89vision's Kneehab and row to strength log

09-15-2010 bw:191

Bike 20min level 14
Kneehab

Shrug 160x10x5

Lateral raises 15's x 8x2

External rotations 5lbs x 30x2 each arm

9-15-2010

School and going to the gym late fucked up my therapy exercises, only rode the bike and did the hamstring slides. My rationalization is that tendonitis of my graft is at higher risk during this time period so it's ok to go easy some days. :redface:

My leg is strong enough now that biking is hard. Like uphill for 20minutes hard. I am suprised and happy with my muscle endurance in my right leg, as it has significant atrophy from the surgery. But since I can bike hard enough to get some cardiovascular benefit now, I might as well try to target it to my goals. I haven't bothered with much cardio reading, as far as I can tell LSD is far less efficient/useful than high intensity intervals. All I want to do is improve my ability to bike harder longer, and not gas out after 10minutes of intense activity like soccer or judo. And keep the chub at bay. Any tips on those goals? Or links to specific heart rates, interval times, stuff like that.

Miaou, Thanks for the input, again. Poor overall posture throughout my life is definitely the greatest cause of my issues, barring a deformity I don't know about yet. I have the tools to fix it just need to keep consistent, and like you said hold good posture as much as possible. I will try to throw in some scap pushups in at the end of my therapy exercises. I started pretty light on the rows so I could get full ROM, I think I still am but I'll keep it in mind. Chins I'm not as sure about and could improve.
I have a 6" PVC pipe I have used in the past for "foam" rolling, but it is kind of awkward right now with the knee. Plus that shit hurts, lol. The thoracic stretching was one of my therapists suggestions, to hold the backwards arch with arms overhead while laying back on an exercise ball.
Doing external rotations with a 5lb dumbell yesterday told me that my previously injured right shoulder has weaker rotator muscles than the left. Internal rotations are a little harder to perform but I have a light band at home I should be able to set up.

Have you seen this? California Strength Blog, Olympic Weight Lifting Technique, Videos, Interviews, Instruction, Workouts Olympic Weight Lifting Technique Videos
Someone posted it and I thought it was an awesome page/site. Glenn Pendlay goes over the flexibility issues I have in one of the videos. Shoulder dislocates are what he suggests for getting into the overhead snatch position, I also noted progress from them, just need to keep them consistent.

A final question, did you mix up your words or do you correctly refer to vertical pulling as a row and horizontal pulling as a chin?

Yes, that was a mistake. Vertical = chins/pullups/lat pulldowns/SOHP, horizontal = bench/rows/etc. You get the point though!

Shoulder dislocates definitely help. The issue with these is that if you have serious scapular mobility combined with thoracic spine mobility problems, it may cause some amount of impingement and put a lot of stress on your rotator cuff tendons. I would suggest it to someone whose condition is not too bad but I wouldn't suggest it to anyone without being aware of their exact condition, as in some cases it can cause problems. If you do it, make sure it's not painful.

Yes, I though that working on thoracic spine mobility might put more stress on your ACL than you want at the moment. Don't stress your knee, just do it when you are able to. Working on your TS with a foam roller/PVC pipe might be pretty painful at first, but as the vertebrae loosen up it becomes less and less painful (if it's because of the PVC being hard, then just put some padding on it). If the scap pushups are hard on your knee, start doing them like a "single hand wall push" (elbow locked and the ROM comes from scapular movement). Don't worry if it feels too light, the first thing is to get good activation and full ROM.

If you are using a DB for external rotations, make sure you lie on your side. Light bands are more practical for both external and internal rotations.

Any tips on those goals? Or links to specific heart rates, interval times, stuff like that.

Start with reading this series of articles: Methods of Endurance Training Part 1 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

09-16-2010 bw: 192

Bike 20min level 14
Kneehab

Bench 167x5x3
Last 2 rep butt came off, last one was really bad but overall stronger than last week.

