The real question is, who was closer to getting finished? Volk or Ortega?

Probably the guy who couldn't stand up after the 3rd round and had to have the Doctor called in for him

Ortega should have lost by finish. His corner had no business getting him up when he couldn't get up by himself in the end of the third round. It's illegal

Bro.. Ortega was in fact finished.

He could not stand up after the round ended and his team picked him up which is cheating #1.
Then the doctor came and they lost time with a spanish translator because he was out of there. Cheating #2.

Only thing that made this fight competitive was Volkanovski taking chances. Brian had nothing for him.

It's absolutely astounding that Volkanovski went from nearly being finished twice within like 90 seconds to earning arguably back-to-back 10-8 rounds, one of them being the one in which he was nearly finished.
To answer your question, I'd say Volk. Guys have survived vicious GNP before. I don't know if there are 5 guys in the history of the sport who could have escaped 2 fully locked-in submissions by a guy with as high-level jitz as Ortega. Imagine if Nog broke out of the Mir kimura right before his arm snapped, and then escaped from a Mir armbar that almost ended up like the Sylvia one. Absolute insanity.
Cant be 10-8 if you almost got finished 2x.i had that round 10-9 for volk still

Ortega. He was pretty much on autopilot and a decent punch away from being completely out.

Ortega actually was finished, by the rules of the sport. He could neither get back to his corner under his own power, nor answer the bell ready within 60 seconds (he was given an additional minute to recover his wits).

The incompetent or corrupt Herb Dean simply decided to ignore the rules and allow Brian extra time to recover.

Good on Ortega for having the heart to bounce back and fight so hard after being finished, but he was done within the time limits and standards the fight rules allowed him.

That was purely self preservation.

Cant be 10-8 if you almost got finished 2x.i had that round 10-9 for volk still

Triangle wasn't that close but the gullioteen makes it a 10-9. The issue is he really should have been tkoed.

I had money on Volk by finish. It might have been my hopes and dreams, but I seriously believe Ortega was unconcious briefly from the gnp. That was the round he couldn’t stand up afterwards. I thought for sure Volk would finish him but he kind of cruised in the fifth. Can’t blame him, but my wallets lighter because of it.

Volk was closer to being finished i think , that being said of course Volks last minute flurry of ground and pound had more impact on the overall fight and gave him the RD. But even Volk himself said he was literally thinking "this is it im losing my title" when he was in that guillotine . amazing that he survived , finish strong and got a 10-8 in the 4th .

Triangle wasn't that close but the gullioteen makes it a 10-9. The issue is he really should have been tkoed.
I would agree it wouldve made it a clear 10-9 without the last 30 seconds , with that you kinda gotta give it to Volk though .

I had money on Volk by finish. It might have been my hopes and dreams, but I seriously believe Ortega was unconcious briefly from the gnp. That was the round he couldn’t stand up afterwards. I thought for sure Volk would finish him but he kind of cruised in the fifth. Can’t blame him, but my wallets lighter because of it.

Same.

I had a range of bets on this fight. Ended up $10 down, if he was finished would have been up $200.

I'd like to think this doesn't sway my position on him being allowed/forced to continue but who knows.

Same.

I had a range of bets on this fight. Ended up $10 down, if he was finished would have been up $200.

I'd like to think this doesn't sway my position on him being allowed/forced to continue but who knows.
Then ofds were crazy for a Volk finish, I had a coupledollars on a finish in each round after the first

Back