Can we talk HW? Daukaus-Bigi

Vampire life

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I like what I see with Chris . Looks like his conditioning is UFC level now. deceptively fast hands with decent power . I think the kid has potential.
Bigi looked like crap and I don't mean that as an insult, just on performances in his last 3 fights . Like he's on cruise control, waiting for the counter opportunity which never comes . I know when guys put on boring efforts, Dana's head turns a new shade of purple- maybe magenta.
Daukaus VS Bigi boy
Loser leaves town.

I like what I see with Chris . Looks like his conditioning is UFC level now. deceptively fast hands with decent power . I think the kid has potential.
Bigi looked like crap and I don't mean that as an insult, just on performances in his last 3 fights . Like he's on cruise control, waiting for the counter opportunity which never comes . I know when guys put on boring efforts, Dana's head turns a new shade of purple- maybe magenta.
Daukaus VS Bigi boy
Loser leaves town.

<Varys01>

Why the hell would a single loss for one of the division's most promising prospects to a man who can casually jab you and send your head into the third row mean immediately cutting said prospect? Bigi Boi you could have a slightly better argument for considering he's 2-3 in his last five, but the guy still has potential for decent fights in a talent-starved division IMO.

As for the fight, I think it would be a case of pretty bad matchmaking on the UFC's part if they really want to protect and push Daukaus. Bigi Boi is a terrible stylistic matchup for Chris. I say that as someone who is a fan of his and wants to see where he'll go. But we just saw him get outboxed for about 85% of the first round by 40-year-old Shamil motherfucking Abdurakhimov coming off a 2-year layoff because he couldn't handle a big flat-footed dude who stood there waiting to counter him without giving him any good reads until popping him. Jair -- for all his faults: always being on the back foot, being super gun-shy, having terrible output, etc. -- is actually a solid counter-striker with good timing and can be frustrating to fight for many of the same reasons. Furthermore, he has a solid chin. Francis is the only one to crack it in MMA and in 85 kickboxing matches he only got finished twice. Daukaus has been knocked out twice by fighters on the regional scene.

Rozenstruik would also have an advantage of kicks, something Chris doesn't employ. Jair has used high kicks and leg kicks, with the latter potentially being a big tool in his arsenal against someone as boxing-heavy as Daukaus. Chris is supposedly a solid grappler and has a BJJ Black Belt. To his credit, he does train primarily out of a BJJ gym. He defended against Oleinik pretty well for what that's worth. But he only has one submission victory, has been submitted on the regional scene, and never really seems to employ his ground game like his brother. He doesn't have a wrestling background. Maybe it's a skill in his back pocket. Beyond that, however, the only thing we can say for sure that Chris has in his arsenal in a hypothetical bout with Bigi Boi is his obscene speed -- both in terms of footwork and hand speed. I could see him trying to blitz in and out and land combinations, maybe dirty box a bit... but that's a dangerous game. He might be better served trying to get takedowns or at least threaten them. It would legitimately only take one mistake. His conditioning looked really good against Shamil. I was afraid he had emptied the tank at the end of Round 1, but he was never even breathing heavy even in the post-fight interview. But Rozenstruik carries his power throughout a five-round fight.

Nah make Rozenstruik - Lewis

That's a fight I've wanted to see for a while, but it could very easily become a staring match. Jair looked like he might be turning over a new leaf in the Sakai fight in terms of going forward and throwing hands and finishing dudes, but then Blaydes happened. A lot of people would hope for Derrick Lewis to move forward and bring the heat, but Ciryl Gane just happened to him and we all saw how he reacted to that onslaught in front of his hometown crowd.

<Varys01>

Why the hell would a single loss for one of the division's most promising prospects to a man who can casually jab you and send your head into the third row mean immediately cutting said prospect? Bigi Boi you could have a slightly better argument for considering he's 2-3 in his last five, but the guy still has potential for decent fights in a talent-starved division IMO.

As for the fight, I think it would be a case of pretty bad matchmaking on the UFC's part if they really want to protect and push Daukaus. Bigi Boi is a terrible stylistic matchup for Chris. I say that as someone who is a fan of his and wants to see where he'll go. But we just saw him get outboxed for about 85% of the first round by 40-year-old Shamil motherfucking Abdurakhimov coming off a 2-year layoff because he couldn't handle a big flat-footed dude who stood there waiting to counter him without giving him any good reads until popping him. Jair -- for all his faults: always being on the back foot, being super gun-shy, having terrible output, etc. -- is actually a solid counter-striker with good timing and can be frustrating to fight for many of the same reasons. Furthermore, he has a solid chin. Francis is the only one to crack it in MMA and in 85 kickboxing matches he only got finished twice. Daukaus has been knocked out twice by fighters on the regional scene.

Rozenstruik would also have an advantage of kicks, something Chris doesn't employ. Jair has used high kicks and leg kicks, with the latter potentially being a big tool in his arsenal against someone as boxing-heavy as Daukaus. Chris is supposedly a solid grappler and has a BJJ Black Belt. To his credit, he does train primarily out of a BJJ gym. He defended against Oleinik pretty well for what that's worth. But he only has one submission victory, has been submitted on the regional scene, and never really seems to employ his ground game like his brother. He doesn't have a wrestling background. Maybe it's a skill in his back pocket. Beyond that, however, the only thing we can say for sure that Chris has in his arsenal in a hypothetical bout with Bigi Boi is his obscene speed -- both in terms of footwork and hand speed. I could see him trying to blitz in and out and land combinations, maybe dirty box a bit... but that's a dangerous game. He might be better served trying to get takedowns or at least threaten them. It would legitimately only take one mistake. His conditioning looked really good against Shamil. I was afraid he had emptied the tank at the end of Round 1, but he was never even breathing heavy even in the post-fight interview. But Rozenstruik carries his power throughout a five-round fight.

