A plea to moderators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumb idea about keeping white belts from starting threads. I have been following MMA for a long time and could very easily have a colored belt if I chose to make a comment in every single topic like a lot of people do. Wouldn't a simpler solution be to not open threads that look familiar? You can chose which ones you go into. I can't stand the people who open a thread, which is interesting, just to bash it for being a rerun of an earlier thread. I'm not going to search for something before I open it and I also don't spend every day on this website looking for someone to flame.

black-jack-shalack said:
In the last few months

last few months?.... where the hell have you been, this is the standard here, for a long time now.

Hell, they support this kind of thing here, by making ppl have alot of postes before they can have and avatars. Stupid ass thing.

Why not just delete stupid threads and ban memebers who start them frequently?

beaglepuss said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again...Bring back Newbietown! Make a new sub forum for new members. After they've been on the board for two months and have atleast 75, allow them to create threads in the other forums. This would help people understand how the forum works and it would reduce trolling a bit. This is the easy way to fix the problem.........but sadly it will never happen.

That would not fix the "problem." Members would still complain about threads which they just shouldn't read.

I personally don't have a problem with whitebelts starting threads. A lot of them are very knowledgeable, and aren't noobs to MMA, just noobs to the site, and some of them have been here for more than a year. And stopping whitebelts from starting threads isn't the answer anyway, because there are guys that get their yellow in 4 days, and hit the 1,000 post mark in a month or less, and they are the ones that constantly say shit like "STFU noob", or "search", or "wasteland".

I will also add that all postwhores aren't idiots. Although they post a lot, some of them actually do make 25-30 good posts per day, and actually post something relating to the topic. The only thing i can think of is for mods to get stricter on dumb threads, and give out more warnings for "wasteland" type responses that add nothing to a thread, and actually keep it up near the top so more people have to see it.

What would help is maybe a little option that can be used to "flag" a thread for moderator attention. Make it so that if it gets so many votes the moderators get alerted and can check the thread out and take action, if needed. Though I can see that being abused with the immature schmucks here.

TopCat said:
What would help is maybe a little option that can be used to "flag" a thread for moderator attention. Make it so that if it gets so many votes the moderators get alerted and can check the thread out and take action, if needed. Though I can see that being abused with the immature schmucks here.

That might not be a bad idea. Don't they have a "report post" function though?

They could screen all threads before they are posted, but that is a bit labor intensive.

I don't think you need to ban white belts, but maybe when starting a thread (no matter who it is), it should go to a moderator for quick approval. Not to mention, it seems like there has been a large increase in the amount of bashing going on from posters to fighters, etc.

I have only been posting a little while but have enjoyed sherdog.com and reading the post for years. It used to be a place to find some useful and fun information. While some of it is still good, the personal attacks have gotten crazy as of late.

black-jack-shalack said:
In the last few months this board has been flooded with stupid ass threads started by white belts who have to be the same people starting new accounts over and over and are clearly on a trolling mission. It's really hurt what was the ebst MMA messge board on the web Please think about changing the rules to keep whiet belts from startign new threads like "Karate beats MMA" and the like that bring nothing to the table and just take up space and drive away quality members. Thank you in advance.

Also limit non-platinum members sigs to one line especially when its dumb shit like below->
ESTELLE: I don't understand you. I really don't. You have nothing better to do at three o' clock in the afternoon? I go out for a quart of milk, I come home, and find my son treating his body like it was an amusement park!
GEORGE: (Stern, trying to shut her up) Ma.
ESTELLE: Don't give me "Ma". It's a good thing I didn't hit the table. I could of cracked my head open.
GEORGE: Ma, people can hear you.
ESTELLE: (Heavy in sarcasm) Too bad you can't do that for a living. You'd be very successful at it. You could sell out Madison Square Garden. Thousands of people could watch you! You could be a big star!

Seinfeld: "The Contest" episode #51

You know what can really help? if everyone would stop reading threads they dont like or think is over due...threads like that will die soon and you all can be happy...

But no, instead of ignoring everyone goes on post on them, "wasteland" "search function" "noob" etc etc...and all you do is keep those alive...not difficult to solve is it?

black-jack-shalack said:
In the last few months this board has been flooded with stupid ass threads started by white belts who have to be the same people starting new accounts over and over and are clearly on a trolling mission. It's really hurt what was the ebst MMA messge board on the web Please think about changing the rules to keep whiet belts from startign new threads like "Karate beats MMA" and the like that bring nothing to the table and just take up space and drive away quality members. Thank you in advance.
It is CLASSIC. TO CREATE A NEW USELESS THREAD TO TRASH USELESS THREADS.
Shalack you don't like useless stupid threads - don't participate in one.
You don't like white belts - just create a new thread 'I LOVE TO HATE WHITE BELTS'
You want to talk to moderators - write them a private message.
Applying common sense a person who posts 3000 posts in 3 months is not a brown belt, he is a dickhead, ask Evangelos!
If I wanna say something I will post it. If I cant find appropriate thread I will make it. If I am banned I will create a new user. You don't like it? Go screw yourself

The 90% of the crap threads are white belts ones. So.. I propose 150 posts AND 1 month here before being able to start threads. Nothing against the new posters, its good to see new guys here. But this could help the forums become better, and would give time to the new ones to get used here use, read the FAQ, and use the searcs function. And that would help the mods too as they would have some time to ban the worst ones before they start making shitty threads.

Gai Jin said:
Newbs come with the territory. If you don't like their threads dont post on them and they will soon go away. The problem is that every shergod with a zillion posts feels the need to flame them. So, instead of the post just going away, it stays active. Maybe if some of the old timers weren't such post whores this wouldn't be a problem.

Thank you, you took the words right out of my keyboard! I suggest taking of the belt and post counts this would discourage trollers from posting just to get a belt and run up the post count. Instead they should award belts by time on the forum.

Sean said:
No white belt threads is stupid. It will discourage new members from joining, at thats the last thing Sherdog wants. Plus not all whitebelts make invalid threads, and not all invalid threads are made by white belts. How about just more mods to move or delete them.

I disagree. it wouldn't stop anyone from posting jsut from starting their own thread unitl they ahve shown they aren't a retaed who's going to fill up the board with useless threads about stupid ass crap that nobody is interested in and the quality threads get pushed father down teh ladder and then people don't see them.

I disagree. You should just use common sense. Wouldn't this cause them to postwhore more and make more stupid posts until they get a yellow belt? There would be thousands of Evangelos'! I think that would be worse...

IRON-E said:
Also limit non-platinum members sigs to one line especially when its dumb shit like below->
ESTELLE: I don't understand you. I really don't. You have nothing better to do at three o' clock in the afternoon? I go out for a quart of milk, I come home, and find my son treating his body like it was an amusement park!
GEORGE: (Stern, trying to shut her up) Ma.
ESTELLE: Don't give me "Ma". It's a good thing I didn't hit the table. I could of cracked my head open.
GEORGE: Ma, people can hear you.
ESTELLE: (Heavy in sarcasm) Too bad you can't do that for a living. You'd be very successful at it. You could sell out Madison Square Garden. Thousands of people could watch you! You could be a big star!

Seinfeld: "The Contest" episode #51

hahahahahaha..we hear you bro..we hear you....

Not allowing whitebelts to start threads would deluge the whole board with nonsense posts from white belts to enable them to move up for the privilege of starting threads. Its bad enough now as it is with white belts getting thousand sumthin posts in 3 months.

Maybe some other form of ranking is more useful. Time onboard perhaps and some kind of point system for good insightful posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back