Do you consider Dustin a former champion?

PlatinumColbyCovington

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
- beat a FW with no prior LW fights to win a meaningless interim LW belt
- only fought for the interim title because of Khabib's suspension (provoked by an expert at mind games, Danis)
- dominated by Khabib and failed to unify the belt

I think Dustin needs to go on a diet and go for the FW belt.. he was never the LW champ and unfortunately won't ever be.. his only shot at true gold is going down and beating Max a third time..otherwise he'll never have been a true champion.. plus it's not enough for your legacy to be known as a former interim champion, especially since the UFC is handing them out like participation trophies these days!

Maybe if you consider Colby a current champion

UFC titles are irrelevant now. The BMF title will save us all

- beat a FW with no prior LW fights to win a meaningless interim LW belt
- only fought for the interim title because of Khabib's suspension (provoked by an expert at mind games, Danis)
- dominated by Khabib and failed to unify the belt

I think Dustin needs to go on a diet and go for the FW belt.. he was never the LW champ and unfortunately won't ever be.. his only shot at true gold is going down and beating Max a third time..otherwise he'll never have been a true champion.. plus it's not enough for your legacy to be known as a former interim champion, especially since the UFC is handing them out like participation trophies these days!

He beat belt holding FW Champ and P4P ranked Max Holloway who was on something like a 14 win streak, that took a championship calibre to do.

Did you consider Khabib Champ when he beat #11 Iaquinta for the belt and Iaquinta's only win in the previous 3 years was Diego Sanchez....

You have the belt (Champion), marketing tool (Interim champion) and the participation trophy (BMF belt).

The interim champion title is meaningless and doesn't mean anything. It should mean that you are guaranteed a title shot, but we've seen that's not the case.

Pains me to say it since I'm a big fan and it's what he worked for for so long, but no, I don't.

No, this wasn't a case where an interim title was needed.

And Khabib wasn't provoked by some expert mind games. His mental failure was him just not being able to cope with generic trash talk.

i did when tony was interm. same for carlos condit and shane carwin. yes i pick and chose based on who i like more.

Interim Champ just means you're the #1 contender, especially nowadays where they book matches over the Interim Title all the time

So no, he technically isn't a former champion.

You walk into any UFC fighter's house, and you'll see a belt in their display case. Until you beat the actual champ, interim doesn't mean shiBe (even if you do the Tony Ferguson and do the belt motion to the camera every chance you get).

source.gif

Sadly no, although he is champ caliber no doubt. Eddie Alvarez was the "legit" champ not so long ago. Sometimes being a former champ means jack shit. You tell me who the better fighter is, Tony Ferguson or Eddie Alvarez.

Back