Alexander Volkanovski Doesn’t Want To Test Islam Makhachev’s Gas Tank

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
upload_2023-10-16_14-43-44.png

Alexander Volkanovski plans on knocking Islam Makhachev out in their rematch at UFC 294 in Abu Dhabi on Saturday.

The UFC featherweight king suffered his lone promotional loss against Makhachev at UFC 284 in February in a closely contested decision that many believe could have gone either way. After going toe-to-toe against Makhachev for twenty-five minutes, Volkanovksi claims he has been almost impossible to take down or be submitted inside the gym.

The Australian believes he’ll be a tougher puzzle for Makhachev to solve as he steps up for his second double-champ bid on 10 days’ notice. While the fight is on short notice, it came as a sort of relief for Volkanovski, who has already fought twice this year and was getting impatient to get back in the Octagon. Volkanovski is focused on finishing the fight early and doesn’t plan on testing his opponent’s gas tank even though he claims he could.

Continue Reading
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/A...Want-To-Test-Islam-Makhachevs-Gas-Tank-191407

He honestly needs to go for broke. He's probably got 2 rounds in him. You don't keep MMA cardio. Especially not 5 rounds.

I think Volk is smart enough to immediately charge and start looking for the KO. If he doesn't get it done within 2, he's probably just going to have to settle for a moral victory and try to survive the next 3 rounds.

He honestly needs to go for broke. He's probably got 2 rounds in him. You don't keep MMA cardio. Especially not 5 rounds.

I think Volk is smart enough to immediately charge and start looking for the KO. If he doesn't get it done within 2, he's probably just going to have to settle for a moral victory and try to survive the next 3 rounds.
The problem with going for broke is Islam is a great counter puncher and take down artist. It'll play right into his strengths. Tough puzzle to solve.

Volk has the best cardio in the sport though. He's not normal

I want Volk to win but Islam is a bad matchup for him. I really dont see an improved Islam losing. Islam has all advatages. Speed goes to Volk though.

Joke's on him Islam went electric
78403a35e1e0c401189a590403729dd3.jpg

Well yeah. Islam was perfectly fine with sitting back and counter-striking in their last fight. I can see Volk attempting to stay in the inside instead of exchanging from range

Volks plan of Feint to blitz was what lead to his loss IMO

He has to stay in Islam's face with jabs and straights to eliminate the counter striking ability and he has to win the clinch exchanges. Islam is a sniper at range and great in the clinch and not applying a steady pressure but instead choosing to blitz allowed Islam to be comfortable on the feet allowing him to reset for counters on the blitzes.

Too much is being made of volk lacking gas this time. You don't just go from best gas tank to FKL status. His tank will still be good enough, he just wants to KO Islam because he believes he gave him too much respect the first time. He's right.

Really interested in seeing the strength difference this time, i truly think the 12 hr shorter rehydration window was a huge factor in Islam's lack of grappling dominance in their first fight. We shall see.

You don't think volk just doing 6 weeks of rehab on his arm might be a bigger factor here? Not to mention him having no time to plan for a move to LW?

Last edited:
Back