1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »
Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

A refutation of Trump vs. the GOP

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by panamaican, Nov 4, 2020.

1. panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Trump is going to lose the election. However, the GOP isn't losing the Senate and might actually pick up seats in the House.

Is it fair to see this as a denouncement of Trump's specific approach to governing and not of conservative political ideology itself?

Personally, that's what I want to believe. I've spent the last 4 years watching Trump govern as poorly as possible while somehow having his behavior praised loudly. My biggest concern was that Trump's incompetence and other, ahem, flaws would horribly set back the GOP for years to come. If the GOP maintains its positions in Congress while Trump gets voted out of office, I think it firmly establishes just how bad a President he was. Moreover, it should, but won't, reaffirm that the Trumpists were cheering poor behavior, not good governing.

TheWorm, SandaKicker, kpt018 and 19 others like this.
  2. Goonerview Gold Belt

This highlights how shady the presidential election is.

Republicans win the senate, but this isn’t reflected in the Trump/Biden vote.

The Supreme Court needs to investigate this.

3. Rational Poster Actually the Best Poster

Republicans are going to stand by and stand back then redouble their efforts and organize themselves behind a more charismatic and intelligent fascist since it demonstrability worked so well for them with this total jerk idiot.

A Lurker, MicroBrew, IGIT and 16 others like this.
  4. My Spot Not my bald spot. Not your dog, Spot.

Huh? Rs already had the Senate. And they'll end up losing a seat come January.

5. Yagadot Purple Belt

I think Trump’s incompetence in areas would have been accepted (It was for GWB). Constantly shitting on people and not being able to take criticism is what likely turned certain older voters against him. You’ve got to do the smarmy respectful stuff (even if you don’t feel that way.)

6. panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

I think that's a legitimate possibility if they can convince themselves that they can run a psycho figurehead but not catch any of the blowback at the Congressional level. I'd rather we don't do that but if this was a stress test, it's been informative.

7. TheFabulousNew Orange Belt

Nope. Trump was a one off, an anomaly. The Republicans hated him. Now its back to business as usual for Dems and Republicans.

Although, I do think some of Trumps humor and tactics with the public will have a lasting influence on both parties. But behind the scenes? Its all business.

8. Whippy McGee Meme Master

I saw the rally crowds and Trump's vote totals. That's not a refutation. Also, many of the candidates that won did so by supporting Trump.

There's a lot of shit posting going on today.

9. Headkicktoleg Banned Banned

Yes. I actually think Trump losing and picking up seats in congress will be better for republicans in 4 years. Especially seeing how Trump had the highest % of minority vote for republicans in like 50 years. They will have 4 years to groom a more normal candidate and put out a more sane message/platform and attract moderates/conservatives who couldn't bring themselves to vote for Trump such as myself.

scoopj, Canned Tuna, BAM and 2 others like this.
  10. Swing Brown Belt

I think there must be something to the idea that recent events drove independents away from voting for a Democratic ticket, but whatever put them off wasn't quite as distasteful as Trump's ridiculous display over the past few weeks (assuming the safe bet does go through).

11. panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

That is the direction we were moving in prior to Trump.

When I was more active in the party, minority, LGTBQ, etc. outreach was a big internal talking point. Broadening the base in response to the obvious demographic data. I expect the effort to redouble now that he's gone.

12. Bojka Brown Belt

He lost a close election with everything stacked against him. That result is binary, but the conclusions we form from the result shouldn't be.

The moral victory progressives were looking for didn't happen.

Fugazy, Prex32, shankmcgank and 3 others like this.
  13. Rational Poster Actually the Best Poster

Maybe not the immediate cycle, but when everyone forgets about Trump a little ways down the line.

14. MMAisGod Ya keep pushing or ya quit. That simple.

This part is accurate imo. I think the fact that some conservative senators won with, say, dubious history, reinforces it more. Even with all things Trump, had he simply been less off-putting he may have won. Imagine shoveling out decent quality candidates. The potential is there. Just depends on whether they will take advantage or not.

15. Bojka Brown Belt

Trump was blamed for the covid response. I don't think GOP senators really were. That's probably more responsible for any difference. In addition to Trump's terrible 1st debate performance.

Cyber99 likes this.
  16. MoparOrNoCar Silver Belt

I thought he governed well and behaved poorly.

MaxMMA likes this.
  17. Clifford_Harris Brown Belt

Conservatives keeping the senate would only mean that if they won the seat in states Trump loss. Or House members winning in districts Trump loss.

Trump will probably win more states than Biden and still lose the election.

Bojka likes this.
  18. jrams Red Belt

We are in the middle of pandemic for the last 8 months and the election is so close Trump still hasn't technically lost yet. He received a larger number of votes and larger % of the popular vote than last time. Not sure this is the "refutation" you want it to be.

shankmcgank and superking like this.
  19. Bojka Brown Belt

Good point. California has more electoral whatever they are called than Montana, but don't they each have 2 senate seats?

Cuauhtemoc likes this.
  20. ultramanhyata Reclimbing Like Mountain

25 year old Madison Cawthorn is the future of American conservatism. His "Cry more, lib" tweet after winning his House seat is a representation of what to expect the level of discourse to be from the next generation of republicans.

TheWorm and King of Fists like this.