Aldo vs Edgar, who has the edge?

It's gonna be a great day for Frankie via better striking, cardio and wrestling. Aldo will be outclassed all the way to a 50-45 UD for " The Answer".

Edgar has a habit of starting slow, and is vulnerable to some punches that Aldo throws with a lot of power and precision (particularly the reverse uppercut). Aldo has no such problems starting slowly, and is a vicious finisher of hurt opponents. While much is made of Edgar's recovery, the opponents where he's best shown it are not guys known for finishing (namely Gray Maynard). Aldo has no such problems.

Aldo puts away Edgar inside the first frame.

What's funny is that that was such a glaring weakness in the second and third Maynard fights, I expect Edgar will have devoted a huge amount of time to covering up that one particular weakness. Thus I am expecting Aldo to have to utilize a more creative punch to score the KO. Probably some out of this world shit that we don't even have a name for yet. But yeah, Aldo by KO nonetheless.

Going with my heart, i got Edgar in this one.

I am with you TS. This is an exciting matchup between two of the world's best.

Looking back on the way that Henderson damaged Frankie with kicks makes me think Aldo has a shot of really affecting the course of the fight with this technique. Also, as tough as Edgar is, I can't see him being given the chance to recover if Aldo catches him early like Maynard was able to.

On the other hand, I think Frankie has the potential to use his wrestling early in the fight to wear Aldo out. If he can get to the championship rounds with the ability to stand, then Aldo may find himself in trouble with Edgar's tenancity and fitness.

Aldo's inactivity and injuries are a wild card too.

Basically, I have no idea who will take this one.

Aldo will immoblize Edgar with leg kicks, and even if Frankie manages to catch one of Aldo's kicks (unlikely considering how quick Aldo is with them and how well he times them), I think Aldo would be able to shrug of a TD attempt from Edgar.

Aldo also has excellent head movement and defense in general, and has excellent hands.

aldoheadmovement00.gif

0FfQE.gif

I think he'll hurt Frankie with a big body shot and finish him with GnP.

Last edited:
This fight shouldn't even be happening. Most ridiculous fight made out of the "ridiculous fights". Aldo takes it easy.

Edgar has better wrestling, chin, recovery, and boxing than Mendes. If he can mix it up I think he'll win a dominating decision especially in the 4th and 5th round.

he is not cain velasquez. edgar is a great fighter but he will never win via domination. also, aldo has better chin recovery boxing kickboxing and bjj than edgar/mendes.

he is not cain velasquez. edgar is a great fighter but he will never win via domination. also, aldo has better chin recovery boxing kickboxing and bjj than edgar/mendes.

Yeah, Penn II wasn't domination..:eek:

We haven't seen aldo fight in over a year. He's been dealing with injuries after injuries..

Well, yeah, that too. There's just so many unknowns in this fight to make a reasonable prediction imo

Aldo will slow Edgar's movements with leg kicks before a vicious TKO win for Scarface. We won't see championship rounds in this one.

its hard to call this fight. just going to have to wait and see.

that said i give the striking edge to aldo

Aldo has a way more diverse stand up game than Edgar and he will definetly have a size advantage over him. Edgar will also lack the speed advantage that he normally enjoys since he will be moving down to 145lb to face a guy like Aldo who is one of the most explosive strikers in the UFC.

Back