• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Aljo confirms he was not out

It was a tough call. Aljo was trying really hard not to get stopped, but he took nasty shots too.

You can tell Aljo was aware enough to know he couldn't shell up. The ref would stop it.
So he scrambles and now he's in bad situations, and Sean capitalized again.

I wasn't mad at the stoppage. But I didn't love it.
I sympathize with the ref here.

show me a career ending late stoppage in the UFCs history. (or other big org)

Frank shamrock slamming Igor ..broke his collar bone...koed him and the dude never fought again..

Ur mistaken if you think people arent playing for keeps in there with some of these finishes...

There's probably hundreds of cases regionally of late stoppages leading to people not fighting anymore ..

The UFC refs do air on the side of caution for the most part but at the same time the flip side isnt worth the risk

It was quite clear that the referee had orders to stop the fight in Malley's favor first chance he got.
Then why did he let Al get bombed on like 15-20 times? He could've easily stopped the fight right away after Aljo lost consciousness.. instead, he let him keep getting hit and regain consciousness and fighting through getting hit a bunch more times

Watching it in slow motion, a lot of O'Malley's ground and pound wasn't landing how I thought it did initially. He missed completely or caught Sterling on the chest mostly. The shot right before Sterling turns on his stomach did land flush though, and I can see how the ref would want to step in after seeing a barrage of ground and pound end like that. So I can understand the stoppage, even if it felt a little premature.

And lol at Aljo comparing girl punches to sugar Sean's

he got literally face planted, and then bombed on

0AA547F4-0310-4BE3-88E7-9CAB03B2F200.jpeg

The moment before he rolled face down and took another unanswered, unblocked shot to the face. The stoppage was fine.

Those who claim bad stoppage have not been punched in the face before. It hurts lol.

That's why fighters usually have a higher pain threshold than the average person, wtf? That's like saying a diver isn't able to stay underwater for 20 minutes just because you aren't conditioned to. Fighters are conditioned to take punches for $$$.

Aljo himself said he doesn't agree with the stoppage, guess it didn't hurt enough?

It always interests me to see everyone jump on hardline stances to a thing like this.

Check this out. It will help some of you if you aren't too stubborn to accept it:

There is a GRAY AREA within which either decision is acceptable and within the referees split second judgement.

This was in that range.

If he let it go the next few seconds either Aljo survives or gets hurt again and he stops it then, and that would have been OK.

Or

He stops it when he did, Aljo had been dropped and eaten a few decent followups (many many fights have been stopped on the knockdown alone) he seems to be turning his back (though he seemed to be trying to get up) and turning your back on an attacking opponent is frowned upon.

Either way was within the RANGE of where it falls to the judges discretion.

It was neither a perfect stoppage nor a horrible stoppage. It was an OK stoppage.

Fights are chaotic.
It ain't always gonna be perfect.

Ref made a call and thats what it is.

I could see the argument it was a tad early (and I’m sure he feels that way) but the fact of the matter is you can’t put yourself in that position). Plus his head was getting bounced off the mat.

If it goes a second too long the MMA community (especially the president) roast the absolute shit out of a red.
If you're in a poor position whilst getting punched in the head, you are obviously there for a reason; once you roll away from the punches and cover up it's pretty well known that you are screwed.

A situation where both Aljo and the ref are correct.

A lot of TKOs exist in a grey area because by default they are discretionary. Sometimes obvious, sometimes not.

Where you rank this one is up to you but he doesn’t look out which is what he’s saying. Does the ref have every right to stop it? Of course he does.

That's why fighters usually have a higher pain threshold than the average person, wtf? That's like saying a diver isn't able to stay underwater for 20 minutes just because you aren't conditioned to. Fighters are conditioned to take punches for $$$.

Aljo himself said he doesn't agree with the stoppage, guess it didn't hurt enough?
LMAO Of course he’s not gonna agree. He lost his belt to tekashi omalley. Dude was defenseless and hopeless.

He can say whatever he wants, and it doesn't matter if he was "out" or not. He was getting blasted and offered no resistance to around ten totally unanswered blows. He didn't need to be out, that's why it's called a technical knockout
All of that said can you name a championship fight in which a champion was ruled KO’ed and wasn’t out in a similar or worse fashion?

I know people don't like Sterling but he's not saying anything crazy here.

Back