The real question is, who was closer to getting finished? Volk or Ortega?

The Legendary Scarface

Record since UFC 266 : 51-34
@Black
Reaction score
First of all, let's get this out of the way :

There's literally NO REASONABLE ARGUMENT for Ortega winning that round.

Ortega had Volk in the guillotine for 26 seconds, and the triangle for 23 seconds.
Every other second of that fight was either Volk getting the better of him on the feet or landing vicious GnP.

Volk won 4 minutes
Ortega won 1 minute

Volk landed more damage
Volk landed more significant strikes

And just in case people forgot, Ortega couldn't even get up after the round was over.

THAT SAID....

Even though it serves no purpose at all, I think the real question to ask for this 3rd Round is Who was closer to being finished?
That's an interesting debate IMO...

Discuss

It's absolutely astounding that Volkanovski went from nearly being finished twice within like 90 seconds to earning arguably back-to-back 10-8 rounds, one of them being the one in which he was nearly finished.
To answer your question, I'd say Volk. Guys have survived vicious GNP before. I don't know if there are 5 guys in the history of the sport who could have escaped 2 fully locked-in submissions by a guy with as high-level jitz as Ortega. Imagine if Nog broke out of the Mir kimura right before his arm snapped, and then escaped from a Mir armbar that almost ended up like the Sylvia one. Absolute insanity.

The choke was as tight as it gets. But, in the overall did no damage whatsoever. What Alex did at the end of the round, was fight altering. He beat the piss out of Ortega, and his corner saved him from an obvious tko. I just wish Ortega had been on the other side of the cage. How would they sugarcoat that?

No, one guy was fine after “almost getting finished”. The other guy was half dead. There is no comparison.

Clearly Ortega. Did you see how he looked before getting up at the end of Volk's GNP beating? The ref probably could have stopped that. Ortega had a look of "Man I think I've had enough".

ortega because he almost didn't make it out of 3rd....

The were both very, very close to being finished. That said, Volkanovski inflicted much more damage, and he clearly won round 3.

The only debatable round is Round 5 imo.

Volk didnt just kick his ass. He took his soul. If he ever comes back it will be years down the line, mark my words.

Volk fought himself out of trouble, Brian got saved by the bell, his corner and the ref.

I would still say Volkanovski was closer to finishing. It looked like he KOed Ortega very briefly with ground and pound but Ortega woke back up before the ref noticed. Ortega was also dragged back onto his stool and might not have been able to do so unassisted which would have been a TKO win for Volkanovski.

Ortega actually was finished, by the rules of the sport. He could neither get back to his corner under his own power, nor answer the bell ready within 60 seconds (he was given an additional minute to recover his wits).

The incompetent or corrupt Herb Dean simply decided to ignore the rules and allow Brian extra time to recover.

Good on Ortega for having the heart to bounce back and fight so hard after being finished, but he was done within the time limits and standards the fight rules allowed him.

Last edited:
First of all, let's get this out of the way :

There's literally NO REASONABLE ARGUMENT for Ortega winning that round.

Ortega had Volk in the guillotine for 26 seconds, and the triangle for 23 seconds.
Every other second of that fight was either Volk getting the better of him on the feet or landing vicious GnP.

Volk won 4 minutes
Ortega won 1 minute

Volk landed more damage
Volk landed more significant strikes

And just in case people forgot, Ortega couldn't even get up after the round was over.

THAT SAID....

Even though it serves no purpose at all, I think the real question to ask for this 3rd Round is Who was closer to being finished?
That's an interesting debate IMO...

Discuss
In b4 moral victory

Technically Ortega got TKO’d since his corner had to lift him off the mat.

Volk got it done with that viscous GnP

Oretega easily. Volk got out of the subs on his own, Ortega needed the bell, then his corner to pull his lifeless body onto the stool, then get an extended recovery time answering questions.

Volk was really close to being finished but it's hard to argue against Ortega when his corpse needed to be revived after the round ended.

Back