All Meat Diet: Thoughts?

no, i dont do diets, and i certainly dont look to celebrities for life choices

There was a thread here a while ago and it didn't get well for the only carnivore sherdogger.

Rogan said he was basically going to shit on himself at anytime (not the first one I hear saying that you have no control over your shit) and Jordan Peterson is a complete moron.
i agree for most people a carnivore diet is probably extremely unhealthy.

but why do you say jordan peterson is a moron? i dont honestly know much about him; just some drama involving him and pronouns, and i listened to half of rogans podcast with him. seemed quite intelligent to me.

Jordan Peterson and recently Joe Rogan both are now on the newly famed "All meat diet." Rogan recently stated he is feeling well and healthy and is 2-3 weeks in I believe (fact check if you want, its below 2 months).

Anyway, seeing if you guys have any thoughts on this. Ive been reading a few articles but always prefer testimonials. Any of you tried it out?

lol @ ‘newly famed’ I love how nothing existed before celebs did it or the internet talked about it.

5x5 workouts was another one that had me rolling too some years back..

.. anyhoo on topic.. I’ve done it before (years ago tho so not recently). Like any other diet I think the results are going to vary per person. I actually used it to try and add weight when I was struggling to put/keep weight on (I’m tall and slender) and had some success with it. I’ve heard recently people are using it to drop weight tho.. I will say I looked pretty lean while I was on it but I was able to put some mass on too. I didn’t get the sheets from it either (for whatever that’s worth to you).

My final take is this -it’s not a perma diet, it’s something you should only do for 8-12 weeks. I also think you’d get better results if you mixed veggies into the diet as well (like broccoli for example). Humans are omnivores after all.

Better add some Benefiber to your drink a couple times per day, or you'll think you're trying to pass a watermelon every time you take a shit.

Anyone else drink a nice cold bottle of citrate of magnesia just for shits and giggles?

Couple four tabs of Swiss Kriss with that?

Tremendous.

<{you!}>

I’m doing it for a month. Today is day one. If I remember I’ll update here after.

Jordan Peterson and recently Joe Rogan both are now on the newly famed "All meat diet." Rogan recently stated he is feeling well and healthy and is 2-3 weeks in I believe (fact check if you want, its below 2 months).

Anyway, seeing if you guys have any thoughts on this. Ive been reading a few articles but always prefer testimonials. Any of you tried it out?

https://hvmn.com/podcast/episode-124-dr-paul-saladino

I'll never understand why evidence-based diets just aren't sexy enough for the mainstream. The DASH or the Mediterranean diets are the ones people should obsess over, but they're too hard, I guess:
2020 Best Diets Overall | U.S. News & World Report: Best Diets for Healthy Eating

Or you can simplify with rules/guidelines:
https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/150350359/
Most of these diets tend to be heavily plant-based, but they also always include animal proteins. Always.

For those interested in low-carb diets that have gained favor over the past few decades, anecdotal or otherwise, but particularly in the fitness communities, it's probably wise to avoid the reckless, imbalanced versions that tend violate a lot of long established and well substantiated concerns (ex. yes, cholesterol and red meat get linked to increased risk for myriad health problems....over and over and over and over and over). Many Keto/Atkins diets have a bunch of red flags. I think there are some praiseworthy fundamental principles to diets like the Paleo, despite that it's philosophically founded on absurd "caveman" logic, when it emphasizes avoiding foods that either present gastrointestinal distress or are allergenic to a higher number of people, but you can get ridiculous with this approach really quickly. This is how the gluten-free nonsense takes hold. My issue is that the keto cult acts like these were the only diets that figured high proportions of sugar were bad for you when that's been a staple directive to just about every research-based diet since the 1950's.

Of the more militant, low-carb diets, in principle, I favor the Pegan (Paleo-Vegan) above them all. Yeah, MEAT!!! Great. Keep it lean. But mostly more veggies. Always more veggies.

