Fights to Make After UFC Fight Night Allen vs Curtis II

DDP was not champ when Rob fought so he was fighting down. Robs last 3 and soon to be 4 have all been fighting down. Although I do agree that his upward mobility has been better than Jared's. Why do you think it's jammed up? it's cause of Izzy and DDP. If DDP ran it back with Sean first and Izzy fought down while he waited we wouldn't be in this predicament.
Well I couldn’t agree less with any of this at all.

First off when you’re the number one contender and you’ve lost to the champ in title fighters you are going to fight down. Just like max, just like Joe B. Whittaker should not be allowed to fight up at this point in time. He’s had his chances he lost, He tried to keep his spot in line reserved with the DDP fight, he lost. He’d have fought Strickland for the title after he beat DDP. And I don’t think rob should get a title fight with a win over khamzat either.

You're only looking at the number of wins instead of who they're fighting. Beating someone in the top 5 is worth more than beating a bunch of top 10-15 guys. Having a 3 fight win streak against guys in the top 5 is worth just as much as Brendan Allens 8 wins or whatever fighting low ranked guys.

Leon Edwards, Khabib and Islam say Hi. no top 5 wins going into title fight all champs.

there are two paths to the title, Long and easy or short and hard. you cannot fault allen for his opponents pulling out. Leon gets to fight Nate diaz, Khabib gets to fight Iaquinta and barboza, Islam gets to fight dan hooker and bobby green, they all broke through. Even Illa gets a title shot from a fraud like Emmet who really isn't elite at FW.

Allen was ranked 6th and has just come off a win. Here you are, arguing he should fight down some more, Meanwhile poor poor robert whittaker has to fight down again :( awwwww man, maybe if he didn't lose to Izzy twice and get knocked out a fight ago he could fight for the title but he didn't stop trying to gift whittaker something he simply does not deserve.

Again, I do not think Allen wins against anyone ranked higher than him at MW. But he earned the chance to prove it just like Cannonier did when he fought rob.

Last edited:

I like the vast majority of these. In particular I think Walker vs. Peterson is a good one. Both are plodding Heavyweights who like to use their wrestling in order to bully other HWs who don't know the first thing about grappling, but are suspect in many areas. Both 0-1 as you said, despite taking their debut opponents to competitive Decisions.

Personally I think Jackson and Morono deserve higher-level opponents, but that's just me quibbling. I also like the idea of putting Charriere against someone like, say... Darren Elkins. He's a middle ground between some totally unproven rando like Zecchini and someone who seems to have a fair amount of momentum like Mariscal. He also has that same scrappy, 100% pressure, dogged, "not a single backwards step" approach as Mariscal so it would let us see if Morgan can triumph over that with a slight step down in competition albeit against a proven vet.

Allen ain't for real.

he goes no further in the MW division. No one ranked ahead of him would lose to him.

I think he has the goods to beat Vettori, especially in a three-round bout. Marvin is decidedly mediocre, coming off an undisclosed injury, and just took a career-worst beating in his last outing. Hell, he nearly got outstruck by Dolidze of all people.

I like the vast majority of these. In particular I think Walker vs. Peterson is a good one. Both are plodding Heavyweights who like to use their wrestling in order to bully other HWs who don't know the first thing about grappling, but are suspect in many areas. Both 0-1 as you said, despite taking their debut opponents to competitive Decisions.

Personally I think Jackson and Morono deserve higher-level opponents, but that's just me quibbling. I also like the idea of putting Charriere against someone like, say... Darren Elkins. He's a middle ground between some totally unproven rando like Zecchini and someone who seems to have a fair amount of momentum like Mariscal. He also has that same scrappy, 100% pressure, dogged, "not a single backwards step" approach as Mariscal so it would let us see if Morgan can triumph over that with a slight step down in competition albeit against a proven vet.

I think he has the goods to beat Vettori, especially in a three-round bout. Marvin is decidedly mediocre, coming off an undisclosed injury, and just took a career-worst beating in his last outing. Hell, he nearly got outstruck by Dolidze of all people.

Elkins would be a real test for Charriere if Charriere isn't able to just shut him down with strikes early - which a lot of people have failed to do, obviously. I'd like to see if Morgan has the heart to gut through to a decision and actually win convincingly. Good call! Pretty much agree with the comment about Jackson and Morono too, to be honest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
This Island Earth
Back