That's a fight I've wanted to see for a while, but it could very easily become a staring match. Jair looked like he might be turning over a new leaf in the Sakai fight in terms of going forward and throwing hands and finishing dudes, but then Blaydes happened. A lot of people would hope for Derrick Lewis to move forward and bring the heat, but Ciryl Gane just happened to him and we all saw how he reacted to that onslaught in front of his hometown crowd.
Sham I’ll is no joke, 2 years off or not, so it was a quality win. I don’t remember bigi throwing kicks tho…calf kicks..maybe I’m wrong . But the fights he’s lost lately, he looked terrible. Gun shy, hesitant, loading up on his right, waiting to counter .. I agree that Chris should and maybe would use his bjj to maul and gas bigi, which doesn’t seem that hard to do. 2 kos with Chris on the regional is acceptable, because it’s hw.
Good post

Daukaus keeps getting people at the right time when it comes to the rankings imo. Caught Oleinik when he finally seemed to turn shot, then caught Shamil coming off a long layoff. A guy who's been active like Bigi would be interesting. I'd also be interested in the Volkov/Tybura winner.

Sham I’ll is no joke, 2 years off or not, so it was a quality win. I don’t remember bigi throwing kicks tho…calf kicks..maybe I’m wrong . But the fights he’s lost lately, he looked terrible. Gun shy, hesitant, loading up on his right, waiting to counter .. I agree that Chris should and maybe would use his bjj to maul and gas bigi, which doesn’t seem that hard to do. 2 kos with Chris on the regional is acceptable, because it’s hw.
Good post

Shamil is absolutely a decent win and a good step up in competition, but even at his peak he was no world-beater. What are his best accomplishments in the promotion? Almost winning a Decision over Derrick Lewis via wrestlefuck before getting KTFO in the championship rounds in typical Lewis fashion? Finishing perennial journeyman Chase Sherman? Winning a Decision over a past-prime Andrei Arlovski? Winning a Split over Walt Harris? Finishing Marcin Tybura back before he found himself and went on his roll as of late? Again, these are some decent accomplishments, but nothing that really suggests an elite contender. And this was back when he was in his "prime": before Blaydes pounded him through the canvas in a fight Shamil looked pretty bad in and after which he subsequently took two years off, suffering from multiple injuries/illnesses that caused him to drop out of multiple scheduled bouts.

Rozenstruik is not an elite Heavyweight either, don't get me wrong. I don't disagree with you there. He is absolutely flawed. He has zero output and obstinately refuses to move forward for 95% of the bout and throw his hands... but if what we just saw is any indication, that style might actually give Chris fits. If nothing else, Jair is an explosive, dangerous counter-striker. And yes -- while Jair is not known as a dangerous leg-kicker, he has thrown low kicks before in previous bouts and I suspect he would against Chris as well.

I don't give Daukaus too much flak as others do for his early career losses because I believe fighters can and do develop as they go on and I think Chris is an example of that. I was only illustrating that he would be exceedingly vulnerable to Rozen's power coming in. Again, I want to stress that I'm a big fan of both Daukaus brothers and consider them exciting prospects... but I also acknowledge their weaknesses where I see them.

Last edited:
Shamil is absolutely a decent win and a good step up in competition, but even at his peak he was no world-beater. What are his best accomplishments in the promotion? Almost winning a Decision over Derrick Lewis via wrestlefuck before getting KTFO in the championship rounds in typical Lewis fashion? Finishing perennial journeyman Chase Sherman? Winning a Decision over a past-prime Andrei Arlovski? Winning a Split over Walt Harris? Finishing Marcin Tybura back before he found himself and went on his roll as of late? Again, these are some decent accomplishments, but nothing that really suggests an elite contender. And this was back when he was in his "prime": before Blaydes pounded him through the canvas in a fight Shamil looked pretty bad in and after which he subsequently took two years off, suffering from multiple injuries/illnesses that caused him to drop out of multiple scheduled bouts.

Rozenstruik is not an elite Heavyweight either, don't get me wrong. I don't disagree with you there. He is absolutely flawed. He has zero output and obstinately refuses to move forward for 95% of the bout and throw his hands... but if what we just saw is any indication, that style might actually give Chris fits. If nothing else, Jair is an explosive, dangerous counter-striker. And yes -- while Jair is not known as a dangerous leg-kicker, he has thrown low kicks before in previous bouts and I suspect he would against Chris as well.

I don't give Daukaus too much flak as others do for his early career losses because I believe fighters can and do develop as they go on and I think Chris is an example of that. I was only illustrating that he would be exceedingly vulnerable to Rozen's power coming in. Again, I want to stress that I'm a big fan of both Daukaus brothers and consider them exciting prospects... but I also acknowledge their weaknesses where I see them.
Dude

Back