3-five-minute rounds isn't enough-

The sport is awesome, and I love watching all fights even if they are boring. However I think all things can improve, and that is all we're doing here trying to figure out a way to improve upon the model we already have.

I'm not 40, I'm not a Pride fanboy and I want to get rid of rounds and have only one 15 minute fight, and championship would be one 25 minute fight. No stand-ups, 12 to 6 elbow is allowed, fence grabbing is allowed. Average overweight american with no formal training? 10 years BJJ, Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Boxing, Kickboxing, you know the Martial Arts trend. So I think you're clueless and you need to go sit in the corner...

Good thing you're not a promoter or you would go broke faster than Nick Diaz did as one.

I love WMMA, and the best part is if the fight ever stalls on the ground I really enjoy looking at the women's bodies. White belt clinic? I have a few women I would like you to step into the ring with...

Am I the only one who thought of this when reading this post?

giphy.gif

only changes I'd add is.

Non-main event fight : 1st round 10mins 2nd and 3rd 5 mins
main event fight: 3 10 minute rounds

i'm not sure if your serious, but ya i think its obvious heavy's gas quicker then everyone else.?? and ya the UFC should consider how longer rounds would effect every division, that seems logical to me. whats the logic fail ?

The fact I have to hand hold with you scares me. Logic fail in regards to considering a heavyweight's conditioning when creating a way to structure rounds. That in my opinion is the most absurd thought process imaginable. I have trained with countless heavyweight fighters who don't gas. Yes, being big means you use a lot of energy and you are most likely going to execute less techniques. This is called the law of nature, and you want to structure the rounds based off only one weight class? So I say NO to that, the heavyweights can condition themselves better and pace themselves better. I am sorry if you blew your load in the first minute, not my problem. The other fighter should have an easy win if he was able to absorb the punishment and have enough in the tank to fire back. ALA Reem vs Big Foot. The fact you reiterate heavies gas quicker is only a testament to your lack of reading comprehension. I know it sucks, but into the corner with you...

Last time I heard sport was a business. Without the business there is no athletes & the main competitors are bums.

A 25 minute fight is pointless. The break is there is improve lactate levels. 25minutes irrespective of the athlete will end up one big sloppy mess, much akin to a 36 minute straight boxing bout.

7x5 is more than reasonable. I've spent 15 years boxing and 10 in MMA & Boxing has a higher movement output. MMA fighters should be able to last 7 rounds & if they can't they're inferior athletes.

Ah yes, sports are a business, thanks for the reminder! No, the break is arbitrary and based on absolutely nothing scientific. You have to understand these are the same people who don't allow a 12 to 6 elbow because of Karate on late night television. A 25 minute fight isn't pointless, not to me. I like to see continuous flow in a fight, the ups and downs occurring in one consecutive span of time. Rounds disrupt this, and are the antithesis to good fights. I disagree, it wouldn't delve into a sloppy mess. Ever heard of Bernard Hopkins? He spars 20+ rounds. Stop setting bars and limitations for fighters. Do you know that the sub-4 minute mile was believed to be impossible? Until one day someone showed everyone else it was possible. Within the next month multiple runners ran sub-4 minute miles. I am not budging, no rest. I am not kidding. Conditioning in my mind, even before skill-set is the most important trait a fighter could ever possess. All this time spent with strength and conditioning trainers only to cut so much weight it becomes a burden rather than an advantage. You've put in a good amount of time training so I'll hold your opinions with more weight, however I have both trained and put a lot of time into the science of the human body. A longer fight with no breaks would allow the best conditioned athletes to DOMINATE! All day long, these other guys can't even go 3 hard minutes, I mean HARD minutes, they're exhausted after 4 minutes of hard wrestling. That isn't every fighter, and the fighters with the best conditioning would have the opportunity, and the time to punish these guys. I think the fights would be dramatic and amazing.

... because every account here is a prepubescent.

Relating this to boxing, I have to watch Floyds fights on 30 minute delay to fast forward his point fest. More time would be more tap n run.

Well as someone who trains in boxing and loves technique, there is no better fighter to watch than Floyd. You might not enjoy his fights but I revel in his glory as a fighter.

Am I the only one who thought of this when reading this post?

giphy.gif

I didn't even claim to grab a woman? I said I enjoy looking at the bodies of in shape women. I am sorry you don't...

There's a reason why PRIDE has so much nostalgia and that's because it just got everything right.

10-5-5 with sudden death was perfect. If Unified rules would adopt this and judging the whole fight rather than the rounds, I'd be pretty happy. MMA in the U.S.A. is too based on boxing rules and regulations. They are different sports and should be treated as such.

Just stop, all sport is physically taxing. What, you want to make this like K-1? Annoyingly short? This isn't a tournament pal.

Do you understand the difference between sprinting and long distance running? Yes, it is a matter of poor cardio and poor choices. You're telling me the best conditioned athletes in the world can't sprint for 15 minutes straight? YOU DON'T SAY SHERLOCK! Go train or something, you're clueless. Grappling IS NOT FAR MORE EXHAUSTING THAN BOXING, pfff, get out of here already pal. Put any wrestler in a boxing ring and watch him die in 3 minutes. The human body adapts to the work we give it, this is called understanding biology and the human anatomy. Even kickboxing is more tiring than boxing? You're clueless. Go take a few classes is physiology please...and in the meantime INTO THE CORNER WITH YOU!
Physically it takes more energy to lift your own bodyweight up onto your shoulder than throw a punch. Physically it takes more energy to throw a kick than throw a punch.

