A plea to moderators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

black-jack-shalack

Silver Belt
Reaction score
In the last few months this board has been flooded with stupid ass threads started by white belts who have to be the same people starting new accounts over and over and are clearly on a trolling mission. It's really hurt what was the ebst MMA messge board on the web Please think about changing the rules to keep whiet belts from startign new threads like "Karate beats MMA" and the like that bring nothing to the table and just take up space and drive away quality members. Thank you in advance.

and please dear god ban evangelos

No white belt threads is stupid. It will discourage new members from joining, at thats the last thing Sherdog wants. Plus not all whitebelts make invalid threads, and not all invalid threads are made by white belts. How about just more mods to move or delete them.

Something should be done, but then again, this is an internet-forum.

It would be so wrong to stop all sensible white-belt people from posting. It shouldn't be a belt-thing, or anything like that. We need common sense. Free word for everyone who got some brain in their posts - but for those who have not (aka "no-brainers"), moderator-control.

Moderators could maybe react (even) faster to obvious trolls though. More deleting useless posts, more and quicker yellows, and ban for those who just don't get it.

The majority of mods coming out of the OT forum doesnt help. How many actually frequent this board. There has in the past at least been a lot of contempt in OT for the MMA forum.

This topic leads us to a question about moderators too. If we need more moderators, the moderating needs to be moderate too, right? Meaning - harsh measures tend to increase the "will to power", it's important to keep our precious forum as sensible as it is and has been, even to make it better.

black-jack-shalack said:
In the last few months this board has been flooded with stupid ass threads started by white belts who have to be the same people starting new accounts over and over and are clearly on a trolling mission. It's really hurt what was the ebst MMA messge board on the web Please think about changing the rules to keep whiet belts from startign new threads like "Karate beats MMA" and the like that bring nothing to the table and just take up space and drive away quality members. Thank you in advance.

search function, n00b

black-jack-shalack said:

lots of the problem guys have trolled themselves into purple belts and shit...

I think the idea of making a rule thats doesnt allow white belts to create threads is not right. Just because someone has a whit belt and is new to the forum, doesnt mean they are new to the sport. I myself have been a fan of MMA since Royce fought Kimo. But due to the fact that I have a white belt here on this site means I know nothing about the sport. This sport is growning very fast. New viewers (like myself) coming to this site is an inevitablity. But thats no reason to punish the new guys. I think more moderators is the answer. If mods can keep an eye out for people who dont know much about the sport creating useless threads, that would be the better option.Posts should be judged on content, not belt color.

I agree something should be done. Ive been around since 2002 but started a new account in 2004 so i have been here longer than my join date may imply. And in those 3 or 4 years its been a great board with loads of decent threads with interesting issues, points of view and constructive conversation. But in the last 6 months or so its all gone down hill as the MMA board has so many ridiculous threads and posts. Im not going to leave sherdog because you still get the decent stuff, its just rarer. Its not just white belts though. Alot of new users have been on here a month and already have a blue belt.

nice censorship. MMA is growing, I have been a fan since UFC 1. I have not been a member of this forum for long but just beacause someone is a whitebelt does not mean that they are uninformed. You should be more careful with such blanket accusations.
Whitebelt does not = stupid
stupid comments = stupid.

Sherdog dont care
More members = more money or potential customers click on the banners from companies that pay him

Tapout22 said:
I think the idea of making a rule thats doesnt allow white belts to create threads is not right. Just because someone has a whit belt and is new to the forum, doesnt mean they are new to the sport. I myself have been a fan of MMA since Royce fought Kimo. But due to the fact that I have a white belt here on this site means I know nothing about the sport. This sport is growning very fast. New viewers (like myself) coming to this site is an inevitablity. But thats no reason to punish the new guys. I think more moderators is the answer. If mods can keep an eye out for people who dont know much about the sport creating useless threads, that would be the better option.Posts should be judged on content, not belt color.

This is the way to go.

Jappex said:
Something should be done, but then again, this is an internet-forum.

It would be so wrong to stop all sensible white-belt people from posting. It shouldn't be a belt-thing, or anything like that. We need common sense. Free word for everyone who got some brain in their posts - but for those who have not (aka "no-brainers"), moderator-control.

Moderators could maybe react (even) faster to obvious trolls though. More deleting useless posts, more and quicker yellows, and ban for those who just don't get it.

"hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!"

I don't really mind the board the way it is. There has been an increase in poor thread topics since I joined though.

Newbs come with the territory. If you don't like their threads dont post on them and they will soon go away. The problem is that every shergod with a zillion posts feels the need to flame them. So, instead of the post just going away, it stays active. Maybe if some of the old timers weren't such post whores this wouldn't be a problem.

i think that, personally, the guys who have colored belts(other than white) have been posting legitamate, meaningful topics. i enjoy pretty much all the topics being discussed each time i sign on, and honestly, unless i have a topic worth posting. i don't want to redue any topics to death.

rya26 said:
i think that, personally, the guys who have colored belts(other than white) have been posting legitamate, meaningful topics. i enjoy pretty much all the topics being discussed each time i sign on, and honestly, unless i have a topic worth posting. i don't want to redue any topics to death.

and the typical shergod reply would be, "who asked you whitebelt!?!"

i dont think its about belt color as much as it is about how long you have been registered here.

i know i havent been for too long, and im not saying im a senior member, but in general i have noticed people who have been here longer usually post smarter things. and actually the best threads ive read come from people with less than 200 posts but who have been registered forever. and that makes sense, those people say something when they have something good to say.

i would hate to give or take more privileges based on belt color, because this is a big problem here. there are a lot of postwhores who maybe wouldnt post such stupid things if they werent encouraged by the better nicer belt idea, avatar etc.

i think we definetely need some sort of rule where if someone maintains an average of more than 30-40 posts per day, they should be checked out. if all their posts are worthwhile then great. if they are not then they should be carded/banned, etc.

i posted earlier about evangelos, go look at his profile. something like 4000 posts in a month. it should be obvious that someone who posts so much is probably posting mostly crap.

my 2 cents on it.

Belt colour has nothing to do with thread quality. Just as must shit is spewed by people who have thousands of posts as there is by new comer's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back