All Time GOAT poll

I said GOAT from an entertainment/hype/fan opinion point of view. Yeah, everyone wanted to see Mirko fight because he could take someone's head off but he could also get KTFO himself. He had heart, was tough as hell.

I look at fighters in two ways:
#1-Results/Achievements/Skill
#2- Entertainment/Likeability

Hunt and CC are both GOATs under #2 but only Average to Good in #1.

I never saw anyone talking Mirko as GOAT of any kind other than left high-kicker...until you.

You look at fighters in some weird ways except the one that matters the most: their actual performaces. I mean the actual fights, not the W/L on paper.

Mirko's performances vs Fedor, Barnett, Herring, Aleks, Wand, Hunt, Igor, Fujita or Yoshida show a level of skill that could give just about any man of any weight from any time and especially back then big problems.

He was actually top ranked for a good amount of time in case you are the classic ratnerd who judge by numbers/stats/results instead of assessing the actual fights.

None of that is average to good. I personally think he is fringe top10 heavyweight of all time which considering the sport has already three decades is definitely much more than average of good, so definitely GREAT going by the last shertard BAD-AVERAGE-GREAT standards you just improvised

Last edited:
I dont think most good amateurs today beat Jack Johnson, especially among 200lbers as him and under the rule-set from back then

Fair point about the rule-set of the time. Training and nutrition is a lot better now though, and later fighters build on what he did. Newton's comment that he saw further because he stood on the shoulders' of giants applies to sport as well -- the next generation of athletes builds on the techniques and training of previous greats.

Yeah he got whooped by Gonzaga and Kongo.. If I said that to any of the Pride fandom in 2007 they laugh in my face..
(Sigh) I remember the Gonzaga fight vividly: I was SO SURE that CC would just walk through him. The KO and it's eternal replay took years off my life <45>

Yeah, while to an extent I can see both sides, I’ve been ridiculed more than once for having an older account.

like, experiencing MMA longer and being able to contextualize certain aspects makes me “living in the past”.

It doesn’t mean that long time fandom can’t blind you with nostalgia, Because we see old posters who are clearly delusional, but that’s never when my join date is brought up. It’s almost always in a derogatory sense.

“You don’t think Khabib is a bigger star than Ronda Rousey or Brock Lesnar, old man?!?!?!? He HaS mOrE iNsTaGrAm followers!”

"You mean, people who peak during contemporary social media have more presence there?

He’s never broken a million without a dance partner, who coincidently, is the biggest MMA star ever. I guess Conor McGregor is a bigger star than Mike Tyson since he drew 4 Million PPV buys with Mayweather."

Haha! Amen, brother. I had a 2009 join date for years (on an old account that got axed from neglect), and it was only brought up by insolent pups who couldn't conceive of a time before Facebook or Instagram's "instant 24/7 access" and followers.
At any rate, you make great points that teens and lots of 20-somethings literally can't fathom: that "popularity" went by different metrics in the past.

Got me.... :)
tumblr_orgexyIQoI1tulv1do5_r1_500.gifv

St Pierre. Cleaned out his division several times... Then moved up and beat a guy with the most UFC wins to be 185 champ... Champ-Champ... GOAT... #Hespect

Cant go st.pierre. i think he legit lost to hendricks. Okay fine. Also his competition didnt age well. To me i have it as Jon Jones. Although i think he lost to reyes..

I kind of soured a little bit on GSP when he went after Bisping
Just seems like he took the easiest path, and I always thought he was cute concerned about his legacy which meant he ended up almost picking fights he knew he could win or playing it safe

This.

Waited for the weakest champ. Came back. Won.

Ran before facing Romero or any other top contenders.

Weak.

As of 8/16/2020:
1. Jones
2. Anderson
3. Fedor
4. Hendo
5. Big Nog
6. GSP
7. Shogun
8. Aldo

Cant go st.pierre. i think he legit lost to hendricks. Okay fine. Also his competition didnt age well. To me i have it as Jon Jones. Although i think he lost to reyes..

Tell me what competition that ages well at WW, LW and FW, the most stacked divisions. It's not like the small pond HW and LHW where 40 years old are top 10 for 15 years. You think they're ranked for so long because they're that good? Thats cute.

Cool.

The guy who is now about to ruin yet another potential legendary fight because he thinks Habib is too big.

Yeah.

Back