'300' was a work; Persians were more democratic than Spartans

Yep. They comprised their army of homosexuals, because it was thought that the soldiers would fight harder, if they were fighting alongside their lovers.

Gay as fuck.

NTTAWWT.
Then Sherdoggers should be a formidable opponent for any heterosexual army.

I think that this video is framed with a very specific narrative in mind.

Also when the guy implies that "Athens wasn't really a democracy, since women couldn't vote, only citizens could and Socrates was executed for his thoughts", well he just lost credibility right there.

Obviously modern western democracy is more democratic than ancient Athens, but ancient Athens was the most democratic regime of its time AND was pretty much the first of its kind.

What a stupid comment......FFS women were not given the right to vote in the West until the mid-20th century. Does this mean that the West was a tyrany until 50 years ago ?

SJWs love this kind of stupid relativism.

Oh and BTW the Spartans were oligarchic and therefore not democratic, ok. But still more democratic than fuckin Persia, which was an absolute monarchy.

Sparta's elite voted on every important questions and there were 3 spartan kings, while in Persia the emperor had the only say and could decide of life of death at the snap of a finger.

Really, this video is ridiculous.

I think that this video is framed with a very specific narrative in mind.

Also when the guy implies that "Athens wasn't really a democracy, since women couldn't vote, only citizens could and Socrates was executed for his thoughts", well he just lost credibility right there.

Obviously modern western democracy is more democratic than ancient Athens, but ancient Athens was the most democratic regime of its time AND was pretty much the first of its kind.

What a stupid comment......FFS women were not given the right to vote in the West until the mid-20th century. Does this mean that the West was a tyrany until 50 years ago ?

SJWs love this kind of stupid relativism.

Oh and BTW the Spartans were oligarchic and therefore not democratic, ok. But still more democratic than fuckin Persia, which was an absolute monarchy.

Sparta's elite voted on every important questions and there were 3 spartan kings, while in Persia the emperor had the only say and could decide of life of death at the snap of a finger.

Really, this video is ridiculous.

Agreed. Judging ancient democracies from a 21st century stand point is beyond stupid.

There wouldn't even be democracy without Athens. They came up with the concept. That loser would be chained to someone's throne eating their scraps off the floor if that city state had come up with the template for all modern democracy.

why would i refute it? I didn't disagree with it.

The only thing i wish he had mention is that it was based on the great war of Ants v Grasshoppers in 2777 -- in which the lord emperor 8 legs (crowned for his additional legs) violently and valiantly fought off mass hordes of angry evil Grasshoppers hell bent on stealing the sugar reserves. Of course this happened 200 years ago, well at least to us -- fortunately, you have no recollection of this because god still has you tethered to his matrix -- in order to protect you from 3-dimensional shapes; that, if you are exposed to, would cause a cataclysmic meltdown of all things. But, if you awaken, do not be startled -- because it is all just a conspiracy -- started by the evil men of science -- who are actually cats -- but they are flat; flat cats, so they will be of comfort to you.

All that to agree that space is fake. A lot of dedication.

All that to agree that space is fake. A lot of dedication.

No, all that to agree your god has taken the form of E.Abbott to protect you from 3-Dimensional objects. I just went to a bit more effort to explain it to you.

PokzG9p.gif

Agreed. Judging ancient democracies from a 21st century stand point is beyond stupid.

There wouldn't even be democracy without Athens. They came up with the concept. That loser would be chained to someone's throne eating their scraps off the floor if that city state had come up with the template for all modern democracy.

Yeah and by this guy's logic one could prove that Russia is more democratic than the USA, while we all know that that would be bullshit :

"And while Russia feeds and shelters its worst criminals, the USA just executes them".

It's so intellectually dishonest when people make such shortcuts because they bank on people's ignorance of the subject at hand and just take examples out of context, like I just did in my example, or like he just did with Athens.

But I guess that discrediting western cultures is the hipster thing to do these days, even if it flies in the face of actual history.

Yeah and by this guy's logic one could prove that Russia is more democratic than the USA, while we all know that that would be bullshit :

"And while Russia feeds and shelters its worst criminals, the USA just executes them".

It's so intellectually dishonest when people make such shortcuts because they bank on people's ignorance of the subject at hand and just take examples out of context, like I just did in my example, or like he just did with Athens.