CSR 135x4x6

Rear delt flye 80x15x3

Internal rotations 30 per arm

I used very small jumps until this point on bench and I'm about to stall, I am unsure if I should deload and try again or switch up the reps to something with more volume.

CSR was good and I feel I had good ROM. I am getting light headed by the 3rd and 4th reps, then a mini headache after the set as the blood rushes in/out. Probably from being too thin and all the pressure directly on my chest as it is becoming heavy. I never become light headed on other lifts. The padding is very thin on this machine, it is old.

Thanks for the link miaou.
So does foam rolling actually loosen the vertebrae making the spine more flexible? Is this a good thing? I thought it only effected the muscles and associated tendons. Wouldn't foam rolling for the lumbar spine be detrimental if it increased the flexibility there?
I can do scap pushups alright I just put most of my weight on my left leg, but it feels a bit dodgy so I will probably do the wall version for a while. How many should a healthy person be able to do, I feel fatigue starting after 3-5 reps in the prone version. I get 14-15 before I am done for one set. I feel my ROM could be a little better but I can't know for sure.
Dislocates don't hurt at all, I'll assume this is a green light from my shoulders.

A foam roller is usually used for SMR (self-myofascial release; think "self-massage"). Whet you are using a foam roller to work on your thoracic spine mobility, then you are not doing SMR, you are working on your TS mobility (although obviously, you will be rolling your upper back muscles to some extent as well).

Don't use a foam roller for you lumbar spine. You don't want to do that. You want mobility in your TS (thoracic spine), but you want stability in your lumbar spine. If you have kyphosis in your TS, then loosening up the vertebrae of the TS is exactly what you want. (also don't roll your neck!)

09-17-2010 bw:189

Bike 20min weight loss setting level 4
Taking it easy on the intensity today, full of cake and milk.*
Kneehab

Shrugs 160x10x6

Close grip BP*
95x15
95x10x2

Wall scap pushups 20 each arm

Laying down stretch 3x3minutes*

20 dislocates. Width marked

Cg Bp was a lot easier on my elbows and felt like it really worked my triceps well. I'm replacing skullcrushers with this.*

I will attempt to keep the scap pushups and dislocates regular. *
I think overall my body is balancing out from the pulling and facepulls etc, as for a couple weeks my right pec tendons in the center of my chest pop often. It happens when my elbow goes behind my body and pressure is applied (like when you prop up on your side on a forearm. It also happens when I hold something shoulder level in front of my body and increase the angle between my arm and body. (think arm moving up relative to my body)
My collar bones mostly on my left side pop in the morning as well when I contract my scapulae. No pain associated with either. Feels good if you like how popping things feel, I do. My therapist said not to worry as long as there is no pain.*

Miaou, I've done some reading on SMR but I haven't heard of the spinal mobility aspect to foam rolling. Thanks. That is exactly what I thought about the lumbar spine but wasn't sure about the TS. Do you know where to find any articles on this sort of thing, I would be interested in a little education for myself. *Thanks.*

09-20-2010 bw:190

Bike 20min
Kneehab

External/internal rotation 30 each way as warmup

CSR 140x4x6
55x10x2

OHP 95x5x3
65x10

Curls 56x3x8 PR
some negatives

Wall scap "pushups" 3x15 each arm

Laying down thoracic stretch 3x3mins

DOH grip on rows. Been a couple sessions since I did this grip and it is harder(neutral grip is my most comfortable).
Curlzzz PR
Just kidding... but I was thinking about OHP while doing the curls and that I am 2 sessions away from an actual PR. Not very significant at 100 lbs but I stalled at 95 before, and I am going to blow past 100. I should have 3-6 more sessions before stalling. With how shitty my ROM is and my new knowledge of my thoracic issues, I feel good that progress is being made. AND I found out today I can touch my delts in the rack position, but elbows are bad. This is progress though, and the press even felt stronger coming from this position.

