A plea to moderators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gai Jin said:
Newbs come with the territory. If you don't like their threads dont post on them and they will soon go away. The problem is that every shergod with a zillion posts feels the need to flame them. So, instead of the post just going away, it stays active. Maybe if some of the old timers weren't such post whores this wouldn't be a problem.

So your saying just because someone is new that no one should reply if they create a thread. I think the quality of the thread should decide whether or not people post on it.

Why not have an automatic search function? When you submit a thread, put a 30 second delay for the server to search the site for similar thread titles.

CanMan said:
Another forum I used to post on had quite a good solution to abusive post-whoring. The post-whores would be put on so called post-leashes and limited to say 10 posts per day (as an example). "What should I use my precious 4 posts on today.." Needless to say it was extremely effective.

I like this idea a lot. it might be good to use in addition to the no white belt thread idea.

how about a post cap? 10 post added to your account per day. you can still post after but it will not add to your account!

Allatura said:
Why not have an automatic search function? When you submit a thread, put a 30 second delay for the server to search the site for similar thread titles.

This is a pretty good idea also. Between this and the post cap on whores... things really could be looking up.

You know what pisses me off?

Is when guys who have 11,000 posts have nothing better to do than bitch about whitebelts and what they are posting. Who the fuck are you to say who and what gets posted, you don't own this board and considering you have those 11,000 posts I would think that if anyone has any reason to be pisssed it is the whitebelts because we can't get a topic started without Mr. 11,000 posts slamming every comment we make.

So what are our choices?

I myself have been on these boards for a while but I hardly ever post anything because A. it will be slammed repeatedly or B. I would just rather read through the mindless drivel that these so called experts with thousands of post have posted.

And while I'm on that topic, what does it take to get thousands of posts, to comment on every topic, don't you guys have lives? Family's? Children?

Proud whitebelt signing out

Oh, and by the way I could care less if someone has 5 or 5,000 posts, If what they have ti say is legit, then I will read it.

Me

maybe you should just ignore those threads that don't interest you instead of wasting your time posting on those threads saying "STFU NOOB" and "WASTELAND!!!11!!!" it's like the film industry, if you don't like the movie, why watch it but whoever responds to the movie, let them deal with it.

Is it post count that we're worried about or post quality? Who cares how many posts people have. We should be worrying about what the content of those posts should be. I've seen people with over 3,000 posts say dumber things than someone with 50.

And please ban Red Wings fans from starting threads.
Seriously, thread quality has nothing to do with belt colour. I've seen yellow and orange belts making crappy threads and comments. Hell, someone might be a white belt for a long tim e simply because they only post when they legitimately have something constructive to say, whereas other idiots will post things that say "I agree" or "+1" or make ridiculous threads like the ones being complained about. There really is no way to regulate this without making the board extremly restrictive, or hirer an excessive amount of moderators.

East Los said:
how about a post cap? 10 post added to your account per day. you can still post after but it will not add to your account!

i think this could work.

if help is needed coding a feature like this into the forums (or anything else that will help make sherdog better) i would be happy to help.

Sean said:
No white belt threads is stupid. It will discourage new members from joining, at thats the last thing Sherdog wants. Plus not all whitebelts make invalid threads, and not all invalid threads are made by white belts. How about just more mods to move or delete them.

I agree 100% on all of this. Not allowing someone to post a thread will greatly diminish traffic through this site. Something that sherdog does NOT want.

This is the internet, stuff like this is goign to happen. The Mods just need to step up and start dealing with it a bit more consistently.

I don't think precluding white belts from posting is the solution. There are terrible threads started by people of all belt colors. This would only discourage people from participating, and the many would suffer for the actions of the few. More moderators would be good solution, though I am not sure how practical that would be (seems easy).

I have seen some good threads started by white belts. I think that many people get frustrated because people don't always use the search function before starting a thread. It is my opinion that if you have already read a similar thread and have nothing contructive to contribute, just don't bother posting the standard "search function" crap response.

Honestly, I see more useless threads from colored belts that signed up last month and postwhore their way into a belt.

Instead of preventing white belts, why not make it so that someone can't start a thread until they have been a member for at least one month.

Or better yet, stop crying and skip the posts you don't like.

Bean99 said:
Seriously, thread quality has nothing to do with belt colour.

I agree that we shouldn't restrict people by belt, but in all honesty it usually is whitebelts that make absurd or overdone threads, simply because they haven't been around long enough to no better. And yes, there are also higher belts that make stupid threads.

Maybe Chuck Liddell was a white belt and got tired of people reading his quality threads and calling him a Newb for no reason. Thats why he says he hates Sherdog now.

I dont think we'd even need this post if the Sherdog Mods enforced the things that they have listed as "Rules". They have a whole thread dedicated to rules yet seem to have no intrest in enforceing any of them.

Who cares. Some of their dumb threads are funny and cause me to laugh uncontrollably. What the mods should do is delete any threads that are there to cause fights like Pride vs. UFC.

black-jack-shalack said:
In the last few months this board has been flooded with stupid ass threads started by white belts who have to be the same people starting new accounts over and over and are clearly on a trolling mission. It's really hurt what was the ebst MMA messge board on the web Please think about changing the rules to keep whiet belts from startign new threads like "Karate beats MMA" and the like that bring nothing to the table and just take up space and drive away quality members. Thank you in advance.

DEAL WITH IT!!!

black-jack-shalack said:
In the last few months this board has been flooded with stupid ass threads started by white belts who have to be the same people starting new accounts over and over and are clearly on a trolling mission. It's really hurt what was the ebst MMA messge board on the web Please think about changing the rules to keep whiet belts from startign new threads like "Karate beats MMA" and the like that bring nothing to the table and just take up space and drive away quality members. Thank you in advance.

My dear silver belt:

Have you ever heard of "Freedom of Speech" and "Freedom of Choice"?

In this case you chose what to read, you can always read the title and ignore.

Is the use of space hurting you and your always enlighten threads? Don

I've said it before and I'll say it again...Bring back Newbietown! Make a new sub forum for new members. After they've been on the board for two months and have atleast 75, allow them to create threads in the other forums. This would help people understand how the forum works and it would reduce trolling a bit. This is the easy way to fix the problem.........but sadly it will never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back