meant he ended up almost picking fights he knew he could win or playing it safe

that’s why he’s called grease safe pierre. Wouldn’t have handled penn that way without it

Anything can look worse if it's obviously down played.

And why is the premise based on a 2 vs. 1?

Look at the stickied GOAT thread.

GSP is largely ranked number 1 on here.

You can make a comparison between 3 and GSP would still be below Jones and Silva. I think there's little doubt that GSP was the least impressive of the 3.

I know GSP won the last GOAT poll. I'm just asking whether Jones and Anderson popping was a factor.

No doubt!! Anderson and Jones ahead in the UFC goat race. I've always had GSP as 3rd.

And those fan polls are popularity contests. GSP just has many fans while Jones has many people that dislike him.

You can make a comparison between 3 and GSP would still be below Jones and Silva. I think there's little doubt that GSP was the least impressive of the 3.

I know GSP won the last GOAT poll. I'm just asking whether Jones and Anderson popping was a factor.

2006: Anderson beats Ace to capture MW Championship. GSP beats Penn and Hughes to capture Championsip.

Winner: GSP.

2007: Anderson beats Marquardt and Franklin. GSP loses to Serra and beats Hughes and Kos.

2008: Anderson beats Hendo. GSP beats Fitch and Serra.

winner: GSP.

2009: Anderson beats Thales and Forrest. GSP beats BJ and Alves.

Winner: depends if you rank Forrest higher than BJ. I don't as BJ was ranked number 1. GSP.

2010: Anderson beats Damian and Shael. GSP beats Hardy and Kos.

2011: Anderson beats Vitor and Yushin. GSP beats Shields.

2012: Anderson beats Shael and Bonnar. GSP beats Condit.

2013: Anderson loses twice to the Chris Weiner. GSP beats DIaz and Hendricks.

2017: Anderson beats Brunson. GSP beats Bisping to capture MW belt.

Side note: Anderson popping is a factor for an individual to consider. Something else to consider is that he has been racking up a ton of losses outside of what we've said.

2006: Anderson beats Ace to capture MW Championship. GSP beats Penn and Hughes to capture Championsip.

2007: Anderson beats Marquardt and Franklin. GSP loses to Serra and beats Hughes and Kos.

2008: Anderson beats Hendo. GSP beats Fitch and Serra.

winner: GSP.

2009: Anderson beats Thales and Forrest. GSP beats BJ and Alves.

Winner: depends if you rank Forrest higher than BJ. I don't as BJ was ranked number 1. GSP.

2010: Anderson beats Damian and Shael. GSP beats Hardy and Kos.

2011: Anderson beats Vitor and Yushin. GSP beats Shields.

2012: Anderson beats Shael and Bonnar. GSP beats Condit.

2013: Anderson loses twice to the Chris Weiner. GSP beats DIaz and Hendricks.

2017: Anderson beats Brunson. GSP beats Bisping to capture MW belt.

Side note: Anderson popping is a factor for an individual to consider. Something else to consider is that he has been racking up a ton of losses outside of what we've said.

I don't see how Serra and Fitch can be better than finishing Hendo.

GSP's title reign was from 2007 to 2013, and yet he was overshadowed almost every year by Anderson Silva and later by Jon Jones. GSP was only clearly the best UFC fighter in 2009. That's only 1 year out of 6 years.

And how do you support this argument other than NOT being a GSP fan? The Cash Register certainly disagrees as GSP was, and still would be today a bigger star than both. And Silva's legacy has taken a hit because of hanging so damn long more than steroids. That is one thing GSP has over other GOAT candidates. We did NOT see GSP hang around for years on end, taking 1 bad beating after another..

I don't see how Serra and Fitch can be better than finishing Hendo.

Hendo was ranked top 5 (somewhere around 3 to 5).

Besides being Champion, Serra wasn't a big deal. Fitch was as solid at number 2 as GSP was at number 1.

I think beating number 2 and a random is better than beating someone ranked about at number 4.

Maybe against Jon but not Anderson. Both Bones and Silva are roiders but Jon faced the absolute highest competition, I had GSP behind Jon before the PED's.

With Anderson his level of competition had always been a joke in comparison, so I never considered him as the GOAT at any point.

Back