Aldo vs Edgar, who has the edge?

While I agree with you too an extant, Frankie being the smaller guy, he has to work a lot harder to bully guys like Ben around. That will wear you down, and the bigger guy will usually have more power as well. And as for other guys not being touted as the best because they've won close decisions, who are you referring to? Because I don't think there is anyone with a resume comparable to Frankie's in any other division. He is quite a unique fighter, for sure.

But I can tell I won't change your mind, it's obvious you don't like Frankie for whatever reason and we'll leave it at that. No one says you have to like every MMA fighter, but shit give the guy some respect.

you're right, there isn't anyone in any other division who's had a similar career/resume as edgar because the lw division is so different from the rest. the point that i'm making is that guys in other divisions don't usually get praised when they lose close decisions the way edgar did vs henderson.

i see the point you make about edgar having to exert more energy in order to take henderson done, however his size, or lack thereof also helps him in terms of speed, and elusiveness. he's usually able to slip away from his opponents more easily than a larger slower lw, and it's extremely difficult to hold him down if he gets taken down.

you're right, i'm not an edgar fan, but i'm not calling him rubbish. i just don't agree that he's as great as some people try to make him out to be (best lw, top 10 p4p, one of the all time greats, etc.)

While I agree with you too an extant, Frankie being the smaller guy, he has to work a lot harder to bully guys like Ben around. That will wear you down, and the bigger guy will usually have more power as well. And as for other guys not being touted as the best because they've won close decisions, who are you referring to? Because I don't think there is anyone with a resume comparable to Frankie's in any other division. He is quite a unique fighter, for sure.

But I can tell I won't change your mind, it's obvious you don't like Frankie for whatever reason and we'll leave it at that. No one says you have to like every MMA fighter, but shit give the guy some respect.

I wish you and people like you would post more on this forum. it is realy refreshing to read opinions like this.

WTF is a reverse uppercut?

An uppercut that you throw with the rear hand, like Maynard used on Edgar and like the one Aldo dropped Manny Gamburyan with in WEC

Aldo+GIF+Gamburyan+2.gif

In karate a reverse punch is one with the rear hand, like Machida on Bader.

6D9v9.gif%20machida

Hence a reverse uppercut is one thrown with the rear hand.

Glad I wasn't the only one :icon_lol:

Going off a google search I think it means a uppercut with the power hand, as opposed to a lead hand uppercut, but I'm still not 100%

Glad I wasn't the only one :icon_lol:

Going off a google search I think it means a uppercut with the power hand, as opposed to a lead hand uppercut, but I'm still not 100%

Up two posts above you...

Okay fair enough, I don't think he's an all time great either. He's not better than the best of his division, but he has a slight edge. It's not like Jones, GSP, or Anderson, who're leagues ahead of the best at their respective weight classes. But that's what I think makes him great and makes him appealing to a lot of his fans. He's a hard worker who is small for his division, yet he finds a way to get it done and defies the odds in every fight he is in.

And I think you're also correct that trading the size for speed advantage does even things out.

As far as close decisions, it's strange because in each of his first fights with Penn and Benson (2nd w/ Maynard), they were much more even. In the rematch Frankie always came in better than the first time and took it to them (IMO).

in his second fight with penn, bj looked like he didn't want to be in there the entire time. good for edgar on capitalizing, but i don't think we saw the best that bj had to offer there.

the third fight vs maynard was playing out very much the same as their second, except that edgar managed to catch gray in the fourth. i didn't see any sort of huge improvement before that though.

his rematch vs henderson was very underwhelming by both of them. they looked very tentative and there was very little engaging going on throughout most of the fight. that's why it's absurd for people to claim it was robbery. henderson did very little, but so did edgar. when it's that close, it could go either way.

Edgar has better wrestling, chin, recovery, and boxing than Mendes. If he can mix it up I think he'll win a dominating decision especially in the 4th and 5th round.

If Aldo connects with a shot remotely similar to the Mendes shot, Edgar's third straight loss is assured, since you brought up Edgar's superiority to Chad.

Can't be bothered to worry about the first fight...but Edgar will do better in the immediate rematch.

I have to disagree with you on that one - Edgar's wrestling has been much more proven in MMA.

Edgar has taken down the likes of Gray Maynard, BJ Penn and Ben Henderson, whereas Mendes has never taken down anyone with particularly good takedown defence.

