A refutation of Trump vs. the GOP

Yes. I actually think Trump losing and picking up seats in congress will be better for republicans in 4 years. Especially seeing how Trump had the highest % of minority vote for republicans in like 50 years. They will have 4 years to groom a more normal candidate and put out a more sane message/platform and attract moderates/conservatives who couldn't bring themselves to vote for Trump such as myself.

Here's the thing. Trumps style and character invigorated people. It was both a feature and a flaw. He was equivalent to a Hockey goon sent in to do much needed damage. Aggressive, relentless, and productive.

But without the style of Trump you simply can't get people out to vote. You can't get people excited for corporate tax breaks and deregulation without a populist appeal to offset the obvious negatives.

And dems are literally the majority of the country and winning the culture war by being decades ahead of the game.

The republican party is done. Witness the death throes. This is literally it.

Trump was blamed for the covid response. I don't think GOP senators really were. That's probably more responsible for the difference. In addition to Trump's terrible 1st debate performance.

Part of that is self-induced though. Had he took a more sympathizing position with Covid he might have gotten some emotional appeal. People saw him as a "not taking it seriously" President which I think likely hit him hard with the elder voters. That part of his personality I think both won him and lost him the two elections.

We are in the middle of pandemic for the last 8 months and the election is so close Trump still hasn't technically lost yet. He received a larger number of votes and larger % of the popular vote than last time. Not sure this is the "refutation" you want it to be.

Agree.

I will not be satisfied until this fat orange shitstain is being perp waked into a federal prison in his orange jumpsuit. We should see it happen before the end of 2022.

Agree.

I will not be satisfied until this fat orange shitstain is being perp waked into a federal prison in his orange jumpsuit. We should see it happen before the end of 2022.
I don't think federal will happen because Biden will probably try to patch things up between voters from each party. I'm hoping NY nails Trump though.

Here's the thing. Trumps style and character invigorated people. It was both a feature and a flaw. He was equivalent to a Hockey goon sent in to do much needed damage. Aggressive, relentless, and productive.

But without the style of Trump you simply can't get people out to vote. You can't get people excited for corporate tax breaks and deregulation without a populist appeal to offset the obvious negatives.

And dems are literally the majority of the country and winning the culture war by being decades ahead of the game.

The republican party is done. Witness the death throes. This is literally it.

Being a hockey goon isn't "populist appeal". Trump is a mean-spirited asshole who appealed to his fellow mean-spirited assholes.

Nah. All things considered, Trump still did very well and got an extremely good turnout. Not much of a refutation or denouncement. He just lost an extremely contentious popularity contest with the deck stacked against him, amidst a pandemic that fucked his whole term up. Not much to make the GOP go back to their old ways, which saw them on death's door before Trump came along.

Trumpservatsm is here to stay, and I wouldn't be surprised to see another Trump up there in 2024. The only reason the GOP isn't dead and buried is because of Trump. The GOP is not just gonna turn around and ignore that.

I don't think federal will happen because Biden will probably try to patch things up between voters from each party. I'm hoping NY nails Trump though.

I will be satisfied with either. Though both would be ideal. :)

Trump is going to lose the election. However, the GOP isn't losing the Senate and might actually pick up seats in the House.

Is it fair to see this as a denouncement of Trump's specific approach to governing and not of conservative political ideology itself?

Personally, that's what I want to believe. I've spent the last 4 years watching Trump govern as poorly as possible while somehow having his behavior praised loudly. My biggest concern was that Trump's incompetence and other, ahem, flaws would horribly set back the GOP for years to come. If the GOP maintains its positions in Congress while Trump gets voted out of office, I think it firmly establishes just how bad a President he was. Moreover, it should, but won't, reaffirm that the Trumpists were cheering poor behavior, not good governing.

If Trump loses it will be by a hair and that with the worst possible circumstances (corona / economy). The playbook has been written, turn to the dog whistle to 1,0000, and motivate the cultural base. Go after the Latinos and you have a formula here. The real issue here is that the GOP let this happen. There is no consistent ideology or at the least it’s all cultural stuff, I mean beyond that, what political ideology do you think has not been rejected?

I saw the rally crowds and Trump's vote totals. That's not a refutation. Also, many of the candidates that won did so by supporting Trump.

There's a lot of shit posting going on today.

he lost. its as definitive of a refutation as your going to get.

The thing that’s been on my mind is do voters even consider balance of powers when considering certain races. 2018 and 2020 make me feel like there might be something to that but it’s really hard to give any hard evidence to it. Like 2018 was originally going to be a bigger sweep for Dems in the Senate but then it narrowed either during the Kavanaugh hearings or impeachment talk. Now in 2020, you had very up hill battle for the GOP to retain seats and keep the senate with polls looking grim but they appeared to only lose two seats and it’s hard to not think that’s tied to the filibuster and court packing talks. Again, the races just may have narrowed as that got closer or the polling was just off but I really think the way Dems have run on Senate specific issues has been very very poor the past four years. I just don’t know if that matter to a voter or if it is just mostly localized and myself and others form a narrative for it.

That is the direction we were moving in prior to Trump.

When I was more active in the party, minority, LGTBQ, etc. outreach was a big internal talking point. Broadening the base in response to the obvious demographic data. I expect the effort to redouble now that he's gone.

Yeah, I can't wait for a more polished cover for looting the economy for generations, enabling rampant campaign corruption, and actively destroying the environment and hastening climate change.

We all know the biggest problem was not pretending to care about minorities.

Trump is going to lose the election. However, the GOP isn't losing the Senate and might actually pick up seats in the House.

Is it fair to see this as a denouncement of Trump's specific approach to governing and not of conservative political ideology itself?

Personally, that's what I want to believe. I've spent the last 4 years watching Trump govern as poorly as possible while somehow having his behavior praised loudly. My biggest concern was that Trump's incompetence and other, ahem, flaws would horribly set back the GOP for years to come. If the GOP maintains its positions in Congress while Trump gets voted out of office, I think it firmly establishes just how bad a President he was. Moreover, it should, but won't, reaffirm that the Trumpists were cheering poor behavior, not good governing.

Yes. All of this.

There's nothing I need to add here.

Nailed it.

"Govern as poorly as possible" - He wasn't as bad as George Bush, he wasn't even as vicious as Reagan when it comes to foreign policy. The GOP has been disgusting long before Trump, for at least 40 years, this has been the centerpiece of the party strategy:

Trump as a Republican president has killed less people than any other Republican president since Vietnam. The party is awful and you are a genuine piece of shit for being a part of it.

The only reason why republicans are getting the support is cause they became the “trump party”

Doubt republicans will go back to being establishment party of neocons and rinos

This highlights how shady the presidential election is.

Republicans win the senate, but this isn’t reflected in the Trump/Biden vote.

The Supreme Court needs to investigate this.

I mean, when you look at the races, not really. Most of them were the same party for president and senate with the exception of Collins which isn’t surprising.

This^

Case in point...

Where's Pres. George W. Bush? It's like he just vanished off the face of the planet.

I remember when GW Bush was the evil incarnate racist, homophobe, Hitler, but then John McCain received that title, then Mitt Romney... somehow Trump became that guy too! How does that happen? lol

Back