Last edited:
09-21-2010 bw:190

Bike 20min
Kneehab

Shrugs 170 x 10 x 4

Pullups 4,4,4,4,4

Weighted overhead stretch on big ass ball. Weight was a padded bar, probably 8-10 lbs. 1-2mins

Overhead stretch 3mins x 2

Dislocates 15 x 2

My chest is popping much less. Pullups felt strong.

09-23-2010 bw:190

Bike 20min hills setting level 11
Kneehab

Internal/external rotations 30 each arm
Couple light rows to warm up back

Bench 170x5x3

CSR. * *level 9 x10x4

CG Bench 95x15x3

Pullovers level 12 x 10 x 4

School gym today so I did lighter high rep rows. Cut my biking in half to save energy for bench. Did the rest at the end.*
Bench was strong, no real struggling. Felt awesome.*

Edit: iphone loves *** apparently

No bike.
Kneehab
30 dislocates
Couple minutes thoracic laying stretch

09-25/09-26-2010

Walked a little over a mile playing disc golf for the first time since surgery. Played left handed, was fun, had some good putts. +19 on 13 holes. Knee is a little sore today(9-26) from the uneven ground or just the amount of walking. Probably good for me, gonna start playing more. Then I stayed up all damn night playing Starcraft 2, so no gym today.

09-27-2010 bw:189

Bike 22min random level 13
Kneehab

Shrugs 170x10x4

Pullups 5,4,4,4,4

Pullups felt ok, still cant touch chest to bar. Very short rests between shrugs and pullups, was alternating. Gonna try for 5,5,4,4,4 next time. 2-3 week goal of 5x5.
Shrugs bothered my right shoulder some, just didnt feel smooth. Maybe i need to warmup better.

09-28-2010 bw: 189

Disc golf 17 holes, 5 pullups as i passed by the bars at the park

Later in the day:
Pullover lvl16x10x4

Pullups 5,5,5,5,5

Bike 15min
Kneehab

lol, retarded goal apparently for the pullups. Hit 5x5 today could have done 10-15 more if I kept going. Probably not sets of 5 but total reps...
Just wanted to see if I could, and I had to do the bike after doing this because they were all taken. That probably factored in a good bit.
New goal will be 5 sets of 7 in 2-3 weeks... we'll see how that goes.

09-29-2010 bw : 189

Bike 5min*

OHP 100x5x3

Neutral grip chins 3,5,3,3

Bike 10min*

Kneehab

OHP keeps feeling better, bar now gets to the back of my head instead of directly over the center of my head

Last edited:
09-30-2010

@3pm bw:190

DB rear delt flye 15lb x 12 x 3
A little too heavy, 12s next time

Dips 10,10

Chins 7,5

2x1min bosu ball weighted overhead stretch. Feels shitty in my shoulders when really locking out elbows

@6pm bw: 188

DB Rear delt flye 12lb x 12 x 3

+12lbs 5
+22 5,4,4

Happy with the chins, especially after doing 12 earlier in the day. I'm interested in what my 1rm for a chin is. I think I could pull off a 25x5, so maybe 40 lbs. I think that is cool, I want a 100lb chin. Possible?? :icon_twis

10-04-2010 bw:187

Bike 10min

Couple rows warm up

Bench 175x5x3

CSR level 11 x 15 x 4

CG BP 100x10x3

Bike 5mins
kneehab

Jumped 5lbs on bench because I felt I could, and it's been like 12 days since I benched. Went well, no real struggles. I'm surprised I haven't stalled yet, cool. Minor discomfort in right shoulder when rowing after. Probably losing back tightness. Wanted to do 3x15 for close grip BP but was out of time

Notes to self - keep shoulder blades together and DOWN, dont push bar up push back into the bench, bend bar

Last edited:
10-05-2010 bw: 186

Bike 10min

Curlz 50 lb x 10, 8, 8
35lb x 15

Pull ups 6,5,4,2

Bike 5min

Kneehab

Laying overhead stretch on pvc roller, 2x 2min

10-06-2010 bw: 187

Bike 5min

OHP 102x5x3