Edgar was also taken down by all those fighters you mention.
So, whats your point?

I have to disagree with you on that one - Edgar's wrestling has been much more proven in MMA.

Edgar has taken down the likes of Gray Maynard, BJ Penn and Ben Henderson, whereas Mendes has never taken down anyone with particularly good takedown defence.

how much did edgar do with those td's? the judging criteria is "effective grappling", not inconsequential.

An uppercut thrown off the hand of the trailing foot, as opposed to a lead uppercut throw off the hand of the leading foot.

Here's Aldo throwing a reverse uppercut.

Jose_Aldo_vs._Mark_Hominick_1.gif

I think Aldo does surprisingly because of his style. Legs kicks are hard for Edgar to deal with and Aldo does those very well. However, I wouldn't be surprised if a FW Edgar is able to land takedowns far easier than LW

What's funny is that that was such a glaring weakness in the second and third Maynard fights, I expect Edgar will have devoted a huge amount of time to covering up that one particular weakness. Thus I am expecting Aldo to have to utilize a more creative punch to score the KO. Probably some out of this world shit that we don't even have a name for yet. But yeah, Aldo by KO nonetheless.

The thing about it is that Edgar is looking for the take down, so he's constantly doing the things that you have to do to threaten the takedown: Lower your head and move your hands off your center line. It's just kind of part of doing those things that leaves you open for something like the uppercut. I'd say he'll train to defend it, but once he gets his blood up it wouldn't surprise me to see him fall back into some old habits. And old habits like those will have you staring at the lights wondering what reeks of ammonia.

frankie.. the guy should be the champ at LW right now, he has better cardio, good chin/recovery, fast speed, and pretty good boxing i just dont see aldo landing his kicks or strikes on edgar at all, especially in a 5 round fight.

Edgar will be the new champ, and he should be a champ at 2 weight classes....

Frankly, Edgar lost the first fight with Penn; than he was finished seconds into Maynard/Edgar 2. Henderson easily handled Edgar in their initial fight.
Maynard was a subject of ridicule by people like you prior to Maynard/Edgar 2&3; and what happened.
You are flattering Edgar far too much.

I am with you TS. This is an exciting matchup between two of the world's best.

Looking back on the way that Henderson damaged Frankie with kicks makes me think Aldo has a shot of really affecting the course of the fight with this technique. Also, as tough as Edgar is, I can't see him being given the chance to recover if Aldo catches him early like Maynard was able to.

On the other hand, I think Frankie has the potential to use his wrestling early in the fight to wear Aldo out. If he can get to the championship rounds with the ability to stand, then Aldo may find himself in trouble with Edgar's tenancity and fitness.

Aldo's inactivity and injuries are a wild card too.

Basically, I have no idea who will take this one.
If it's a typically close Edgar fight, fought in the typically Edgar style, and it goes to the Cards, Edgar loses again.
If, however, he changes up his style to that which is Judged effective, Frankie has a chance.

i have a strong feeling Edgar's chin is going to be very shakey now, after getting blasted by Gray repeatedly and surviving, much like Wanderlei. Aldo might put him out.

Otherwise, Aldo via leg kicking.

I have to agree with a lot of you guys, I'm leaning towards Aldo myself. His kicks and that uppercut could spell trouble for Frankie. Anyone know Jose's reach compared to Frankie's off the top of their head?

Aldo needs to take this fight seriously and come to the cage in shape. If he is drained like he has been lately, Frankie could wear him down. I think he's put a little too much muscle on in the last two years.

Oh and for you Edgar haters, don't write Frankie off. This kid has been the underdog in almost everyone of his fights and he's pulled it off. I remember when the first fight with Bendo was approaching, people were saying things like, "Bendo by Murder", "Frankie is going to get killed", etc.

Yea Ben pulled off some controversial decisions but Frankie definitely stuck it to him. So quiet down and give this man some respect. Yea we know he beat your hero BJ Penn (love BJ by the way, thought he edged Edgar in Abu Dhabi).

If you thought Penn won, than why go on and on?
Edgar's serendipity ended with Ben/Edgar 1; and was reinforced at Ben/Edgar 2.
Edgar either changes his style or accepts a loss for being "ineffective", if going to the Judges.

Back