I get what your saying but this is a bad example. USA must have the highest incarceration rate in the world.

But I guess that discrediting western cultures is the hipster thing to do these days, even if it flies in the face of actual history.

That type of hipster mentality isn't so bad. It is needed from time to time: the Roman Catholic Church made tax-collecting fundamental and yet in certain Catholic countries bishops and priests can get rich while not being beholden to any tax.

And I think the whole point of the video is to think critically of things presented in media. We have a certain view of Persia thanks to western media outlets Hollywood/CNN, but even historical documents like textbooks can be subjective. I assume most of our understanding of Ancient Persia had been greatly influenced by western historians.

Last edited:
interesting overview but is hindered with a narrator thats comes off as a SJW trying to crap on harmless things people enjoy.

Also, he looks like the type who would call in sick with a paper cut.
Yeah, :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:s. Get out of here with your facts and accurate history. We all know Persians are evil incarnate and nobody should ever point out when a Jewish guy makes a movie, the historical context of which incorrectly portrays brown people as blood thirsty warlords. Because all is real people know that is what they are. Right?

It is super telling that so many of your have such a problem with this guy basically saying brown people weren't necessarily the bad guys in history.

It is super telling that so many of your have such a problem with this guy basically saying brown people weren't necessarily the bad guys in history.

If trolling then 4.5/10 for bringing skin colour into this, which is irrelevant.

If serious then go pick up a history book or two.

The vid is simply outrageously misguided for implying that Persia was more democratic than Athens.

This just reinforces my belief that listening to anyone convey ancient history as fact needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

If trolling then 4.5/10 for bringing skin colour into this, which is irrelevant.

The vid is simply outrageously misguided for implying that Persia was more democratic than Athens.

The video was mostly about contrasting Persia with Sparta though.

And there is no doubt in the mind of anyone the list bit knowledgeable of history that if you were living in 480 BC as an average guy, you would've been a whole order of magnitude better off living as a subject of the Persian King of Kings that you would living in Sparta.

Dan Carlin''s hardcore history podcast has an awesome series about the Persians. The third installment covers this battle and the politics in depth. It's called King of kings.

So the premise of the video is that brown people throughout history haven't been evil? No, it's that Persia was more democratic than Athens.

Keep on calling out all those racists though lol. The idea of good guys and bad guys in history is, for the most part, completely fucking moronic.

The video was mostly about contrasting Persia with Sparta though.

And there is no doubt in the mind of anyone the list bit knowledgeable of history that if you were living in 480 BC as an average guy, you would've been a whole order of magnitude better off living as a subject of the Persian King of Kings that you would living in Sparta.

I don t disagree with that statement.

If by the average guy you mean a hilote, i.e. pretty much a peasant slave.

I mentioned Athens because the vid also did and shit the bed.

I get what your saying but this is a bad example. USA must have the highest incarceration rate in the world.

That type of hipster mentality isn't so bad. It is needed from time to time: the Roman Catholic Church made tax-collecting fundamental and yet in certain Catholic countries bishops and priests can get rich while not being beholden to any tax.

And I think the whole point of the video is to think critically of things presented in media. We have a certain view of Persia thanks to western media outlets Hollywood/CNN, but even historical documents like textbooks can be subjective. I assume most of our understanding of Ancient Persia had been greatly influenced by western historians.

Well no, I find that it is a good example precisely because of that.

One must have an overall picture to compare two countries, because in isolation there will always be a few factors that make a country appear terrible, just like America's carceral situation.

Not even close. No army (romos or not) has anything on Sherdoggers. They're nothing but a bunch of lay n' pray canlets. Sherdoggers are at the minimum:
  • 6'5
  • 300lbs
  • 4% bodyfat
  • 15" peen
  • trains teh UFC
  • 500-0-1 street fighting god
  • secks Boise + LA dimes for 144h straight non-stop

It's 50/50. I'm kind of trolling but also, it is very telling that the people in here can't wrap their heads around anything other than "mid-easterners are bad, westerners are good."

Yeah, form your opinion based on a Hollywood movie and a stupid youtube video

Don't do any actual research on this or read books. Why bother with that?

Back