Aldo vs Edgar, who has the edge?

I'm pretty sure I'm wrong about this and maybe and hopefully someone will shed some more light on this but outside of the Hominick fight has anyone ever hit Aldo on the chin real good?

Im pretty sure Aldo has got this one..

PS well done for not writing about JSD and Velasquez! it was a great fight but im getting tired of reading about it now haha

Sherdoggers should make a 2013 resolution to live in the real world.

Edgar has better wrestling, chin, recovery, and boxing than Mendes. If he can mix it up I think he'll win a dominating decision especially in the 4th and 5th round.

Frankie is pretty tough to finish.. I could see a decision win from Aldo. If thats the case, I will feel very bad for Edgar. someone on here said that Frankie admitted he could make bantamweight.. i could really see him as the champ there

I feel like this is too hard to call without being able to see Edgar at FW first, Edgar relied on his speed a lot, an advantage he won't have so much at 145. If he focuses more on his wrestling and using his new size advantage (at least comparatively) I can see him smothering Aldo for a UD, but if he tries to stick and move with his boxing too much I can see him getting caught and possibly finished

Edgar has better wrestling, chin, recovery, and boxing than Mendes. If he can mix it up I think he'll win a dominating decision especially in the 4th and 5th round.

One thing I can say with absolute certainty is the Edgar does NOT have wrestling on the level of Mendes. He certainly has better boxing.

As far as chin and recovery goes? I have no idea what you've based that on.

My gut says Aldo, but Edgar is used to facing bigger fighters and winning so you never know. It's very important Aldo is coming from a good camp and DOES NOT GAS in this fight, as he has in previous 5 roudners.

I feel like this is too hard to call without being able to see Edgar at FW first, Edgar relied on his speed a lot, an advantage he won't have so much at 145. If he focuses more on his wrestling and using his new size advantage (at least comparatively) I can see him smothering Aldo for a UD, but if he tries to stick and move with his boxing too much I can see him getting caught and possibly finished

We haven't seen aldo fight in over a year. He's been dealing with injuries after injuries..

I will be freaking pissed if this fight is a virtual draw and the judges just flip a coin.

One thing I can say with absolute certainty is the Edgar does NOT have wrestling on the level of Mendes.

I have to disagree with you on that one - Edgar's wrestling has been much more proven in MMA.

Edgar has taken down the likes of Gray Maynard, BJ Penn and Ben Henderson, whereas Mendes has never taken down anyone with particularly good takedown defence.

Agreed, this is an absolutely huge fight. The winner of this will have a pretty legitimate claim to being the p4p best fighter in the world. I really really mean that btw.

I am a huge fan of both of these dudes. IMO, Edgar's takedowns won't be good enough to get Aldo down consistently, and frankly, Frankie takes too much damage in the standup. Maynard had him ruined on multiple occasions, and Aldo is faster, more precise, and packs more firepower than Gray if you ask me, so the most reasonable outcome is Aldo by sizzling 2nd or 3rd round KO.

Can't wait for this fight. I'm going with Edgar. I think he's gonna be able to implement his gameplan and mix things up and out work Aldo. I'm almost certain it goes to the championship rounds and think Aldo will be gased fighting at Edgar's pace, he will get put on his back and be controlled by Edgar.

Edgar has a habit of starting slow, and is vulnerable to some punches that Aldo throws with a lot of power and precision (particularly the reverse uppercut). Aldo has no such problems starting slowly, and is a vicious finisher of hurt opponents. While much is made of Edgar's recovery, the opponents where he's best shown it are not guys known for finishing (namely Gray Maynard). Aldo has no such problems.

Aldo puts away Edgar inside the first frame.

I have to disagree with you on that one - Edgar's wrestling has been much more proven in MMA.

That's simply due to having more fights than Mendes. I know I see them both use wrestling in MMA, and Mendes certainly seems to be the better of the 2 which says a great deal given how good Edgar is.

Edgar has taken down the likes of Gray Maynard, BJ Penn and Ben Henderson, whereas Mendes has never taken down anyone with particularly good takedown defence.

Who they've taken down means little unless they've actually fought the same people. Mendes has taken down the like of Koch, Vasquez, Omigawa who all have very good TD defense. And he's taken down Aldo who has arguably the best in MMA.

frankie.. the guy should be the champ at LW right now, he has better cardio, good chin/recovery, fast speed, and pretty good boxing i just dont see aldo landing his kicks or strikes on edgar at all, especially in a 5 round fight.

Edgar will be the new champ, and he should be a champ at 2 weight classes....

Back