A plea to moderators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
gai jin, what's your point of your reply? a typical sherdog reply? are you that stupid that you can't think of your own original reply. wow, i stand amazed, new england's finest: gai jin.

Everyone needs to stop bitching and chill out, Sherdog is fine the way it is.

schz said:
i dont think its about belt color as much as it is about how long you have been registered here.

i know i havent been for too long, and im not saying im a senior member, but in general i have noticed people who have been here longer usually post smarter things. and actually the best threads ive read come from people with less than 200 posts but who have been registered forever. and that makes sense, those people say something when they have something good to say.

i would hate to give or take more privileges based on belt color, because this is a big problem here. there are a lot of postwhores who maybe wouldnt post such stupid things if they werent encouraged by the better nicer belt idea, avatar etc.

i think we definetely need some sort of rule where if someone maintains an average of more than 30-40 posts per day, they should be checked out. if all their posts are worthwhile then great. if they are not then they should be carded/banned, etc.

i posted earlier about evangelos, go look at his profile. something like 4000 posts in a month. it should be obvious that someone who posts so much is probably posting mostly crap.

my 2 cents on it.

This post makes me feel proud.

schz said:
and please dear god ban evangelos

Seriously..... I have seen BAN HIM about evangelos more than any other person. Still he is here.

I would think a silver belt would know how to work the search function

Don't ban whitebelts for making stupid threads... ban anyone that makes a stupid thread repeatedly. Seriously

Sean said:
No white belt threads is stupid. It will discourage new members from joining, at thats the last thing Sherdog wants. Plus not all whitebelts make invalid threads, and not all invalid threads are made by white belts. How about just more mods to move or delete them.

I think this is the guy who has it right. I, out of respect only for the colored belts do not start threads....even though in reality I hold more experience than probably most of them but it is a respect thing and the colored belts do deserve it because they were here first. I agree 100% that some whitle belt threads are just pitiful and repetitive and I see quite clearly where the complaint comes from, so more mods to move idiotic topics to wasteland is a great idea...

I don't think banning whitebelts from starting threads is necessary, the 'ghosts of mma past' was started by a whitebelt for example and it was of the best threads in months.

Either increase the number of mods or make them more active in carding/banning ill conceived 'comedy' threads, Bruce Lee in MMA, UFC vs Pride, Where is Frank? etc etc. posts. Sadly many of these come from whitebelts, but much of the time it's just previously banned posters coming back for a bit of trolling.

I think stupid threads about stupid shit should be banned period, doesn't matter who it is; white, blue, gree, red, silver, who gives a shit, if its fucking stupid, its fucking stupid. So yeah, down with idiocy. There needs to be more mature discussion on the forum too in my opinion. Make a thread, start a discussion, don't have gay fanboys running in nuthugging whatever/whoever and instead take more objective views and have serious debates and discussions with realistic and valued opinions.

JackBurton said:
I don't think banning whitebelts from starting threads is necessary, the 'ghosts of mma past' was started by a whitebelt for example and it was of the best threads in months.

Either increase the number of mods or make them more active in carding/banning ill conceived 'comedy' threads, Bruce Lee in MMA, UFC vs Pride, Where is Frank? etc etc. posts. Sadly many of these come from whitebelts, but much of the time it's just previously banned posters coming back for a bit of trolling.

Yeah, MATADOR did a really nice job with that thread.

Tapout22 said:
I think the idea of making a rule thats doesnt allow white belts to create threads is not right. Just because someone has a whit belt and is new to the forum, doesnt mean they are new to the sport. I myself have been a fan of MMA since Royce fought Kimo. But due to the fact that I have a white belt here on this site means I know nothing about the sport. This sport is growning very fast. New viewers (like myself) coming to this site is an inevitablity. But thats no reason to punish the new guys. I think more moderators is the answer. If mods can keep an eye out for people who dont know much about the sport creating useless threads, that would be the better option.Posts should be judged on content, not belt color.

I agree that it shouldn't be a matter of belt color. But it's not about how long you've been a fan of the sport or how much you know. It's about knowing the intricacies of the forums, and knowing what to say and not say so as not to start trouble. No one questions that a white belt might have been a fan for 10 years, but does he know enough not to start a Rickson Gracie thread?

As a white-belt who secretly loathes himself for his lowly nature....I agree that most white belts post crap most of the time. However, I think most people on the board have nothing to contribute as well. Like every other board I've been on, newbs are always making retarded threads. B/c of TUF though, you're gonna have to accept it...the sport is growing. You could halt the growth of the board, but new blood brings new conversations. I think it's something that you have to grin and bear it.

BTW, I have been reading this board for years. I only started posting recently as I've given up on posting at my BMX website.

What I have never really understood about this forum is this:
If a thread is so annoying, redundant, trollish, ridiculous or what have you, why do the supposedly outraged Sherdog members take the time to post in the thread? If it is that much of a waste of your time that you want to ban the thread starter, why give life to the thread and post?

No one has to read any thread they don't wish to read. This is a forum.

schz said:
i dont think its about belt color as much as it is about how long you have been registered here.

i know i havent been for too long, and im not saying im a senior member, but in general i have noticed people who have been here longer usually post smarter things. and actually the best threads ive read come from people with less than 200 posts but who have been registered forever. and that makes sense, those people say something when they have something good to say.

i would hate to give or take more privileges based on belt color, because this is a big problem here. there are a lot of postwhores who maybe wouldnt post such stupid things if they werent encouraged by the better nicer belt idea, avatar etc.

i think we definetely need some sort of rule where if someone maintains an average of more than 30-40 posts per day, they should be checked out. if all their posts are worthwhile then great. if they are not then they should be carded/banned, etc.

i posted earlier about evangelos, go look at his profile. something like 4000 posts in a month. it should be obvious that someone who posts so much is probably posting mostly crap.

my 2 cents on it.

I have read some quality posts on sherdog in my day, only joined a few months ago but been reading from the site forever it seems.....but I must say word for word this might be the best post I've ever read. Mature and makes a dead on good point.....3 cheers schz!

Another forum I used to post on had quite a good solution to abusive post-whoring. The post-whores would be put on so called post-leashes and limited to say 10 posts per day (as an example). "What should I use my precious 4 posts on today.." Needless to say it was extremely effective.

i support the idea of keeping white belts from creating threads.

SuperSuperRambo said:
I agree that it shouldn't be a matter of belt color. But it's not about how long you've been a fan of the sport or how much you know. It's about knowing the intricacies of the forums, and knowing what to say and not say so as not to start trouble. No one questions that a white belt might have been a fan for 10 years, but does he know enough not to start a Rickson Gracie thread?

Agreed. You know which threads bother me the most? "over rated threads" Is BJ Penn over rated, is Wanderlei Over rated? I know they might be newbies to the sport or mentally challenged but do they forget they are on the internet? hundreds of places for info, search features, check their records, ect. It's as if everyone has to convince this guy why he's wrong when he could save face and search and think for himself, but we're suppose to believe their "I've been a fan since I was 6" stories when they post crap like this?

judo4u said:
I have read some quality posts on sherdog in my day, only joined a few months ago but been reading from the site forever it seems.....but I must say word for word this might be the best post I've ever read. Mature and makes a dead on good point.....3 cheers schz!

It was a good post, especially since it praised members like myself... *Ahem*. But, I don't know if it was the "best post I've ever read," that is a huge award to be handing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back