Aldo vs Edgar, who has the edge?

The thing about it is that Edgar is looking for the take down, so he's constantly doing the things that you have to do to threaten the takedown: Lower your head and move your hands off your center line. It's just kind of part of doing those things that leaves you open for something like the uppercut. I'd say he'll train to defend it, but once he gets his blood up it wouldn't surprise me to see him fall back into some old habits. And old habits like those will have you staring at the lights wondering what reeks of ammonia.

This is true, this is true lol. With aldo's superhuman timing, this is especially likely.

Aldo will leg kick the shit outta Edgar early and from there on it'll be hard for Edgar to capitalize on his strengths

I got Aldo by decision.

Frank is used to being the faster fighter in the cage. He won't be this time, and who knows how cutting weight for the first time in a while will affect him.

Jose's been off for a while, and Edgar never quits, so I expect this to be a competitive fight, but in the end it will look a good deal like Aldo-Faber.

I said I thought Penn won in Abu Dhabi, their first fight. And even if he did win, theres a case for Frankie winning as well. That fight, either way, needed a rematch. He definitely handled him the second time.
Why go on and on? Because of idiots like you who love to discredit guys who are fighting and beating the best in the world. If they weren't any good, they wouldn't be where they are. Your goal in posting in this thread is to discredit Edgar in anyway you can. I think he took it to Ben twice, to Penn twice, and Gray. Did he dominate? not particularly, but he made them all awesome fights.

And as for you saying Maynard TKO'd Frankie in the 2nd and 3rd fights, that's just too bad for Gray because he didn't. He hurt him and wasn't able to finish a terribly hurt Frankie Edgar. Not only that, he let Frankie recover, come back, and fight to a draw, then got his ass knocked out in the 3rd fight. I'm not even going to address the rest of your comments, I don't want to write a short story. What it comes down to is that you're either a butthurt Penn fan, have a man crush on Jose Aldo/Benson/Maynard, or just a Frankie Edgar hater.

When attempting to describe me, you might have tried "realist"?
I like Edgar a great deal. However, his myopic, denying fanbase (many of them), such as you, are nausea inducing.

One thing I can say with absolute certainty is the Edgar does NOT have wrestling on the level of Mendes. He certainly has better boxing.

As far as chin and recovery goes? I have no idea what you've based that on.

He's probably basing that on the fights that both fighters have fought in, where Edgar has an amazing chin and recovery and Mendes doesn't. How is that even a question?

Aldo wins.

Frankie should have stayed at LW, I think he can beat everyone there. Aldo is just a terrible match for him imo.

An uppercut that you throw with the rear hand, like Maynard used on Edgar and like the one Aldo dropped Manny Gamburyan with in WEC

Aldo+GIF+Gamburyan+2.gif

In karate a reverse punch is one with the rear hand, like Machida on Bader.

6D9v9.gif%20machida

Hence a reverse uppercut is one thrown with the rear hand.

It was my fault, really, for using martial arts jargon in an MMA forum. What was I thinking?

you're right, there isn't anyone in any other division who's had a similar career/resume as edgar because the lw division is so different from the rest. the point that i'm making is that guys in other divisions don't usually get praised when they lose close decisions the way edgar did vs henderson.

i see the point you make about edgar having to exert more energy in order to take henderson done, however his size, or lack thereof also helps him in terms of speed, and elusiveness. he's usually able to slip away from his opponents more easily than a larger slower lw, and it's extremely difficult to hold him down if he gets taken down.

you're right, i'm not an edgar fan, but i'm not calling him rubbish. i just don't agree that he's as great as some people try to make him out to be (best lw, top 10 p4p, one of the all time greats, etc.)

I think the reasons Frankie gets so much respect for his fights with Henderson are that:
1. Henderson has proven himself to be one of the world's best.
2. Realistically, Frankie is a full weight-class below Henderson in size.
3. Most people give Edgard credit for winning the last fight.

It is a little misleading compare these "close decisions" to those of other fighters without acknowledging context. We are all starting to realize just how good Henderson is, and at the very worst Edgar has proven himself to be very close to his equal over 10 rounds, all while giving up a significant size and strength advantage. It is pretty impressive.

Edgar has fought and beaten better fighters than Aldo in a heavier weight class. I think he has the edge.

I am with you TS. This is an exciting matchup between two of the world's best.

Looking back on the way that Henderson damaged Frankie with kicks makes me think Aldo has a shot of really affecting the course of the fight with this technique. Also, as tough as Edgar is, I can't see him being given the chance to recover if Aldo catches him early like Maynard was able to.

On the other hand, I think Frankie has the potential to use his wrestling early in the fight to wear Aldo out. If he can get to the championship rounds with the ability to stand, then Aldo may find himself in trouble with Edgar's tenancity and fitness.

Aldo's inactivity and injuries are a wild card too.

Basically, I have no idea who will take this one.

I'm undecided too, can't pick one way or another.

Aldo is my favorite fighter, but this is a closer fight than many are claiming.

When it comes down to it, should be a battle of Aldos leg kicks and takedown defense vs frankies cardio and chin

I have a strange feeling it will be a surprisingly short fight. Aldo by brutal leg kick to the head. True Frankie has a battle tested and proven chin but I gotta feeling Aldo is gonna come from some weird angle and put Edgar's lights out. Round 1 or 2.

Back