'300' was a work; Persians were more democratic than Spartans

At least he didn't reveal that they weren't really shredded to hell and back. They still got those washboard abs.

Yeah the movie wasn't accurate about persians. I didn't see any selling pagers

Hillary lost because she followed the Persian battle plan.

In the film I do remember the Persian King offering Leonidas peace and making him more powerful than ever, I think he said ruler of Greece?

Sounds like a sweet deal to me, cool guy.

It's 50/50. I'm kind of trolling but also, it is very telling that the people in here can't wrap their heads around anything other than "mid-easterners are bad, westerners are good."

I am not sure that I saw that ITT (while I do agree that that behaviour tends to be prevalent, here).

I agree that Sparta was poorly represented in 300. But please conceed that the vid is horse shit, at least the part about Athens.

In the movie 300, the Persians were basically Orcs, lol

The movie is supposed to be about how the Greeks saw themselves and how they saw their enemy, it's like a propaganda film, the narrator mentions about how the whole thing is just supposed to be a rousing story and it's so over the top one-sided that I'd hope most people would figure out what the movie was

also Persians are monsters

Yes that is quite true. The Greeks even thought war rape is ok.

That actually is common in war. Rape of local women is just what happens. However you're right. I mean the Greeks were totally okay with Bro rape. Lol.

I am not sure that I saw that ITT (while I do agree that that behaviour tends to be prevalent, here).

I agree that Sparta was poorly represented in 300. But please conceed that the vid is horse shit, at least the part about Athens.
I would have to actually watch the video then.

I would have to actually watch the video then.

Isn't there a joke in one of the 300 movies about how the Athenians and their democracy can talk while they would fight?

Yeah, :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:s. Get out of here with your facts and accurate history. We all know Persians are evil incarnate and nobody should ever point out when a Jewish guy makes a movie, the historical context of which incorrectly portrays brown people as blood thirsty warlords. Because all is real people know that is what they are. Right?

I didn't disagree with his facts, just that his narrative seemed geared toward sanctimonious preachy -- as if people take the movie seriously or this is a direct injustice against Persians.

Lol, but don't get over yourself, your immediate reaction to white Knight harmless comments is quite amusing

Oh, and im pretty sure Greeks of the time would be fairly brown themselves

I didn't disagree with his facts, just that his narrative seemed geared toward sanctimonious preachy -- as if people take the movie seriously or this is a direct injustice against Persians.

Lol, but don't get over yourself, your immediate reaction to white Knight harmless comments is quite amusing

Oh, and im pretty sure Greeks of the time would be fairly brown themselves

they were olive....descended from green martians

I think that this video is framed with a very specific narrative in mind.

Also when the guy implies that "Athens wasn't really a democracy, since women couldn't vote, only citizens could and Socrates was executed for his thoughts", well he just lost credibility right there.

Obviously modern western democracy is more democratic than ancient Athens, but ancient Athens was the most democratic regime of its time AND was pretty much the first of its kind.

What a stupid comment......FFS women were not given the right to vote in the West until the mid-20th century. Does this mean that the West was a tyrany until 50 years ago ?

SJWs love this kind of stupid relativism.

Oh and BTW the Spartans were oligarchic and therefore not democratic, ok. But still more democratic than fuckin Persia, which was an absolute monarchy.

Sparta's elite voted on every important questions and there were 3 spartan kings, while in Persia the emperor had the only say and could decide of life of death at the snap of a finger.

Really, this video is ridiculous.

You are talking about city-states vs a massive empire, of course a massive empire needed to have a central authority.

That being said the Persians gave far more freedoms and benefits to its provinces than particular greek city-states.

Thats why after Alexander conquered Persia he adopted the Persian satrapy system.

I get what your saying but this is a bad example. USA must have the highest incarceration rate in the world.

That type of hipster mentality isn't so bad. It is needed from time to time: the Roman Catholic Church made tax-collecting fundamental and yet in certain Catholic countries bishops and priests can get rich while not being beholden to any tax.

And I think the whole point of the video is to think critically of things presented in media. We have a certain view of Persia thanks to western media outlets Hollywood/CNN, but even historical documents like textbooks can be subjective. I assume most of our understanding of Ancient Persia had been greatly influenced by western historians.

Our understanding of Ancient world is influenced by greek historians because they were the ones at the time who were writting stuff, that being said you dont create such a large long lasting empire by being inept or a despot.

Persians clearly were quite advanced civilization to be able to hold so much people together under one central authority.

You are talking about city-states vs a massive empire, of course a massive empire needed to have a central authority.

That being said the Persians gave far more freedoms and benefits to its provinces than particular greek city-states.

Thats why after Alexander conquered Persia he adopted the Persian satrapy system.

I was wondering how long it would take you to come here and start praising Persia.

Anyways you can t generalise city states. The powerful ones had colonies in Greece. Some were laid back, some were crushing their colonies with authority. It also depended on the historical relationship.

Some colonies just surrendered, while others were wiped out.

Sometimes a democratic conspiracy made a coup and seized power with the aid of Athens to overthrow the oligarchs. Then Sparta would come back and wipe everyone out, while Athens was busy conquering a spartan allie.

Greek city states came in all colours and shades and ancient Greece was a complex place.

But one thing I do know is that even in authoritarian Sparta there was some kind of rule law. Courts and tribunals. Persia was an absolute monarchy where the King had absolute power.

In the film I do remember the Persian King offering Leonidas peace and making him more powerful than ever, I think he said ruler of Greece?

Sounds like a sweet deal to me, cool guy.

You remember right and that and lines like "come and get them", "we fight in the shade" all come from the sources, as does Xerxes offer to make Leonidas warlord of all of Greece and chief general of the Persian military.

Our understanding of Ancient world is influenced by greek historians because they were the ones at the time who were writting stuff, that being said you dont create such a large long lasting empire by being inept or a despot.

Persians clearly were quite advanced civilization to be able to hold so much people together under one central authority.

Agree that the Persians were a great civilisation.

On historians : do we even have persian written sources that give Persia's side ? That's right we don't. Pretty much all we know of that period comes from Greek sources. So I ll guess we ll have to take Herodotos' word for it.

But I would like to add that Herodotos and Thucydides are generally recognised for being sufficiently neutral.

I was wondering how long it would take you to come here and start praising Persia.

Anyways you can t generalise city states. The powerful ones had colonies in Greece. Some were laid back, some were crushing their colonies with authority. It also depended on the historical relationship.

Some colonies just surrendered, while others were wiped out.

Sometimes a democratic conspiracy made a coup and seized power with the aid of Athens to overthrow the oligarchs. Then Sparta would come back and wipe everyone out, while Athens was busy conquering a spartan allie.

Greek city states came in all colours and shades and ancient Greece was a complex place.

But one thing I do know is that even in authoritarian Sparta there was some kind of rule law. Courts and tribunals. Persia was an absolute monarchy where the King had absolute power.

We were talking about Sparta, the one that had regular cullings of slave populations, does that sounds like an stable government to you?

And they had laws but little in the way of checks and balances so it was pretty normal for laws to be abused, after all even countries like North Korea have laws, what its written and whats followed are quite 2 different things.

If the Achaemenids had tried to follow a despot approach to empire management they would had not been that succesful, they would had been more like the greek "empires".

You remember right and that and lines like "come and get them", "we fight in the shade" all come from the sources, as does Xerxes offer to make Leonidas warlord of all of Greece and chief general of the Persian military.

That s correct. As is earth and water and drinking rivers dry. And Leonidas did sacrifice himself and his army.

But obviously there is also a bunch of stuff that was skewed or plain inaccurate.

Back