Generally boring, mostly uncontroversial recommendations:
  • Avoid sugar, especially refined sugar; honey is the healthiest of all sugars
  • Consume large quantities of vegetables; cooked and raw alike-- vegetables should take up 2/3 of your plate Mr. Hardcore keto-guy
  • Dark leafy greens and cruciferous vegetables are the heart and soul of nutrition (ex. spinach, kale, broccoli, asparagus, cabbage, cauliflower)
  • Green superfoods supplements with kelp, spirulina, chlorella, and barley grass, for example, are expensive in most places, but yeah, knock yourself out
  • Orange is another critical category: for beta-carotene (i.e carrots, squash, pumpkin, collards, sweet potatoes, yams)
  • Whole grains in moderation, but if you're damn hungry, they're better than another helping of meat or just about anything else that isn't a vegetable to get you there; the lower the glycemic index, and the higher the micronutrient content, the better
  • Animal proteins like low-mercury fish, oysters, poultry, uncured pork; elk/venison, lamb, goat are ideal in (relative) moderation; avoid nitrates and smoked meats; monitor fat contents
  • Grass-fed beef is not the prime flavor, but it's healthier than grain-fed beef; limit intake of red meat generally
  • If boosting or supplementing protein intake with powders favor whole milk protein isolates-- avoid soy
  • Eggs are good, but probably best limited; go crazy with the egg whites
  • Fruits are good, but probably best limited, especially those that are more starchy or high in sugar
  • Avoid legumes, especially if you're intolerant
  • Tree nuts, seeds, and avocados are other healthy sources of fats besides animal sources; best in moderation
  • Oils are fine in moderation; extra virgin olive oil is king, but canola oil is great-- don't listen to the hate
  • Avoid dairy if you're lactose intolerant; limit it if you are not, and focus intake on high-protein, cultured foods like Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, sour cream, kefir, etc.
  • It's always safest to avoid allergenic foods like gluten, unfermented soy, and peanuts, for example, if unsure, but if you assess that you are not sensitive, don't worry about it (gassiness is a great tell)
  • Hot peppers, extra dark chocolate, and low-sugar citrus (ex. lemons, limes, grapefruit, pomelos) are foods worth noting apart from the superfoods or others above like broccoli, for example, that either present an alkaline load, or help combat free radicals
  • Herbs are wonderful, and there is a holy trinity for health (garlic, turmeric, ginger)
  • Unsweetened green tea is the best beverage that isn't water; go crazy
  • Coconut water is fantastic while exercising; Gatorade watered down from a 1:2-1:4 ratio is cheaper (add a tiny bit of protein powder if you like)
  • Mixed indicators on coffee, but probably best to limit or avoid
  • Alcohol is never a positive for health-- don't believe the hype about 1-2 glasses a day; craft beers and red wines, if very limited like this, are the most acceptable
  • Artificial sweeteners are probably best avoided, but they're not worse than sugar if not in moderation, so maintain perspective; Aspartame is recommended above the others synthesized options, but the natural Stevia Rebaudioside-A is probably better than any
  • Watch your salt if you're inactive, old, have hypertension, or some other vascular condition; if not you probably don't have to worry about it too much unless your doctor yells at you
  • Foods with higher volumes + lower calories are always a good choice; our animal nature is to eat more than is healthy for us if unchecked (don't sleep on soup!)

And to any who want to play scholar-internet-hipster by demeaning the Mayo Clinic, John Hopkins, or the National Institute of Health...go get your Ph.D./M.D. Faceroll the shills & bureaucrats in their white coats.

I'll be here: ready to quote and parrot you.

Another old big picture post on the topic:
https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/143993979/

I'll never understand why evidence-based diets just aren't sexy enough for the mainstream. The DASH or the Mediterranean diets are the ones people should obsess over, but they're too hard, I guess:
2020 Best Diets Overall | U.S. News & World Report: Best Diets for Healthy Eating

Or you can simplify with rules/guidelines:
https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/150350359/

Another old big picture post on the topic:
https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/143993979/

Good post. Thanks.

Seems you’ve done hours and hours of research.

Last edited:
Nitrates and nitrites are added to processed meats to inhibit the growth of the (potentially fatal) bacteria responsible for botulism. However they react with amine compounds in the body to create nitrosamines. Nitrosamines are a carcinogenic which sharply increases the risk of cancers of the digestive system.

Red meat's heme iron also produces a lot of nitrosamines. Nitrosamine production can be slowed by Vitamin C, polyphenols, vitamin E, green tea, and other anti-cancer compounds found in plants... plants our buddy isn't eating.

Last food picture Joe posted was of Korean BBQ at a restaurant. BBQ produces massive quantities of acrylamide (the stuff that makes fried foods bad), which was shown to be a potent carcinogen in rats.

So he's been eating bacon, red meat, and BBQ that we know of... And basically eating no plants, which is what contains basically everything that's antioxidant and anticancer.

Doesn't Peterson do it becausr of food allergies?

There was a thread here a while ago and it didn't get well for the only carnivore sherdogger.

Rogan said he was basically going to shit on himself at anytime (not the first one I hear saying that you have no control over your shit) and Jordan Peterson is a complete moron.

I know it's not the topic but why do you think Peterson is a moron?

Back