The longer you make a MMA fight or any fight the slower paced the fight. Shorter fights lead to a faster pace because athletes don't have to think about conserving for later rounds.

Use your sprinting example. The longer you make a race the slower the pace of the run. MMA is more of a sprint sport as is K-1. If you take a MMA fight from 5 to 7 rounds you only succeed in slowing down the pace of the fight.

The fact I have to hand hold with you scares me. Logic fail in regards to considering a heavyweight's conditioning when creating a way to structure rounds. That in my opinion is the most absurd thought process imaginable. I have trained with countless heavyweight fighters who don't gas. Yes, being big means you use a lot of energy and you are most likely going to execute less techniques. This is called the law of nature, and you want to structure the rounds based off only one weight class? So I say NO to that, the heavyweights can condition themselves better and pace themselves better. I am sorry if you blew your load in the first minute, not my problem. The other fighter should have an easy win if he was able to absorb the punishment and have enough in the tank to fire back. ALA Reem vs Big Foot. The fact you reiterate heavies gas quicker is only a testament to your lack of reading comprehension. I know it sucks, but into the corner with you...

I never said they should structure the rounds/time based off of one division. I said they should consider how it would effect each division and determine whether it would be better for the UFC or not. The only reason i said they should consider adjusting shit for the heavies is b/c most casual fans want to see heavyweights fight. And UFC already has alot of heavies that gas early, so do they really want to add more rounds and time to make this problem worse. Dana knows this that is probably why Cain vs JDS on Fox 1 was chosen.
and then you saying "the heavies can just condition themselves better blah blah blah, they why don't they? how come every heavyweight in the division right now isn't just like Cain ?

I love WMMA, and the best part is if the fight ever stalls on the ground I really enjoy looking at the women's bodies. White belt clinic? I have a few women I would like you to step into the ring with...

Ugh...the logic fail by people amazes me. So heavy guys get tired more easily huh? I guess we should always consider the heavyweights when making rules because we don't want them to get too tired right? INTO THE CORNER WITH YOU!

and secondly why are you so serious/mad ?? calm down man your acting like one of those people that thinks there always right and smarter than everyone else .

I agree wholeheartedly. 5 rounds for non-title fights and 7, possibly 10 rounds for title fights.

Bitches with no cardio can get the fuck out.

PRIDE style 10 minute opening round is definitely more conducive to grappling, too. Though in that case, 1x10 + 3x5 is ok IMO (25mins fight time, less rounds).

Also... NO STAND-UPS!!!!!

There's a reason why PRIDE has so much nostalgia and that's because it just got everything right.

10-5-5 with sudden death was perfect. If Unified rules would adopt this and judging the whole fight rather than the rounds, I'd be pretty happy. MMA in the U.S.A. is too based on boxing rules and regulations. They are different sports and should be treated as such.
Riiiight Pride got everything right... No drug testing, fixed fights, mismatches, freakshows, fighters getting short notice and being forced to fight...Pride got everything right.

I don't like people using the "sprinting" analogy. It's not always a sprint, it is sometimes, but not always, and it shouldn't be always. If the guy who sprints can't finish the fight that way, that should come into play. That is the reality of fighting. 3-5's is a damn 5 round Boxing match, and having grappled with pro's for a few years, I know how tiring it can be, but it's the same for both guys. I would say longer duration fights would convince a lot of guys to try harder to finish earlier, actually. The "sprinters" would really, really have to go for it to have a chance.

At all.

It's a five round Boxing match.. No Boxing match worth spit is less than 8 rounds, that is 24 minutes.. And really, any decent fight is minimum 10 rounds. MMA and it's grappling soul actually kind of states that MORE time is needed, not less, especially per round, of course. 10-5-5 would be about a 7 round Boxing match, respectively. The UFC could cut down a bit on its roster with longer bouts, and 3 round BS decisions based on a couple TDs could help to be reduced. Anybody else think 3-5's just isn't enough? It really isn't.

Show of hands...who here's been in an elite-level MMA bout...EVER?

Show of hands...who here's been in an elite-level MMA bout...EVER?

I've been in about 15 real fights.. And I've spent an hour grappling (getting my arse kicked) with guys fighting at a relatively high level and a hundred occasions. I've also cornered guys at smaller shows and a couple KOTC events. That doesn't make me an expert, but what are you tying to say?

I've been in about 15 real fights.. And I've spent an hour grappling (getting my arse kicked) with guys fighting at a relatively high level and a hundred occasions. I've also cornered guys at smaller shows and a couple KOTC events. That doesn't make me an expert, but what are you tying to say?

I'm trying to put things into perspective...

I can almost guarantee that the current time/round format was agreed to by promoters and fighters alike at some point.

We've seen what 3 and 5 round wars can do to fighters. Adding more rounds can only exhaust the vast majority of fighters.

If it ain't broke, why try and fix it?

The 10 minute first round fights for HW would be similar to that time where the UFC held a few HW fights on that card in Colorado a year or so ago where every HW fighter was gassed out hard halfway through the first round.

That was hilarious but fuck was that a disaster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back