agriculture exports, corona.

original doom

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i have yet too see anything posted about this anywhere. at what point do food producers halt all exports to other countries ? yes a very basic question but one that could have dire results for countries who rely on imports.

as it stands people are panicing and certain foods are showing shortages such as rice, pasta, canned goods, powdered milk etc etc. india and china have already halted medicine. are we next food exporters, is it time to place bans on exports. i hope its already happened. im going to assume china has halted all agriculture exports.

Last edited:
Your thinking is ass backwards @covenant there just was the panic buying boom.

Now, there’ll be a lull because so many people have all their groceries for the next month. If anything, they might have to export more.

The amount of net food Americans consumed hasn’t changed. This was just a ripple in the graph and warehouses are emptier than they typicallly are, then they’ll fill back up, then we’ll be back to the steady stream in and out

Your thinking is ass backwards @covenant there just was the panic buying boom.

Now, there’ll be a lull because so many people have all their groceries for the next month. If anything, they might have to export more.

The amount of net food Americans consumed hasn’t changed. This was just a ripple in the graph and warehouses are emptier than they typicallly are, then they’ll fill back up, then we’ll be back to the steady stream in and out

this is assuming the virus burns itself out. most people are not set for a month, alot arent even all that bothered, yet. america is largely safe, its who you export too.

orig

Damn Brasil!!!

So blue!! They should be a better country now what the hell happened over there?

The capital costs for infrastructure, land development and inputs of Brazilian Ag are sky high. The farms down there are massive, around ten times the size of what you see in America. Most of the country's wealthiest families and political elite naturally have interests tied up in the sector.

rice, pasta, canned goods, powdered milk etc

Rice is imported.

Pasta wheat is grown here, but I am not sure it's processed here.

Canned goods are a combination of imports and exports.

Dry milk in the US is fat free. If you want whole milk that is powdered, you have to import it.

Even the crops we grow, we tend to have is processed overseas.

Heck, I was talking to a farmer last week that said beef that are raised in the US are often shipped to China to be slaughtered and then shipped back to the US.

Everything is a global market, even beef.

I guess you can stock up on chicken and eggs though.

Last edited:
Right now the grocery supply chain is not only working, it’s working overtime to meet panic demand. Harming producers and market effectiveness with border controls would be counterproductive. Horrible idea.

rice, pasta, canned goods, powdered milk etc

Rice is imported.

Pasta what is grown here, but I am not sure it's processed here.

Canned goods are a combination of imports and exports.

Dry milk in the US is fat free. If you want whole milk that is powdered, you have to import it.

Even the crops we grow, we tend to have is processed overseas.

Heck, I was talking to a farmer last week that said beef that are raised in the US are often shipped to China to be slaughtered and then shipped back to the US.

Everything is a global market, even beef.

I guess you can stock up on chicken and eggs though.

Got a source on hold ? Sounds like an insanely expensive idea (exporting live animals and reimporting the meat).

Got a source on hold ? Sounds like an insanely expensive idea (exporting live animals and reimporting the meat).

I too was scratching my head at that comment. This guy raises lamb for food. But, he said that beef cows head to China simply because there are less rules for slaughterhouses to follow.

I too was scratching my head at that comment. This guy raises lamb for food. But, he said that beef cows head to China simply because there are less rules for slaughterhouses to follow.

Yeah exactly I could be missing something but imagine the cost of sending a live animal overseas would outweigh any regulatory effect.

Last edited:
Yeah exactly I could be missing something but imagine the cost of sending a love animal overseas would outweigh any regulatory effect.

Its bullshit, slaughterhouses will pay the farmer directly and even send the animal trailers. People around here typically sell a couple of times a year. Its the reason theres always fresh meat.

Cows are typically auctioned though, theres one every week around here. It's why prices flucuate week to week.

My source, theres cows across the street. I sell hay from my land to cattle farmers every year.

Back